C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Finding best local deal.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Cool Finding best local deal.

I'm in the process of ordering my new C230 Sports Coupe and thought you might find it interesting how it is going.

I originally saw the vehicle locally at Mercedes-Benz of Orlando. They were very nice and seemed friendly enough in person, even if their dealership is almost impossible to get to.

I emailed all MB dealers within 2 hours asking for their "best offer/incentive" on a C230 Sports Coupe with the C5 and C7 packages.

The results so far are very interesting.

MB of Tampa wrote back first with a very "mighty than thou" email stating that the car only sold or "MSRP+++" but that they would let me order it at MSRP.

MB of Clearwater wrote back a really nice friendly, to the point email, that said the price was MSRP plus an automatic "Internet" discount of $800.

MB of Daytona wrote back a really insulting email, saying that I was completely unrealistic to expect any discount on a car with such demand. They then offered me $200 off if I ordered the CD Changer for $1,400.

MB of Lakeland, Melbourne, and St. Petersburg never wrote back.

My local dealer, MB of Orlando (owned by AutoNation), refused to email me back, calling me instead. The "Internet" salesman told me outright "no one is going to give you a price without you coming in" then informed me this car is MSRP only and I'm lucky enough they can get me one. He really was annoying me, so I politely mentioned that Clearwater already offerred me $800 off. He insistend "I doubt they would honor that" and added "If we start getting into price discounts, we are no better than Toyota!". I told him it was ok if they wanted to sell at MSRP and was about to hang up (my phone style is very polite) when he added "let me see if we can get you $400-500 off" and told me my salesman would call me. My salesman called me and got the details on what I wanted (It was in the email that they have chosen to ignore) and is going to see what he can do.

I want to point out, this dealer's behavior is EXACTLY what I hate about car dealers. He ignored where I indicated in the form that I prefered contact via email. He ignored where I indicated WHAT and WHEN I wanted it. Then they make me feel like I am pulling teeth for some lowly discount.

All I want the 'best' offer a dealer is willing to make me with a smile and comfort. I do not want the 'best' offer they make me annoyed and frustrated.

So at this point I'm waiting to hear that MB of Orlando calls me back with. I will probably explain my concern about not wanting a discount that is given reluctantly. I'd prefer to buy local, but if I'm not satisfied, I think a drive to Clearwater will be a pleasant experience. My wife things too it might be nice to validate to MB of Clearwater that offering such an Internet discount *is* an effective means to get an out-of-market sale.

Someone mentioned to me that the local MB dealer offers free car washes and loaners when you buy from them. But on neither of my visits there was this offered (even when I asked what services they offer). So I'm guessing those services are not being offered to C230 buyers. So there really is not big advantage to buying local.

Rick
Old 11-16-2001, 02:25 PM

'01 E55 AMG - Brilliant Silver (very rare)/ Charcoal, K2a
Rick,

I live in S. Florida, and have purchased my MB's from a dealer in NJ ... because the salesman's a friend ... has never screwed me ... and has earned my business.

My latest MB, '01 E55 AMG, I bought last December when $5K over MSRP was the norm. I received my signed deal via fax, and went to my two local MB dealers. Both refused to match the offer (one even had the exact same E55 on his showroom floor ... which remaind there for 9-months ... at which time they probably sold it for MSRP!).

I have a service coming up and called both the above local dealers to schedule an appointment. One said if I didn't buy my car from them, it would be 1-2 months. The other (the one who had the E55 on the floor) fit me in for next week.

I've never heard of any new-car dealer that doesn't give free car washes (Lexus lets you bring your Lexus into the dealership ANYTIME for a free exterior wash!) and loaners for cars in for service. Also, every MB dealer I've ever brought one of my 'Benz's to for service also changed out my wiper blade for free as well.

I can hook you up with my guy in NJ if you want.

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2001, 02:32 PM

Flashman:
Up here in CT also had quite the range of responses-from indignation at being asked for a discount to ultimately a number of dealers being willing to sell for 3% over invoice.

One suggestion: rather than asking dealers what they are willing to sell the car for (giving power to them), tell them what you are willing to buy the car for, giving them the option of saying only yes or no.

Good luck shopping!
Old 11-27-2001, 12:22 PM

And update on ordering my C Coupe.

Drew's great buddy in Morristown, NJ made me a fantastic offer of $1,295 off MSRP, but I would have to drive back from NJ.

Mercedes-Benz of Orlando, owned by AutoNation, matched the offer that Clearwater had offered me of $800 off MSRP. After some throught, I decided, what the heck, that's good enough and I get the car locally.

So, I went in on Saturday to sign a buy order and put a deposit. This is when they decide to try to swing me with $420 in "dealer prep" and "dealer processing" fees. I told them there was no way I would pay this, and they came back still asking $199 extra. I refused, they stood firm, so I walked out.

