C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Do you think the paint warranty applies to the brake calipers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saab 900 SE
Do you think the paint warranty applies to the brake calipers?

Did a search and nothing came up. I was wondering if the paint on the brake calipers would be covered under the rust and perforation or paint warranty. The calipers are rusting particularly on the bolts. I know they are painted and im assuming they did that intending on them not to rust.

Also am I being to picky calling the chrome chipping off my cup holder or the paint on one of the rims, flaking? Its going in for the fuel cap filler door lock to be fixed since it was stuck locked, and I figure while its in and I have a loaner maybe they should attend to that.

Also is it crazy to ask about just getting a straight up oil change at a dealer and how much do you think it should cost? I know people at the dealer and they are all nice (i did work on most of thier computers) so I am wondering if they can cut me a deal with the oil change. Not and A or B service, I think it was done, but I dont totally trust the dealer I bought it from honesty and the oil looks very dark.

To what extent do you think MBNA takes silly complaints like brake paint and rim paint damage? Technically its all paint and under normal condition I wouldnt think it should ever discolor (mine are) or paint chip or flake and hence rust right?

Last edited by AdidasC230; 11-08-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Car
Take it in bro,
Read it before on here with people having the same problems as mentioned, they should and will fix it; its all under waurantee.

No part of the vehicle should be rusting, nor should the paint on the rims be flaking. As for the cupholder, its not uncommon.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 AM

07 C230 sport
I dont think you are being too picky. I have taken my car in for simple things, I usually let a few pile up first though. I have taken it in for the chrome on the cupholder twice already and they replaced the entire cupholder no questions asked. I also have taken it in for sunroof one touch issues, trunk not opening up all the way, interior door trim peeling. They always tend to my needs and even look for other stickler things that they could replace while they have me there. I am satisfied so far, too bad I am moving to tennessee and will have to leave MB San Diego behind. Hopefully MB of Memphis can compare, I already know they dont have loaner cars :-( but does offer discounted rentals via budget. Will see how it works out.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 200 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
I had my cupholder replaced TWICE under warranty for the cracked chrome button. Strangely enough, the 3rd one hasn't cracked at all in 3 years.

My beater 16" rims have started bubbling from salt on the roads, but I never bothered mentioning it to the SA. But yes, if you are still under warranty, I'd imagine you're entitled to a repair (maybe not a replace) if the dealer sees fit. I hope you're talking about actual peeling though, and not nicks or scratches from rocks on the road or washing your car.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 AM

Saab 900 SE
They are fixing the cup holder, the spot that wont go away on the windshield and the fuel door lock, they said however that due to our salty environment (sarasota,fl I live on the island of Siesta Key) that the rust was normal on the calipers and that they wouldn't be fixing them, they did offer to have the "rim doctor" who does wheel repair spray them back to color but I said no because I dont want to have to clay bar my car again.

Also said they would charge 70 bucs for an oil change which isnt bad to me, thoughts?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
What does the service indicator say? If it says an appropriate amount of miles until your next Service A or B, then you're just being paranoid - you can't really judge much by what color the oil is.

As far as the paint chipping or calipers rusting is normal for your area, that should be taken into account, looking at it from their perspective. However, if you're aggressive enough, you could probably get them replaced if you pushed.

Me, I'd take it as a reason to get lighter rims and G2 paint the calipers - that's a much more durable finish for the calipers.

Last edited by tommy; 11-09-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
Originally Posted by tommy
What does the service indicator say? If it says an appropriate amount of miles until your next Service A or B, then you're just being paranoid - you can't really judge much by what color the oil is.

As far as the paint chipping or calipers rusting is normal for your area, that should be taken into account, looking at it from their perspective. However, if you're aggressive enough, you could probably get them replaced if you pushed.

Me, I'd take it as a reason to get lighter rims and G2 paint the calipers - that's a much more durable finish for the calipers.
+1 on the G2 caliper paint. That thing hardens like cement, literally. I had to get my calipers redone, and the G2 wouldn't come off with paint/chemical strippers. They had to mediablast it off, lol.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:46 PM

Saab 900 SE
Originally Posted by tommy

Its not that, I was the one that reset the service indicator light, but they told me they did do an oil change on it, which being a nissan dealer ship has me worried, since if it was done correctly THEY would have reset the light.

As for the calipers, they are no big deal, I just didnt know if they would do it or not, I dont want to push on something as stupid and cosmetic like that.

I would like to paint the calipers red, I guess Ill look into the G2 stuff, but I would like to retain the MB logo on the brake calipers, can you order high heat decals?

Also they replaced the rim that was chipping, they said that was odd. I do however LOVE LOVE LOVE the C230/350 Sport rims. I pretty much love the whole car as it sits, I just want to re-tint the windows (it has bad scratching on it) and get the AMG lip spoiler, and quad exaust, projector fogs and Projector lens for headlights. Thats about it for exterior mods.

Id really like to look into a flash, I saw one on here but it requires your cpu to be sent away, does any one make a flasher through the ODB2 port?

Last edited by AdidasC230; 11-09-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
You can get any decals you need from ebay, so that shouldn't hold you back.

As far as the oil, you could look at it several ways. Being a Nissan dealership, they may have done everything except the service light, as it can be a bit tricky. Or they may have done nothing. At this point, to be honest, I'd side on the side of caution, and do the next service that it's showing will be required (myself - it's very easy to do with a topsider, and will save you over 200 large per change), reset the interval light, and sleep a bit better at night.

I got my car chipped by Upsolute by sending them the ecu; I do not think that anyone does it directly through the OBDII port on Benzes - welcome to the inflexible world of modding an MB.