C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Audio 20/ Car programming ??? I did a few inconclusive searches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saab 900 SE
Audio 20/ Car programming ??? I did a few inconclusive searches

Alright first, I must say as some one who said "do a search" that this web site has about 10% useful info buried in 10 mile long pages of crap, and I can totally understand not wanting to take a half hour or more to find an answer such as "what offset do I need if I want aftermarket rims" or "how big the OEM brakes are on my c230." and so now that that is said (and yes I am volunteering if some one wouldn't mind being a fact checker, making new post to be stickied that answer allot of questions without having 7-15 page long threads to read)

Anyways...

So its bugged me for a while the lack of technical wonderment my c class had vs my S40 and I am wondering if there is a definitive answer, because like I said, searching left me with the same question.

Im going to go in and have my software messed with in star and a few things I want changed but dont know if its possible.

1.RDS (Radio data system) that scrolls info across the screen, after a search I found out the Audio 20 Units can display the info in euro models, and I was thinking if it was netherlands setting it would hence have the euro setting for the audio, but I dont know if this is correct, Is it possible to enable RDS on a US C230?

2. Changing the radio by preset and not frequency via the steering wheel controls. I talked to andrew on here who said he could do it on his 07, however he wasn't sure, and after exploring all the screens, I can find no such setting. I found a thread about the E-class being able to switch back and forth but it required a flash, I dont mind this because my cars going in anyways for a flash but I need to know what to tell them to find it.

3. The alarm chirp, I don't have but I was going to enable it, however I dont like the bip bip bip, it has, I have a fairly sick obsession with the 00 740il chirp (the lock an unlock noise in James Bond and all old 7's), which sounds much like our alarm on the C class, Is it possible to just have the BMW like (god forgive my noise sound alike noises) Reeeerrr, to lock and ruhhh-reeeerrrr, for unlock, or am I stuck with the beep (bip bip bip)

4. Audio 20 unit, Is there any special diagnostic or "programming screen" In my volvo I could control the front and rear equalizer separately from one another (this was just in a normal submenu on it), on top of the bass and treble controls it has normally.

5. If I disable the "telephone not present" screen, It kills putting in BT? I have an 06 and it said right on the sticker "phone pre wiring", and has the cord in the glove box and antenna, I can just flash it back cant I?

6. Is there any way to set the light control module, to have the fogs on when the headlights are on without switching to manual mode with the headlights? Its just annoying to have to flip the switch on and off all the time.

7.What other good setting are there that I should change while its in, what ones do you guys have, I searched but no one really list all the options ect, nor did any thread exist on which ones people liked most.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by AdidasC230
Alright first, I must say as some one who said "do a search" that this web site has about 10% useful info buried in 10 mile long pages of crap, and I can totally understand not wanting to take a half hour or more to find an answer such as "what offset do I need if I want aftermarket rims" or "how big the OEM brakes are on my c230." and so now that that is said (and yes I am volunteering if some one wouldn't mind being a fact checker, making new post to be stickied that answer allot of questions without having 7-15 page long threads to read)

Anyways...

So its bugged me for a while the lack of technical wonderment my c class had vs my S40 and I am wondering if there is a definitive answer, because like I said, searching left me with the same question.

Im going to go in and have my software messed with in star and a few things I want changed but dont know if its possible.

1.RDS (Radio data system) that scrolls info across the screen, after a search I found out the Audio 20 Units can display the info in euro models, and I was thinking if it was netherlands setting it would hence have the euro setting for the audio, but I dont know if this is correct, Is it possible to enable RDS on a US C230?
No - 80% sure

2. Changing the radio by preset and not frequency via the steering wheel controls. I talked to andrew on here who said he could do it on his 07, however he wasn't sure, and after exploring all the screens, I can find no such setting. I found a thread about the E-class being able to switch back and forth but it required a flash, I dont mind this because my cars going in anyways for a flash but I need to know what to tell them to find it.
Definitely not possible in the MOST based C-class cars, pretty sure it dosen't work in any MOST based Mercedes

3. The alarm chirp, I don't have but I was going to enable it, however I dont like the bip bip bip, it has, I have a fairly sick obsession with the 00 740il chirp (the lock an unlock noise in James Bond and all old 7's), which sounds much like our alarm on the C class, Is it possible to just have the BMW like (god forgive my noise sound alike noises) Reeeerrr, to lock and ruhhh-reeeerrrr, for unlock, or am I stuck with the beep (bip bip bip)
No

4. Audio 20 unit, Is there any special diagnostic or "programming screen" In my volvo I could control the front and rear equalizer separately from one another (this was just in a normal submenu on it), on top of the bass and treble controls it has normally.
No

5. If I disable the "telephone not present" screen, It kills putting in BT? I have an 06 and it said right on the sticker "phone pre wiring", and has the cord in the glove box and antenna, I can just flash it back cant I?
Yes you can just change it back with STAR later when you decide on putting in an MHI kit and bluetooth module. FYI, I believe you'll lose your AUX input/iPod input if you disable the pre-wired telephone.

6. Is there any way to set the light control module, to have the fogs on when the headlights are on without switching to manual mode with the headlights? Its just annoying to have to flip the switch on and off all the time.
No

7.What other good setting are there that I should change while its in, what ones do you guys have, I searched but no one really list all the options ect, nor did any thread exist on which ones people liked most.
There are a ton of settings in STAR, especially if you have one with developer mode enabled. Look for postings made by MBenzNL, they sometimes list what programming options are popular.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
you can't do this one? Changing the radio by preset and not frequency via the steering wheel controls.
in the newer cars?
I can in mine that is strange why would have they taken it out?

