C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Runs rough, crapload of codes! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 c230
Runs rough, crapload of codes! HELP!!!

Ok, I have a 2003 C230 Kompressor

It has 8 codes and runs rough. It acts like it is misfiring all the time when at idle.

The codes are:

P0130 - O2 SENSOR MALFUNCTION. BANK 1, SENSOR 1.

P0136 - O2 SENSOR MALFUNCTION. BANK 1 SENSOR 2.

P0137 - 02 SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW VOLTAGE. BANK 1 SENSOR 2.

P0138 - O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH VOLTAGE. BANK 1 SENSOR 2.

P0301 - CYLINDER 1 MISFIRE.

P0302 - CYLINDER 2 MISFIRE.

P0303 - CYLINDER 3 MISFIRE.

P0600 - SERIAL COMMUNICATION LINK MALFUNCTION.

I am guessing the p0600 doesn't mean a lot. Maybe I am wrong. I have a few years experience working on cars so I can do almost any repair myself. I have a diagnostic scanner that I pulled the codes with, which can also give me live data from a lot of the sensors while the car is running or KOEO. I also have Freeze Frame Data that was stored when the P0301 code was stored, and I wrote down all live data while the car was running with the codes still stored, and live data, running, after I erased the codes and waited for it to go into closed loop if that will help anyone give me advice. I have already had the recall for the hose under the airbox performed so it is not the rubber hose anymore, it is the plastic one now. Please give me any advice on what you think may lead to fixing my car. Thanks so much, Kenneth
Old 09-18-2009, 09:12 PM

03 c230
24 views on this post and no one has anything to say? Please help me!! Aren't there any MB techs on here?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
Originally Posted by eisenhauer01
24 views on this post and no one has anything to say? Please help me!! Aren't there any MB techs on here?
dk go to a indy... and with a star diagnostic
Old 09-19-2009, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moped
whats the mileageon your car?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:40 AM

2000 ML55/Kleeman Headers
Change airfilter and

check Mass airflow sensor. Do the o2 sensors if your close to 80,000 miles. You can get your star codes first but my guess is MAS.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:24 AM

03 c230
mileage is right around 110k. Mass air live data looks good running and no mass air codes are/were present. I can't get all the o2 sensor readings but the ones I can get are telling me that the car is running rich.. and, in hand with that.. the short term fuel trims are in the negatives all the time (trying to lean it out). The short term fuel trims are neg. because the engine is misfiring constantly and not burning the fuel.. the unburnt fuel goes to the o2 sensors.. they read rich.. and the computer tells the fuel trims to cut back. So it all goes hand in hand. I really dont have the money to take it to the dealership. I am pretty mechanically inclined.. i just dont know a heck of a lot about MB vehicles specifics. Hope this helps..
Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 AM

03 c230
Ok, i just got to thinking, and I am wrong about the o2 sensor.. it was not reading rich. Before clearing the codes, which resets everything.. the bank 1 sensor 2 o2 (after cat) was reading .4v, and not changing. which is good. it should be right around there and be steady, not fluctuating. so, it wasn't reading rich or lean. I then cleared codes, and looked at all the data again. After cleared, i waited for it to go back into closed loop. It did, and the o2 bank1 sensor 2 read .1v, not really changing. which means the engine is running lean, but maybe it was just because i had just reset the computer? idk.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Replace the upstream & downstream O2 sensors with genuine heated sensors. They probably exceed prescribed cycle times.

Clean & check the MAF

600 code is nothing to worry about & typical.

It's unusual for both sensors to go at the same time but I've seen it happen. Have you been using any sprays containing silicone under the hood anywhere? If so this will instantly poisen the sensors if ingested by the engine..
Old 09-19-2009, 04:32 PM

2014 Mercedes Benz E350
my car is an 2003 c230 too. and it is just about tht time to change some sensors ur gonna be gettin alot more of those errors from now on thts what is happening to my car now the dealership said it happens.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

O2 sensors have a very rough design life of 80,000 miles before they cycle too slowly.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 PM

2001 C320
Misfiring in general can be due to an ignition problem. Then the unburned fuel goes out the exhaust and the control loop tries to compensate by making it leaner. Not saying this is it but something to consider. I had to change my MAF at about 60K. It might help to remove the MAF and eyeball it. Mine was obviously broken when I checked it. I was working on a Volvo one day and it ran much better with the MAF (broken) totally unplugged from the computer !
Old 09-20-2009, 02:35 AM

2000 ML55/Kleeman Headers
get your o2 sensor here

http://www.autohausaz.com

Make sure it is Bosch and original fit. I am going through this crap right now. Every now and then when I get on my ML it pops and sputters missfire on five cyl. then I keystroke it and it goes away. reading indicate another o2 sensor failing so I have it on order. I just replaced the driver side after cat sensor now I have to do the other. Called MBI in Portland and Kleeman in Colorado and they both said it may be a MAS going bad so if it continues after the o2 sens I will change the MAS. Look if you dont figure it out your gonna ruin your motor. Not woth about 500.00 in parts to gamble with. Besides your overdue for the parts
Old 09-20-2009, 03:04 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
sounds like a wiring harness issue or your coil packs. switch any one of the misfiring coils to the #4 that's not and see if it triggers misfire code on #4. If it doesn't it might be your wiring harness or cam sensor.

