C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

engine seized, i messed up, please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by vdubpower
but dont i still own the parts, so essentially i should be able to keep them right

if they totaled the car, id get like 15K, wtf can i buy with that. my car was pretty much pristine minus this incident.
Where did you get that $15,000 info? I think they'd pay much more than that.

And $15,000 can get you an 06 C230. I'd rather my car be totalled as well.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
just going by KBB for the estimated value

im a little perturbed right now, i called my shop, and asked them about the engine parts, ifi can have them..
and as expected, i got the " why do u want the engine back, what are u gonna do with it.." and i got the " well this is an engine exchange and we will send back those parts"

so after asking why that is, i was pretty much told to mind my own business and let them handle everything ... etc

so i dont want to cause a rukus with my shop obviously as they are working on my car and ineed it to be fixed ,but i also dont want any funny business

ofcourse i called the salvage yard where the engine is coming from , and asked them if this was a buy/exchange and they said NO cuz it is an out of state sale and they dont need the parts back.

i still am not able to get a price of the engine that my shop paid to the yard. my guess its probably cheaper than what was alocated to them from the iniitial estimate with the other salvage yrd
Sure, if the parts are mine, i want to do whatever with them, not them...but i feel like my hands are tied in this cuz i need my car done

i cant realistically take my car to another place, its just not feasable. i guess i just need to let them do the work, and hope for thebest
Old 09-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
dude wtf where did you take your car? sounds like a shady shop. i would say f them and find another shop that will be honest with you and not try and steal parts that belong to you. also i bet they are going to make a lot of money on this because you know they got a good deal on the engine because it sat for two years and they bought it before you even agreed to do the repair. if it was me i would get a rental if needed and pick the car up and take it to a place that won't try to make a quick buck off of you. i would call your insurance company and make sure that they are not requesting the parts to verify that you can have them. as i said earlier they got a complete engine right? if they did they will end up with a lot of electronics and parts that they can resell and make even more money that should be yours. and to flat out lie that it was an exchange would make me get really angry with them. you must have patience because i would be in jail right now. sorry for the rant just makes me angry when shops rip people off.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Quietly remind them of your legal rights. Do so in writing if necessary. Tell them they will be held to a warranty on all the work they do.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i made mention to the insurance agent a few days ago, in regards to documentation of all items purchased, esp after i was told a different engine was bought versus the one the local adjuster had found.

they told me well because i chose the shop that i have to request it from them. It seems odd seeing that AAA sent them a 6 grand check i guess to do the work. I would think they want some info, but i guess not

i guess they dont care as much , or atleast AAA influence is not as much because my insurance is South California AAA and the situation is out of state to them.

in regards to the repair shop, im trying to give them benefit of doubt.
ive gone to them for 3 yrs for the w203 A and B services, always only paid around 150 for stuff that was just needed to be done. they told at times that for instance i didnt need a new cabin filter because the one i have was good, and things like that, they never seemed to try to make me over pay. they would even tell me where they get parts so i can do DIY stuff on own.
Ive take my w126 there too for service.

i dont know, im just gonna lay low for now,
they are giving me a 12month warrenty, so i guess i have that
Old 09-23-2009, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
You're being jerked around. I would never allow myself to be jerked around like that. It is still YOUR car.

By the way, KBB values and what insurance companies pay on cars are usually much, much different. They valued my 07 Civic Si at 16,500 and my insurance company valued it at $20,400.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

update
so the shop called, said the engine is in, and all working fine
but they noticed the ac compressor and alternator were making noise due to the water. the y had the adjuster comeback out and OK repair of those parts now. Also. so thats where we stand
Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
update
so the shop called, said the engine is in, and all working fine
but they noticed the ac compressor and alternator were making noise due to the water. the y had the adjuster comeback out and OK repair of those parts now. Also. so thats where we stand
so you didn't get the ac compressor or alternator off the old one? didn't your insurance pay for the full engine which i assume came with all that stuff. just asking . too bad that this has turned into such a long ordeal for you and i hope you can be very soon. i would recommend that you take it easy through parking lots while it is raining though . i hope you are able to laugh about this already. if not i withdraw my . and will ask again in a few months.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah if all goes well it will be an afterthought

im just playing waiting game
Old 10-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds as though they are doing a thorough job. If insurance is prepared to be buggered around with then let them get on with it.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
vdubpower do you have your car back?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nope not yet
Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
nope not yet
still whats wrong now?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just waiting for them to finish i guess, they had to do the ac compressor and alternator
i have no idea what that takes
they said there was noise from bearings due to water damage
Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
just waiting for them to finish i guess, they had to do the ac compressor and alternator
i have no idea what that takes
they said there was noise from bearings due to water damage
oh well good luck with that . if they are replacing them that should not take more than a few hours. keep us posted hope that the new engine runs well and is clean inside.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

got my car back

but there are some issues

the sunroof and one touch window system is sketchy, doesnt fully work smoothly
i remember this happened once to me before when the battery died....
the repair shop has test driven the car 50m iles so i would have thought it would have come back by now? dunno

the locking system also seems semi responsive

in terms of the engine and drive, it seems fine, pick up wise, it feels like it moves the same.

