C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Oil Dip Stick Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Mr Carswell - Benz did have some failures with electronic oil level sensors. Newer models have a dipstick & a low oil level sensor - so a bit of a belt & bracers approach
With your belt & braces tight you will never be caught with your pants down & low oil in your $20,000 engine.

In my humble opinion the oil level sensor should be used as an adjunct to a dipstick.

I have operated marine & power station bearing oil systems all my life & would never think of only depending on a sensor when putting equipment into service.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by tommy
If I left my car to the sensors, I'd still be filling up my coolant and windshield reservoirs - and I'm not the first person here to need to have the sensor replaced. Sorry, but reliable electronics and MB are distant cousins at best.

Besides, double-checking the oil level after topping off the car would be a serious PITA if I had to rely on the MFD.

It sounds like the dipstick is sealing ok at the top - I would leave it in, drive around a couple of days, and see if the oil level has dropped. If it hasn't, pat yourself on the back for finding a dipstick that works for your car. I see nothing wrong with having a reliable oil level indicator in our cars, if only as a back up to the electronic nannies.
I get what you're saying.. but those early W203s like you have were much improved upon as the line matured. No more coolant warnings for windshield washers, etc. My cars electronics have been pretty much perfect.

To top up the car, I use dyno mode - pour some in and the display instantly reads the addition. Hit it spot on 5.5L and I'm good to go. This has worked for 75,500 miles so far - to my knowledge my car is an oil dipstick virgin.

I'm not bashing anyone for having the dipstick as a back-up. Actually, I'm not bashing anyone. I just don't subscribe to the extremes some people do about their vehicles. Running a few tenths of a liter short on oil won't hurt the car, there's no need to change the oil more often than the computer says (personally proven this is OK for mine), and I don't have any issue trusting the electronics because they've never given me a reason not to. It's much more convenient, and that was the point.

I can't help but wonder if the same people who refuse to trust the electronic oil monitoring would also refuse to trust TPMS.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I can't help but wonder if the same people who refuse to trust the electronic oil monitoring would also refuse to trust TPMS.
Wonder no more Matt, I would use the TPMS if my car was fitted with it but would make sure I checked my tyres with a hand held guage regularly as well. The point I am making is that I would also check the tyre & wheel for damage at the same time.

I think we are into a generational thing here. You may just have to put up with my Baby Boomer way of thinking. We can learn from each other in the process . John.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Indeed. You and Glyn must get along well!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Carsy
With your belt & braces tight you will never be caught with your pants down & low oil in your $20,000 engine.

In my humble opinion the oil level sensor should be used as an adjunct to a dipstick.

I have operated marine & power station bearing oil systems all my life & would never think of only depending on a sensor when putting equipment into service.
Yes - the number of IPP stationary powergen engines I've seen screwed up by filtration going into bypass & the alarms did not trigger or were inoperative is incredible. Especially in the Philippines with their could not care less attitude.

One large IPP that shall remain nameless screwed up the same Pielstick on 3 occasions. Each time requiring a new or refurbished crank from MHI.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Have to chime in with my .02 about the dipstick vs. sensor monitoring of oil. I think the sensor monitoring is more accurate but who cares if you are down tenths of a quart in oil? You probably won't add any until it's down a quart and the dipstick is accurate enough to give you that reading. My gripe about using the dyno mode is it takes too long. I could pop the hood and check my oil level much quicker with a dip stick. The dyno mode is cleaner though :-)
Old 02-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55, 2002 ML55, 2002 SL500, 2003 CLK55
Checked with my buddy at the Benz dealership and he put me on speakerphone to talk to one of the techs there and proceeded to ask him my question.
He said there's no problem using the dip stick and also was pleasantly surprised that the E55 dipstick works like a "regular" dipstick rather than the one the factory called for that won't go all the way in.

I have to admit that this has indeed been an interesting discussion and hope that in the end it's been a positive one.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by rennwerkes
Checked with my buddy at the Benz dealership and he put me on speakerphone to talk to one of the techs there and proceeded to ask him my question.
He said there's no problem using the dip stick and also was pleasantly surprised that the E55 dipstick works like a "regular" dipstick rather than the one the factory called for that won't go all the way in.

I have to admit that this has indeed been an interesting discussion and hope that in the end it's been a positive one.
If he was surprised that the E55 dipstick works. I would not trust his judgment sorry. Anyone with skills can make it sound like they know what there talking about.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Have to chime in with my .02 about the dipstick vs. sensor monitoring of oil. I think the sensor monitoring is more accurate but who cares if you are down tenths of a quart in oil? You probably won't add any until it's down a quart and the dipstick is accurate enough to give you that reading. My gripe about using the dyno mode is it takes too long. I could pop the hood and check my oil level much quicker with a dip stick. The dyno mode is cleaner though :-)
Is dyno mode more difficult in pre-facelift? For me, it's hit three buttons, press the arrow on the wheel, and turn the ignition to the on position. Takes somewhere around 20 seconds and is way, way quicker than opening the hood. My car can be half a quart low and not prompt me for more oil, but because I use dyno mode to check it, I keep my car at the specified level. Also, I cringe having to open my hood because the hood latch sounds like it might break at any moment.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Is dyno mode more difficult in pre-facelift? For me, it's hit three buttons, press the arrow on the wheel, and turn the ignition to the on position. Takes somewhere around 20 seconds and is way, way quicker than opening the hood. My car can be half a quart low and not prompt me for more oil, but because I use dyno mode to check it, I keep my car at the specified level. Also, I cringe having to open my hood because the hood latch sounds like it might break at any moment.
yeah we have to hold the button for like 30 seconds.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
To the OP, your dip stick came off from your E55 V8 and your CLK320 is V6 ...really can we use that ? I want one too lol.

Andy
Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Who wants to race... You can check your stickk while i push my baby's buttons hahahaha