$199 is not a lot of money, but it is a matter of principle with me. You make me an offer and then try to nickle-n-dime the discount back, that just drives me nuts.

So I emailed my friend at MB of Clearwater, and he emailed me right back... no problem, they would increase the discount to match any dealer processing fees. I had a deal.

So in the end I got $800 off MSRP and an additional $399 discount to offset their $399 dealer prep fees. I guess that way they can continue to claim that that everyone pays those fees. ;-)

My C-Coupe arrives in February.

Rick
Old 11-27-2001, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
MAGMA -- meaning, hot lava (you know, red hot!)

(nt)
Old 11-27-2001, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the color spelling clarification... Of course, the color is really "Magmarot"... (what they call it in Germany). Maybe that's what I should tell my friends... I've got a "rotting red" color.

The silly dealer prep fees have always annoyed me. Makes me negotiate a car twice. Once to get to the car price, two to get them to actually sell it to me at that price. However, with only one exception (when I bought a car at CarMax, which I like a lot), I've never paid it.

My frustration, MORE THAN THE MONEY, is the level of aggravation they make you go through. You have to waste hours of negotiation over a couple hundred dollars.

Orlando dealer just called me back, looks like they would be willing to talk about that $199... LOL.. I told them it was "too late", as I've happily placed my order with the Clearwater dealer (Lokey Motor Company) who never gave me ANY stress, argument, or discussion about any fees or anything. They just gave me a deal and stood behind it. That's worth a 2 hour drive in my book.

Rick

P.S. I should point out that my salesman at MB of Orlando, Vodek, was a really NICE and easy to deal with guy. He was ready to give me the deal I wanted, but the "sales manager" was the guy who had no interest in making a deal and wanted to nickel-n-dime me to death. Vodek was incredibly ashamed. I felt Vodek was a MB class salesman stuck in a dealership with used car management. Maybe Clearwater will hire him away. :p
Old 11-27-2001, 06:43 PM

congrats on good deal

Flashman-
Glad to see you successfully concluded negotiating, and got a good deal locally. In CT, the dealers typically add on a "conveyance fee" of 200-300. I allowed for that when establishing the price I wanted to pay. Like your deal, they then get to charge the fee, but I am still paying only what I wanted to pay.

FWIW, I spent 10 years working as a shrink in Federal prisons, dealing with some of the most skilled "con men" in the country. When I go car shopping, I feel like I am back working with that group. Not to malign all salemen, but there is an overrepresentation in that group of individuals who manipulate, distort, and deceive. They can look you straight in the eye, tell a bald faced lie, and insist it is the truth. Even though I consider myself a "pro" at dealing with that type of population, it takes uncomfortable effort to avoid getting taken. That is why I like to shop by phone or email--it limits their opportunity to play games.

Trending Topics

Old 11-27-2001, 10:56 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 BMW 323i
I hope...

I hope that some dealerships will read these posts. I always get sick when dealing with dealers because of their slimy tactics and wheelin' and dealin' they do...
I am also surprised with a lack of e-mail traders - I started my e-mail process, but they still insist of calling and trying to get me into the dealership. I really do not have time for all that crap, and I really do not have any problems in buying the car for MSRP and paying whatever is the fair price, but please do not nickel and dime me in the process, just give me an offer, and then I will select the one that I see as the best one, for whatever reasons I may have! Thank you.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:30 AM

Yeah, but they don't.

I CAN tell you that Ron Sexton of MB of Clearwater has no problem wiht email, writing back almost instantly, and never once trying to move to phone or nickle-n-dime me in any way. It was a fastastic series of email exchanges. You can reach him at sexton_clearwater@mbretailer.com.

On an amazing and annoying side note... the "email" rep from MB of Orlando, some guy named Benji won't stop calling me. Leaving me two messages in the last two days. He's totally oblivious to my originaly request that insisted they contact me via email and even to what car I wanted. He's also oblivious that I was already dealing with another salesman there (the very nice Vodek). The voicemail this morning said "Hi Rick, I know it's amazing, but we have a couple C240s in stock! Give me a call!" I guess he can't read the email in front of him that said I was shopping for a C230 Coupe. Why the heck would I want a C240? I really hate that. Reminds me of years ago when I went into a Subaru dealership looking at that funky sports car they made years ago (the one with the funny side windows, two door, turbo). A month later the salesman calls me to see if I would be interested in a Subaru wagon. Beyond me why he thinks someone looking at a sports car would want a wagon.

If they wanted the sale so bad, they should have just taken off the $199 dealer prep fee I walked out on.

