C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

y do people buy c-classes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' 335i coupe
Cool y do people buy c-classes

just wondering y do people buy c-classes....just for the name?
Old 02-25-2003, 08:40 PM
Guest0001

looks nice, its smooth, its a benz, it has prestige, has a presence, has a nice interior, imo is the best enrtry level car

take a good look at the car and then sit inside take it for a drive and you will know why people buy c classes
Old 02-25-2003, 08:42 PM
Guest0001

also safety, comfort and reliability, add to that it is tank, built quality is exeptional, very strong.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
I really like the way it looks. With some Sweet 18 or 19" wheels and lowered this thing looks Niceee.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:49 PM

02 C32AMG
I got mine for performance and luxury.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:51 PM

A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
Originally posted by Iceman's C230
I really like the way it looks. With some Sweet 18 or 19" wheels and lowered this thing looks Niceee.
especially if it's on a C32 AMG.....looks soooo niceeeee
Guest0001

rusboy is ur car a fill limo tint? looks nice, do u have a bigger pic? i was thinking bout tinting my car

thanks
Banned

W203
C Class

A Mercedes will always be a Mercedes. Comfortability & style! It's just an around vehicle that feels like what you paid for. I've converted some of my friends who have driven other models *cough* BMW and they enjoy the ride. The only complaint that most people will give you is the slowness and the light handling that a Mercedes has. Of course, you can't complain because you know that you are buying a nice ride. Hey...if you want it to ride stiff, then go ahead and do something about it! I enjoy cruising myself. That's just me!

I'm happy!
Old 02-25-2003, 09:24 PM

I'm considering buying a C230 sedan just because it seems to be the best deal out there, dollar-for-dollar, for the features I value (safety, performance, reliability).

I've even built an excel model to help me subjectively compare across categories and brands, I'm such a geek! Maybe I could sell it to MB as a sales tool... haha.

My other choices are the new Accord EX (great price, but less car and not as safe), A4 3.0 (very poor reliability) and used S60 2.4T/T5 (too many rattles, weird interior / looks, not hot on reliability).

Honestly, I really wish the Mercedes emblem wasn't on this car I want, it remains a major barrier to my purchase. I'm a very 'practical' person and the branding makes me feel self-concious. I could really do without the raised eyebrows from friends and family, ya know? Ah well... a bridge I have to cross...
Old 02-25-2003, 10:09 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by AudiDude
Honestly, I really wish the Mercedes emblem wasn't on this car I want, it remains a major barrier to my purchase. I'm a very 'practical' person and the branding makes me feel self-concious. I could really do without the raised eyebrows from friends and family, ya know? Ah well... a bridge I have to cross...
I understand the feeling. Had some of those thoughts myself. HOWEVER, you can minimize the "look at me in my Mercedes" feelings by replacing that upright star on the hood with the flat emblem. Much more sedate, less obvious, you don't have to look at the star from the driver's seat anymore, and only costs $25-$30 at the dealer.

My brother-in-law will not sit in my C320 because he thinks it's a snob brand. His loss, not mine. Everyone else who asks or makes remarks, I say, "It's just a car and an entry level MB at that. Lots of people spend more money on a stupid SUV." It seems to work. Besides, it you're an "audidude," you're already into upscale cars. Might as well get what you want. But it's up to you, of course.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 02-25-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I bought the C-class because at the time I didn't have the credit to get anything else. My credit was tied up in an 00' bimmer at the time I bought this. Oddly enough, it is a strong, safe base to build a weekend warrior out of. Hence modifications planned. A little heavy, a low rung on the MB ladder, but with MBCC financing, something up a few rungs isn't too far off. Plus I love my C at this point. An excellent mix of sport and refinement.

giddy-up
Old 02-25-2003, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How many of your friends/family will know the distinction btwn MB, Audi, and Volvo. All the same to most people anyway.

