C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

MCS II Comand worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C280 4Matic
MCS II Comand worth it?

I hate my audio20 unit. it just looks so plain.

I currently have a 07 C280 so the correct Nav I believe is the MCS II.
Is it worth getting it for $1000? 1150 installed?

Do any of you guys have it installed? Do you like it?
How is the actual navigation?
Can it display the time constantly? (I hate that the time is only in the instrument cluster)
How does it work with the bluetooth module and ipod kit?

What other features does it come with? Kinda hard to drop 1000 for just navigation.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by purplecones
I hate my audio20 unit. it just looks so plain.

I currently have a 07 C280 so the correct Nav I believe is the MCS II.
Is it worth getting it for $1000? 1150 installed?

Do any of you guys have it installed? Do you like it?
How is the actual navigation?
Can it display the time constantly? (I hate that the time is only in the instrument cluster)
How does it work with the bluetooth module and ipod kit?

What other features does it come with? Kinda hard to drop 1000 for just navigation.
Yes MCS-II is the right one for your car.
I paid $500 for a brand new one with reverse camera input. $1000 is the 'normal' price but you can find one cheaper on ebay if you wait it out.
The actual navigation works fine, but takes a lot of getting used to as it is not intuitive when inputting a destination. I have used it for very long road trips without any issues at all. The newer units display the time in the corner when you are on the navi screen, otherwise no. It works great with the bluetooth module, but you have a 2007 so installing bluetooth (or aux in, or satellite radio) in your car isn't exactly cost effective since you do not have any of the wiring, the upper console, the cellular antenna, etc like the other years do. Many other small things were stripped from the 07s - electronic dipstick, chrome door handle and window trim accents?, come to mind... but I think there are a bunch of other things too, we made a list in another thread if you search. The good news is that you have the newer power-train.

Other features: adds compass to instrument cluster. MP3 CD playback with album and song titles on the 06 and newer comand units. You can do a few diagnostics like looking at your battery voltage and status of CANBUS with it. That's about it. It won't play DVD movies.

Last edited by acr2001; 01-28-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 AM

2007 C280 4Matic
I think I might have the wiring set up. How would I know for sure? I can get to the TEL option in the instrument cluster. Also, in the armrest, when I open it and look in the back of it, there is some sort of cable going to the top section of the armrest. As if it was going to the part where the bluetooth module is suppose to be, although there is no piece there at all. I used archive.org to see the 2007 version of mbusa.com and I think that the first owner bought the premium I package which included the pre-wiring. So again, is there anyway I can know for sure?

How is the reverse camera set up? Did you install it for your car?

What do you mean when you said upper console?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
I think I might have the wiring set up. How would I know for sure? I can get to the TEL option in the instrument cluster. Also, in the armrest, when I open it and look in the back of it, there is some sort of cable going to the top section of the armrest. As if it was going to the part where the bluetooth module is suppose to be, although there is no piece there at all. I used archive.org to see the 2007 version of mbusa.com and I think that the first owner bought the premium I package which included the pre-wiring. So again, is there anyway I can know for sure?

How is the reverse camera set up? Did you install it for your car?

What do you mean when you said upper console?
You may be one of the lucky ones who has the wiring! By upper console I mean the upper compartment in the center console (opens to the side). That is where the bluetooth puck goes. If your car has all the proper wiring you should also have the stubby antenna on your rear window.

There is no provision for a reverse camera in the design of the W203, so it has to be custom installed. I had to cut into (and then reseal) the body of the trunk lid in order to get it to sit flush so it looks stock. The MCS-II for the W203 does not have a reverse camera input. I used the unit from a G class. It's a fully identical MCS-II except that it has (slightly) updated software and the reverse cam input.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:57 PM

2007 C280 4Matic
Oh right! I thought you were talking about the upper part of the head unit. Yes, I do have the center console but I think that for the 07's they only open upwards. And yes, the upper compartment has the outline for the bluetooth module but there is nothing there except the wire that I see behind the upper compartment. As for the antenna, there is an antenna on the top of the car, right before the rear window. Could this just be for the regular radio or is my car really wired? ;-)

I would love to see some pics of the camera you installed. How does it look on the MCS-II when the cam is active? Activates when you go in R mode?

So the MCS-II from the G-Class fits exactly into the w203 head-unit? Which year G-Class year?

Ah! sorry too many questions in one post! :-(
Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Oh right! I thought you were talking about the upper part of the head unit. Yes, I do have the center console but I think that for the 07's they only open upwards. And yes, the upper compartment has the outline for the bluetooth module but there is nothing there except the wire that I see behind the upper compartment. As for the antenna, there is an antenna on the top of the car, right before the rear window. Could this just be for the regular radio or is my car really wired? ;-)

I would love to see some pics of the camera you installed. How does it look on the MCS-II when the cam is active? Activates when you go in R mode?

So the MCS-II from the G-Class fits exactly into the w203 head-unit? Which year G-Class year?

Ah! sorry too many questions in one post! :-(
That's interesting. Sounds like *IF* you have a wired 2007 you get a slightly different console? Please post a pic.

Yes, that antenna is only there if you are wired. It is used only for the phone system or tele-aid. The radio antenna is built into the rear windshield.

Here is a photo of the camera installed on my car: https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...s-pict2784.jpg
Sorry I don't have more. I wish i had taken pics during the installation. Everything does look nearly stock though. I installed it without cutting or splicing a single factory wire. I left all of the camera wiring in the back next to the rear SAM. It is powered from an add-a-fuse. I shorted the reverse light wire from the camera so that it is always on when the car is on (I didn't see the point of splicing into the reverse light).

The camera is a Kenwood CCD-2000. Picture is excellent - even at night, you can see what's behind you better through the camera than you can with your eyes.

More info and pics: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ii-issues.html
Old 01-29-2010, 12:04 AM

2007 C280 4Matic
Dude! what part of NYC do you live in? I'm in Astoria, Queens. I wish I had gotten the car back in 09, when you had the NAV for sale. Do you happen to have another or know someone who does?

As for the pics, I will post them up as soon as I get the chance.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:32 AM

2007 C280 4Matic
I have attached several pictures.

1 - The instrument cluster shows No Phone
2 - In the center console you can see a cable going to the top compartment
3 - Then in the top compartment you can see an outline for the module.
5 - Also could that be a mic in the mirror?
6 - There seems to be two antennas on top of the car. One on the rear windshield and the other on the roof. One for radio and the other for?
Attached Thumbnails MCS II Comand worth it?-1.jpg   MCS II Comand worth it?-2.jpg   MCS II Comand worth it?-3.jpg   MCS II Comand worth it?-4.jpg   MCS II Comand worth it?-5.jpg  

MCS II Comand worth it?-6.jpg  

Last edited by purplecones; 01-29-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
Do this...

I have posted in other Threads too...
Attached Thumbnails MCS II Comand worth it?-install_comand.jpg  
Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 PM

2007 C280 4Matic
Originally Posted by BF_JC230
Do this...

I have posted in other Threads too...
Sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
You're all pre-wired and good to go. Looks like you also have Sirius (the antenna up on the roof).

The mic(s) should be under the mirror. That dot in the center is a light sensor for the monochromatic feature.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
What I am saying is DO IT...it is worth it!

That is a picture of my install.