Last edited by samaritrey; 02-13-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
#2 is certainly possible in MOST based cars. Just don't ask me how. I know it can be done in DAS. May or may not require developer mode.

It is also possible to change the actual alarm chirp in developer mode. The question is - who are you going to find with the knowledge and ability to do that?

There is also a slim chance that you could get the fog lights setup to turn on in auto mode using developer mode in DAS. I really have no evidence to back that statement up though. You would have to find someone who REALLY knows what they're doing in DAS - and I mean much more so than your local MB dealer.

Last edited by acr2001; 02-13-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by acr2001
#2 is certainly possible in MOST based cars. Just don't ask me how. I know it can be done in DAS. May or may not require developer mode.

It is also possible to change the actual alarm chirp in developer mode. The question is - who are you going to find with the knowledge and ability to do that?

There is also a slim chance that you could get the fog lights setup to turn on in auto mode using developer mode in DAS. I really have no evidence to back that statement up though. You would have to find someone who REALLY knows what they're doing in DAS - and I mean much more so than your local MB dealer.
You CAN get an option on the settings menu to appear that will let you choose to scroll through presets using the up/down buttons but the setting dosen't work. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by e1000
You CAN get an option on the settings menu to appear that will let you choose to scroll through presets using the up/down buttons but the setting dosen't work. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

You are right Eric, I played around with this setting long time ago and it doesn't work.

It's under Vehicle > Audio Search then you have Frequency and Memory. But they both do the same thing. So I don't think it has this feature.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT

Time to go plug in the good old DAS. I'll let you guys know if it works out.

Developer mode is good for people who know German. I went in there and ever since I heard you can actuate Air Bags in Developer Mode I said screw this

Axtsuate Arbiag - hmmm I wonder what this does (boom all air bags go off)
Old 02-14-2010, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Karo
You are right Eric, I played around with this setting long time ago and it doesn't work.

It's under Vehicle > Audio Search then you have Frequency and Memory. But they both do the same thing. So I don't think it has this feature.
I'm sure that a setting needs to be changed in the head unit separately to make this work. Have you been able to poke around in there through DAS and take a look? I would be happy to be proven wrong on this just so that we can have more definitive info. Maybe only the 06 and 07 head units support this mode because they are running updated software?

I read about the airbags also (and other items that can be actuated out of sync and damaged) pretty dangerous if you click the wrong button!!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I'm sure that a setting needs to be changed in the head unit separately to make this work. Have you been able to poke around in there through DAS and take a look? I would be happy to be proven wrong on this just so that we can have more definitive info. Maybe only the 06 and 07 head units support this mode because they are running updated software?

I read about the airbags also (and other items that can be actuated out of sync and damaged) pretty dangerous if you click the wrong button!!
I just now took a look in DAS I couldn't find anything (going to keep on looking). You are right i'm sure you can do it through DAS.

This is what I was talking about. I set it to Memory and nothing happened. Maybe you have to enable this feature in DAS? I'm not sure. I'll play around with it.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:19 AM

Saab 900 SE
I dont even have that option in my display....
Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
I'm telling you guys, it dosen't work.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:11 PM

Saab 900 SE
why on earth is it in there if it doesnt work (mine lacks this screen) wouldnt that be a sign of an issue?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by AdidasC230
why on earth is it in there if it doesnt work (mine lacks this screen) wouldnt that be a sign of an issue?
No. Karo is showing that screen because he enabled it using DAS. He is saying that even though he enabled it, the option does not work when changed.

I believe that this is because another change needs to be made to the head unit itself - which may or may not be doable with DAS.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 CLK320 (sold), 2007 C230 SS (gone), 2000 Grand Marquis, 2011 CR-Z, stay tuned...
Mine definitely has that setting and works both ways. I keep it set to change by preset when I'm at home, but change it to frequency whenever I am traveling. I'm glad I have this feature.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by bdgdl08
Mine definitely has that setting and works both ways. I keep it set to change by preset when I'm at home, but change it to frequency whenever I am traveling. I'm glad I have this feature.
Yep, it's the one thing that they actually added rather than subtracted from the 07s (in regard to the electronics and other details). I was surprised when I found out. Hopefully Karo can figure out how to make it work on other model years.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 CLK320 (sold), 2007 C230 SS (gone), 2000 Grand Marquis, 2011 CR-Z, stay tuned...
It doesn't make up for everything else, though.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Yep, it's the one thing that they actually added rather than subtracted from the 07s (in regard to the electronics and other details). I was surprised when I found out. Hopefully Karo can figure out how to make it work on other model years.
lol so 01-04? had it then 05-06 didn't then 07 did

WTF
Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 PM

Saab 900 SE
Originally Posted by samaritrey

WTF
Yeah thats super gay, 06 and 07 are like the same fn cars, how can you not be able to program the 06 to do something "cheapened" 07 can do?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by samaritrey

WTF
Sometimes I wonder how much they actually check before releasing 'facelifted' model years. It almost feels like they just forgot about that option in 05 and then in 07 some dumbass engineer finally said oh hey guys, I finally remembered what we forgot!!