C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HID PROJECTOR RETROFIT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
I emailed the company that the original poster posted and he quoted me quite alot. I've contacted my local retrofitter, but no more replies after some emails back and forth with the guy

I think it's worth it to get a brand new set from MBNZL since most people sell their used one for $1000

I'll email him, maybe he still has stock
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 PM

2007 c230
you guys have local retofitters??? i'm from long island and I can't find one except the one in NYC
Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 PM

2007 c230
great DYI retrofit. But my question is i'm using my OEM headlamps bad idea???
Old 10-03-2009, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by Norwichdelta06
great DYI retrofit. But my question is i'm using my OEM headlamps bad idea???
well the reason i dont like using oem head lamps is because if you modifiy your oem head lights and you decide to trade in your car...you will lose value on your trade in.

I prefer to use aftermarket head lights that come with projectors already since there already a bracket with mounting holes. If your lucky, the bolts will just line up.

In my case with the eagle eyes, the bolts didn't line up. On my gf's rsx head lights, they lined up perfected and i finished the retro in 3 days.

Also having a second set of head lights will let you take your time. Number One thing i tell all first time retrofitters...is take your Time. The more time you take the better it will come out. If try to weekend rush it...it'll turn out like crap or not the way you want it and you will have to redo them.

With that said, best place to find a local retrofitter just the hidplanet forum section

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20144

or you can make a post forum for a local retrofitter.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you can try theses guys...going off there area code...it looks like its nyc.

http://hidillusionz.com/html/

i would recommend getting fx-r projectors.. They have good color and output and there bixenon as well and they sell for around $190. Fair superior in color, cut off and output compared to the oem bixenons.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INFIN...=p4506.c0.m245

Last edited by TemjinX2; 10-03-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:01 PM

2007 c230
thx for ur informative response. But I drive my cars into the ground. So I won't be trading it in for anything. I was goin to use a service. (I have a 2nd car that won't break down on me) You really recommened those FX versus the TSX or S2000? And also should i have them black out the inside or just leave it chrome? And do shrouds make a diference on the light output?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:59 PM

05 c230k 6spd
^^ id say to leave it chrome so it could look more oem.. get the depo bi-xenon look alikes and retro some nice hid projectors in there and youll be set.. it will look like oem and function even better (as far as visibility) .. thats what i plan on doing when i find some cheap hid projectors
Old 10-04-2009, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thx for ur informative response. But I drive my cars into the ground. So I won't be trading it in for anything. I was goin to use a service. (I have a 2nd car that won't break down on me) You really recommened those FX versus the TSX or S2000? And also should i have them black out the inside or just leave it chrome? And do shrouds make a diference on the light output?
Honestly, its a hard question to answer. It really just depends on what you want because all three are good projectors. I recommended the FX-R because it has a bixenon option since a lot people on this forum prefer even though more then likely you'll never use them.

THe Fx-r has a pretty good cut off and gives off a little more color then the tsx when modded. The tsx has the widest beam out of the three, has a sharp cut off but doesn't give off as much color as the fx-r and has less intensity then the s2k and fx-r.

The s2k is considered the best overall projector with the sharpest cutoff..most color and best intensity.

But you pay a premium for them. Tsx clear lens projectors run around $160-180 shipped, fx-r are $180 and s2k run around $300-350.

If your interested in the s2k's then i would wait until they release the s2k-R projectors.

But its up to you in how much you will to pay. All three are superior then the oem's.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

shrouds have no effect on output. Its purely for cosmetics. If the lights are properly aimed, then the chrome won't effect oncoming drivers. I would say its your personal choice whether to black it out or not.

Here's some comparison pics on the different projectors.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46508
Old 10-04-2009, 02:48 PM

2007 c230
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Honestly, its a hard question to answer. It really just depends on what you want because all three are good projectors. I recommended the FX-R because it has a bixenon option since a lot people on this forum prefer even though more then likely you'll never use them.

THe Fx-r has a pretty good cut off and gives off a little more color then the tsx when modded. The tsx has the widest beam out of the three, has a sharp cut off but doesn't give off as much color as the fx-r and has less intensity then the s2k and fx-r.

The s2k is considered the best overall projector with the sharpest cutoff..most color and best intensity.

But you pay a premium for them. Tsx clear lens projectors run around $160-180 shipped, fx-r are $180 and s2k run around $300-350.

If your interested in the s2k's then i would wait until they release the s2k-R projectors.

But its up to you in how much you will to pay. All three are superior then the oem's.
what do u mean having a bi xenon option? I thought i'm just using projectors for my low beam because that's how my car is program. And the normal bulb for the highbeam? I can have a real bixenon aftermatket setup?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what do u mean having a bi xenon option? I thought i'm just using projectors for my low beam because that's how my car is program. And the normal bulb for the highbeam? I can have a real bixenon aftermatket setup?
basically projectors have light shields to cover the top half of the cut off. Bixenon projectors have retractable shields, where the light shield drops and reveals the top half of the cut off.

So a bixenon will act as a low beam and a high beam when needed.

You just can't retract and detract the shield quickly like you can with halogens. The oem bixenons work the same way.

And yes, you can have a aftermarket bixenon setup if you buy bixenon projectors.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
LOL, I'm waiting for Mike, lol. When are the supposed S2K-R's coming out?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 PM

2007 c230
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
basically projectors have light shields to cover the top half of the cut off. Bixenon projectors have retractable shields, where the light shield drops and reveals the top half of the cut off.

So a bixenon will act as a low beam and a high beam when needed.

You just can't retract and detract the shield quickly like you can with halogens. The oem bixenons work the same way.

And yes, you can have a aftermarket bixenon setup if you buy bixenon projectors.

sorry if i seem kinda stupid here but how would you go about this setup? I was just going to have bixenon projectors installed as an aftermarket retrofit setup. Whats going to activate the "hibeams on the BiXenons" when the car is program to put the normal highbeams on when activated?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 PM

05 c230k 6spd
^^ im not sure either but the way i think it works is that when you turn on your highbeams.. instead of it powering on your high beams like in a stock headlight car, it powers the shield and retracts it which allows more of the light to shine thru and bam you have high beams ..

the way you would do this when retrofitting some bio-exonon projectors is wire the high beam wires into the shield..

someone correct me if im wrong?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sorry if i seem kinda stupid here but how would you go about this setup? I was just going to have bixenon projectors installed as an aftermarket retrofit setup. Whats going to activate the "hibeams on the BiXenons" when the car is program to put the normal highbeams on when activated?
the projector comes with a postive and ground wires to activate the projector shield. It retracts when theres power and goes back when there's not. You can just tap the wire into your stock high beam harness.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 PM

2005 C230 Sport
i'd love to see some stock, non-xeon 2005+ headlamps with projectors in both the main housing as well as the high beam...even if the high beam was just a projector over a regular halogen bulb, and the shroud for each being slightly different from each other (chrome housing with painted gunmetal shroud is what i'd go for). Oh, and WHITE angel eyes on either the inside or outside projector...just my wishlist for something i'd never spend the money on lol.

Although, would $500 to a refitter's website buy you projectors? Or does that price really only include the labor?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mu9enx
LOL, I'm waiting for Mike, lol. When are the supposed S2K-R's coming out?
lol didnt say a exact date. there pics of the prototype on hidplanet. I was able to get real s2k's for really cheap so i'm waiting on my tsx replica lens to install it.