02 sensor might have only been f-ed due to dumping un-burned fuel into the exhaust OR it could simply be a harness issue triggering all codes.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:42 PM

03 c230
yea, i dont know what the upstream o2 is reading, i cant pull it up. the downstream looks good. and this car is misfiring like a sob. i think i am gonna pull the mafs out and take a look at it. i have changed numerous of these on other cars. if it looks good or i clean it and it doesnt help me i am going to unplug the harness from the mafs and see if it runs any better off of the preset values in the computer for that particular sensor. (maybe there is a small break or something i cant see.) if that does nothing for me.. then i will switch 3 and 4 spark plugs. i wish i could look at a powerbalance while the engine is running on this car. that would be great.. my handheld isnt THAT good haha. anyways, ok well yall have been a great help so far. I will let you know what happens and may be back for more info :-) thanks a lot!!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
Please let us know. Having an '03 myself, I'm very interested in this thread.....
Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 PM

2010 C63
The chances of either both O2 sensors or 3 coil packs going at the same time are slim (but anything is possible) - and I am not sure how misfires would result from bad O2 sensors. So start with MAF sensor and see what happens. Replacing the O2 sensors is probably good preventative maintence at this mileage, but likely not the problem.

Or maybe you got some bad gas or your fuel filter is crapping out? Just thinking out loud.

My .02 - and it is worth what you paid for it.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 PM

a g
Check the fuel injectors, and fuel pressure at each cylinder and the fuel rail. Just be careful when removing any fuel related parts as pressure builds quickly and if you aren't careful you could spray fuel all over the engine.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by FrankW
sounds like a wiring harness issue or your coil packs. switch any one of the misfiring coils to the #4 that's not and see if it triggers misfire code on #4. If it doesn't it might be your wiring harness or cam sensor.

02 sensor might have only been f-ed due to dumping un-burned fuel into the exhaust OR it could simply be a harness issue triggering all codes.
I agree with this. Check your cam sensors and make sure they haven't leaked oil into the wiring.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Seeing that everybody is choosing to ignore what the diagnostics are telling you & you are getting no fuel trim codes. I suggest that you also look at vacuum & other pipework air leaks. A couple of hoses are known to fail on the M271 engine.

You also have the MY engine that is prone to cylinder head failure & deposits that build up jamming valves & causing detonation & misfies. So do a compression test or leakdown test.

My inclination is to first check only things related to the O2 sensors & they are:

The O2 sensors themselves that you seem reluctant to replace & should (you can't check the cycle times easily) & things that can effect the readings they give which is oil in the engine harness from leaking cam sensors.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 PM

03 c230
ok, i will try to reply to all. i am about to go outside and unplug the mafs and see what happens when it has to run off preset values. i havent replaced the o2 sensors yet because i have a hard time believeing that they both went bad at once.. however i agree with all that they need replaced.. i just want to fix the problem before replacing them because i dont want to replace them with the engine misfiring and have them get loaded up with a bunch of unburnt fuel from the misfire. so i will definately replace them after i figure out what is causing the misfire. i agree the compression should be checked and if it comes to that i have no problem doing it. i want to replace the fuel filter as well seeing that i dont know when the last time it has been changed is. i will let you all know what happens. thanks so much for your help!! you have really pointed me in many great directions!!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

The trouble is that the upstream sensor might be shutting down the injectors & causing the misfires. The downstream sensor really tells you how well the cat is performing. Check harness for oil. Pull off cam sensor plugs on front of engine & look for oil.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 AM

03 c230
ok, I will check that first. that sounds about right. i looked at the cam sensors before, i didnt dissconnect them, but they appeared dry from just looking at them and the wires and connectors. I will unplug them and see what the harness and connectors look like today. I unplugged the MAFS just to see what would happen and it runs exactly the same. i figured it would just was hoping to draw a lucky straw. but, yea, even with the mafs unplugged the car still runs terrible. Thanks for the help people!!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM

If you haven't done so already, you might want to check your catalytic converter. Same thing happened to me and the honeycomb inside the cat came lose which clogged the cylinders.

I'm pretty sure your cat is the problem...If you hear rattling from it, then that's my assumption.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:26 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
the 02 sensor error msg may also come on when there too little or too much flow reading as it has happened on those that replaced the primary with high flow one and not gap the fitting for the 02 sensor properly. it doesn't shut the cylinder down tho or at least from what i've read.

start from the most obvious and easiest thing to replace. coils, plugs, cam sensor, and check for oil leak.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM

03 c230
ok, checked for oil leak at cam sensors down harness. looks pretty dry. a little damp at the actual connector but definately nothing after that, so that is out. I am still going to replace the fuel filter as this needs done. Ok, now let me tell you all what i did today and see what everyone thinks.. I cleared codes and everything so the computer would be cleaned off and reset. now, I started the car.. misfiring terribly. Next, I unplugged the upstream o2 sensor..
and started the car. It ran perfect. No misfire nothing. I realize that the computer did not go into the closed loop of course because there was no o2 for the computer to use to adjust other values (since the o2 means everything to the computer when in closed loop) and it was just running off preset values for the upstream o2. It DID make the car run perfect.. so I am thinking that the upstream o2 is trashed and giving the computer bad info making all the conditions to be present. It needed changed like 30k miles ago anyways. So...What do you think?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Runs rough, crapload of codes! HELP!!!