they installed also new air cond compressor and alternator

they showed me my old engine and the water in it.
they said they were gonna send it back to the california salvage yard.....i dont think they will...esp when i had asked the salvage yrd myself and they said they dont need it....

the fog lights still have some water condensation in them so i need to take it back to get those cleaned out. they said try running them and see if that takes care of it. i would have thought that the car sitting in south florida heat would have taken car of it, if anything.

hmm what else... oh i asked about the cpu. they said the cpu is the same one i had, and does not need to be changed to match the new engine
Old 10-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
got my car back

but there are some issues

the sunroof and one touch window system is sketchy, doesnt fully work smoothly
i remember this happened once to me before when the battery died....
the repair shop has test driven the car 50m iles so i would have thought it would have come back by now? dunno

the locking system also seems semi responsive

in terms of the engine and drive, it seems fine, pick up wise, it feels like it moves the same.

they installed also new air cond compressor and alternator

they showed me my old engine and the water in it.
they said they were gonna send it back to the california salvage yard.....i dont think they will...esp when i had asked the salvage yrd myself and they said they dont need it....

the fog lights still have some water condensation in them so i need to take it back to get those cleaned out. they said try running them and see if that takes care of it. i would have thought that the car sitting in south florida heat would have taken car of it, if anything.

hmm what else... oh i asked about the cpu. they said the cpu is the same one i had, and does not need to be changed to match the new engine
That is great also nice that you have a new alternator and ac compressor. now go have some fun but not with water around
Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Great news - Good luck - Sounds like you just need to resynch everything. You should ask insurance if you can have the old engine if you want it. It technically belongs to them.

I find it interesting that no adaption was required for the ECU. Maybe this is just a South African thing because of our high rate of car theft. Our Mercs have a more robust anti theft system fitted than ROW. But I've heard others on the forum mention it so who knows.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks everyone

well this is what the guy told me about the ecu

how do i resync everything?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Great news - Good luck - Sounds like you just need to resynch everything. You should ask insurance if you can have the old engine if you want it. It technically belongs to them.

I find it interesting that no adaption was required for the ECU. Maybe this is just a South African thing because of our high rate of car theft. Our Mercs have a more robust anti theft system fitted than ROW. But I've heard others on the forum mention it so who knows.
Yes, but how would the ECU know it's attached to a different engine if it's the same mode enginel? All of the variables should be within the ball park of the old engine, and it should adapt after a few miles. All of the electronics on the network are the same, it's just new sensors and it has no way of knowing that.

If they tried installing the junkyard engine with its ECU, then I imagine it wouldn't work due to the other components (TCU, etc) having different "serial numbers" (whatever the identifier is called). In that situation I believe SCN coding would be required.

Last edited by acr2001; 10-09-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

SA models have a VIN number tie between ECU & engine. How this is achieved I do not know. Your speculation might well be correct. I will investigate.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't want to have a go at the shop that did the install I think you will find some of the resynch data here - the rest is scattered all over the forum.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...g-battery.html

Take a look & post what you are still having trouble with & I'll help you search.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well whatever the case is....

i was told that if plugged into star diag, it will not show anything unusual, or revealing....

any idea on the synching?

withthe door locks, u have to stand no more than a foot close to the driver door to unlock, lock , panic or open trunk? tried with both keyfobs too
Old 10-10-2009, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i got the windows / sunroof sortedout, i forgot that instructions was in the book

so its just the alarm system now, i dont know whts up with that
Old 10-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350

with the door locks, u have to stand no more than a foot close to the driver door to unlock, lock , panic or open trunk? tried with both keyfobs too
sounds like another problem with your car and not a sync issue. i have no clue how to search the problem but others have had this problem when they put tint on the car. are you pointing the remote towards the ir sensor or not. because if you are sounds like the rf is out. do you have fine fm reception?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: engine seized, i messed up, please help