Practical? What more practical then a sporty sedan or coupe with more airbags per dollar? You got kids? Planning on having any? Get a Benz. Get a C. Love it, it's more practical then an E or CLK. Great car plus you can bank some $ for that new home...
Old 02-25-2003, 11:20 PM

I hear you, nukblazi - that's the same conclusion my model led me to as well. Really, these cars may supplant the 1.8T A4 as the "best bang-for-the-buck" in the class. Especially when considering safety, my primary criteria.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:26 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by nukblazi
How many of your friends/family will know the distinction btwn MB, Audi, and Volvo. All the same to most people anyway.

Practical? What more practical then a sporty sedan or coupe with more airbags per dollar? You got kids? Planning on having any? Get a Benz. Get a C. Love it, it's more practical then an E or CLK. Great car plus you can bank some $ for that new home...
bro i think everybody knows what a mercedes benz is

if anybody cannot distiguish the 3-pointed star then they must have serous problems

the funny thing is they have no idea how much i paid, some illerates think every benz is like 60 - 70 thousand dollars everyone ahhhhhs ever mercedes, whether they show it or not.

i also love the fact that it looks sooo much like the S class from the rear and side
Old 02-25-2003, 11:38 PM
Guest0001

I'm considering buying a C230 sedan just because it seems to be the best deal out there, dollar-for-dollar, for the features I value (safety, performance, reliability).

I've even built an excel model to help me subjectively compare across categories and brands, I'm such a geek! Maybe I could sell it to MB as a sales tool... haha.

My other choices are the new Accord EX (great price, but less car and not as safe), A4 3.0 (very poor reliability) and used S60 2.4T/T5 (too many rattles, weird interior / looks, not hot on reliability).

a barrier? dude its just a car. who cares what they think of you, what u drive is what u drive. period. it doesnt tranform you into a snob. (unless u are on from the get go) and if ur family and friends think this way then i really feel sorry for you. also if u dont want raised eyebrows this car is not for you at all. thats bridge is gonna be awfully hard isnt it?

one more thing. if u wish the benz emblem wasnt on the car then please dont get it. one thing i hate is self consesous people who are insecure like that. stick to ur audi or honda then, no one will notice you and will be much happier. if u aint gonna be proud of ur car then dont buy it! it sounds pathetic. i would thiink u would be thrilled to be owning a benz...
Old 02-25-2003, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personaly the 3 point star was a huge deterant. I've had 3 before a long time ago and they were not the most realiable cars, 1 was taken back under the lemon law when it was first out in 1984, the next one was a replacement that was not much better. My parents thought it was because it was the lowly bottom end so the got an e-class and it caught on fire while driving on the freeway.

So the question is why did I go back? The loaners, 4 years free maintenance, free car washes whenever I want, dealer 1 mile from house and good customer service all in a $25K package. Did I buy it because it's a Benz, NO, I got it because it was a nice car with nice service for the money. I figured that over the last 18 years that quality was up but boy was I wrong. After this one I'll wait another 18 years so see if they've improved or not! Next car is the 2005 Mustang GT Convertible. Had 5 Mustangs and not a bad one in the pack.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Y a Benz

Well, I would prefer to have been able to buy a brand new Peugeot 406 Coupé. Truly matchless Pininfarina styling, Ferrari class without the headaches or punishing cost. The 406 C puts any Mercedes design to shame from the point of view of sheer beauty, though I must say Benzes have been getting a little more attractive recently.

I have owned five Peugeots and all of them have been marvellous, 100% reliable cars. There's certainly no snob-effect to worry about in a Peugeot, even a nice-looking Pininfarina-built model like my 404 C. My daily driver 405 has 285,000 km under its belt (nearly 180K miles) and it's going strong.

Alas Peugeots have not been sold in North America for 12 years now, so we had to look at our second choice, Mercedes.

Luckily the C 230 K does not actually look like a Mercedes, so the snob-effect is not to be worried about in most cases. Nor does it have the Luftwaffe gunsight hood ornament In fact, it's the similarity of the C 230 K with panorama roof to the 1984 Renault Fuego with fabric roof, that we once owned, that initially attracted us.