Rick

P.S. I should add that there is one place that I think runs it right, that's CarMax. I really enjoyed buying my wife's Taurus there. I looked up the values on Edmunds and choose one that they were selling below book value (by over $1,500). The salesman was totally cool and never tried upselling me or anything. I was actually totally comfortable paying the $350 processing fee, which they clearly post in big signs as you walk in. Zero surprises. Pity CarMax doesn't sell new Mercedes...
Old 11-29-2001, 12:22 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 Volvo S80 V8 AWD Sport
That Subaru was called SVX...

... and it was a great car. Shame they discontinued it for the 1998 model year.

Yes, CarMax is a good company.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:19 PM

Talked with Ron Sexton from MB of Clearwater today (my email-savvy salesperson). He informs me that my Magma Red C230 arrived on Saturday at Jacksonville, and barring any unexpected 'problems' it should arrive at their dealership by wednesday!

My original requested delivery date (back in November when I ordered it) was March 1st. So it looks like they hit a bulls-eye.

I'm planning to head down Friday morning to pick it up. Don't want to make anyone (family or friend) drive two hours to drop me off and then have to drive back, so I'm going to head down myself. Looked into renting a car one-way, but that seemed too much hastle (wasn't that much, though, just $45). I think I might take a Greyhound instead ($10) and get there faster (no car pickup or drop-off). Seems the Greyhound station is next door to the Clearwater Mall (the MB dealer is on the other side of the Clearwater Mall). Plus there's a certain rags-to-riches experience if I take a Greyhound to Clearwater and driving back in a C230.

I gave them a set of "delivery requests" which included:

1. No dealer insignia.
2. No front plate.
3. Set computer to performance (93 octane) mode, I included renntech's instructions for them.

I was going to have them install the mud flaps, but Ron talked to the service manager and he said that the C230 mud flaps don't seem to fit very well. He's not too impressed with them and advised to hold off on getting them until I see an installed set in person. I'm taking their advise. Anyone here have a GOOD picture of how the mud flaps fit?

I also mentioned to Ron how it seems some charcoal interior cars come with grey and others with charcoal floor mats. He's assured me he will insure that my car has 'charcoal' floor mats.

Anything else I'm forgetting?

P.S. Oh yeah, I've also taken mon-wed off next week to enjoy my new baby. There's no way I would be able to sit at work with this thing sitting outside calling for my attention.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250 Coupe 2012
Make sure they give you a full tank of gas. When you get it, you will not want to stop for gas, tell your wife you will be home late.
You will enjoy!!!
Tom
Old 02-25-2002, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by young
ps don't forget the yellow stripes... :p
I don't think so... it worked for the Miata... not for the Benz...
Old 02-25-2002, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rick, it seems like you've been waiting forever. I know my 75 day wait was way too long, and I was driving the first C-coupe during that wait.

I agree with you about the yellow stripes, but how about yellow kanji graphics and a fart can?:p
Old 02-26-2002, 08:08 AM

My wait was self-induced. When I ordered the car in Thanksgiving, I specifically requested a March 1st delivery. They told me they could probably get it sooner. The reason was that I get my annual bonus check (around 15% of my base pay) at the end of February.

You might have missed it from before, but the joke on the yellow stripes is from my previous car, a 1993 Mazda Miata. A little historical background. In 1993 Mazda offered a factory "stripe" package. They were white and did not cover the optional roof. I thought they would look better in yellow, so I had my own yellow stripes added to match the factory look, except mine went over the roof. It was a big hit with fellow Miata folk, who kept thinking it was some secret factory option. Though I did get occassional "is that car sponsored by McDonalds?" jokes. :p
Old 02-26-2002, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Flashman
I don't think so... it worked for the Miata... not for the Benz...
actually, i kinda like your merc w/ the stripes. did you put a silver border on the stripes? maybe not yellow... offset (not down the center like you have it)
Old 02-26-2002, 10:53 AM

2002 C230 coupe
I got my C230 for 800 under msrp. Only got the sunroof option, but they had it to me in under a week. You should have dealt with my maryland dealer, he was pleasure to deal with.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:26 PM

My deal is pretty close to yours, and it arrives exactly when I asked for it... so I'm not complaining. ;-)
Old 02-28-2002, 11:07 PM

My salesman emailed me today, letting me my car was in. Three months ago I ordered the car for delivery at the "end of February". The car arrived today. Pretty good timing.

I'm going down tomorrow to pick it up. He told me they already programmed the computer to Performance (93 Octane) mode as I requested.

I get my email forwarded to my Ericsson AT&T web phone... so I got the email telling me it was in while in the middle of a big strategic planning meeting. I typed a quick reply (T9 keypad) and then used all my influence to end the meeting as quickly as possible ("Guys, I think we should put off all these decisions until next week..."). I was out of there...
Old 03-01-2002, 10:31 PM

Well, I got my car!! Picked it up today without incident. It arrived exactly as requested, exactly when requested. Enclosed is the first pic...