But if Peugeot had been selling the 406 Coupé here a year ago, it'd have been no contest...
Old 02-26-2003, 12:41 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by Rusboy
I got mine for performance and luxury.
SAME
Old 02-26-2003, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Buellwinkle, you've posted "your story" about why you own a C-class and why MB's are junk and why you want a Mustang next, like 10 times since I've been on this board (less than a year). Maybe you could just paste a link to one of those old posts. Sorry, but its just so boring to peruse this forum and have to re-read the same old story time and time again If you do plan to continue to post "your story", again and again, you could at least get with that Tommy guy who is always making up crazy stuff that has happened to him and his car, and get some creative ideas to spice up "your story"
If anyone thinks I'm lying about the constant rehashing of this lame premise, just enter "Buellwinkle" along with "cookies" first, then with "car washes" into this site's search engine and count the number of times Buellwinkle has to justify his purchase of such a POS.

Last edited by Jim Banville; 02-26-2003 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by Jim Banville
you could at least get with that Tommy guy who is always making up crazy stuff that has happened to him and his car, and get some creative ideas to spice up "your story"
Jim, I'm assuming that you're talking about our favorite virgin, Timmy, and not me?
The stories I make up usually have some chance of being real.

I do have to agree with you about Buell, though. If I hear the "free cookies" story one more time, I'm going to trade my car in.

Anyway, I got my Benz because I wanted a 4-person hatch, and there aren't many out there, especially that have people room and cargo room.

Mike, good comparison. I had forgotten about the Fuego, but did really like it when it was out. We need French cars back in this country; hopefully, Alfa will do well enough to convince Peugeot and Citroen to try here again. Hopefully, they've fixed their spotty reliability in the meantime.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Originally posted by tommy
Jim, I'm assuming that you're talking about our favorite virgin, Timmy, and not me?
Yup thats me.

Now as for the free cookies thing, I have no problem with that. Although free cookies isn't enough to make me buy a particular brand car. On the other hand, when the Ford dealer starts having the off-topic girls offering blow-jobs, I'll line up to buy a new Focus
Old 02-26-2003, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have to agree with you about Buell, though. If I hear the "free cookies" story one more time, I'm going to trade my car in.
Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to mention the free cookies, that was the deal closer.

Would you really buy a car from the German's now that they've shown their true color, the cowards they really are, afraid of a little cleanup in the gulf? Frankly I'll be proud once more to own an American car.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Ah, the smell of jingoism in the morning.

If I had to, I guess I could buy either a PT Cruiser turbo, Jeep Liberty, or Focus SVT, but I'd hate for it to come to that. How about Hondas made in the US? Do they count?

Of course, while we're at it, we should then boycott all Asian makes as well, since we're still "defending" their borders for free.

I think that leaves us all driving American cars, Ferraris, or Lambos. Could be worse.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:23 AM

Hey noblert10, take it easy.

While most members of this board know about the value delivered by the C-class, believe it or not, a lot of people out there think you bought your car just for the brand - and that you can't afford a 'real' Mercedes. Thus, the main purpose of my statement was to act as a counterpoint to such suppositions... maybe to help all the lurkers out there who are like me.

After 2 pos S-classes and one good T300D, my entire family carries a certain level of (justified?) skepticism regarding MB. It takes a lot to jump back in after getting burned - this is to the credit of your car.

Sorry, I'll never be 'proud' of the car I drive, per se. But I will take pride in making informed decisions and taking steps to protect my family. Different perspectives? Fine by me, carry-on.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:29 AM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Tommy, you forgot about the Aston Martins !!!

Ah, the smell of jingoism in the morning.

If I had to, I guess I could buy either a PT Cruiser turbo, Jeep Liberty, or Focus SVT, but I'd hate for it to come to that. How about Hondas made in the US? Do they count?

Of course, while we're at it, we should then boycott all Asian makes as well, since we're still "defending" their borders for free.

I think that leaves us all driving American cars, Ferraris, or Lambos. Could be worse.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: y do people buy c-classes