C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Tail light removal - Sports Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 09:49 PM
taylor192

Tail light removal - Sports Coupe

I want to remove the tail light assembly so that I can smoke the tail light lenses. I have found a few nuts to unscrew inside the hatch, but was wondering if anyone knew of an easier way, like just removing the tail light plastic lense rather than the whole assembly... or could confirm how many nuts/screws must be removed to remove the tail light.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4matic
I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure you have to take out the whole assembly. Or you can usually take out the back panel of the assembly with all the bulbs on it. But then you would have to smoke the lenses while they are still on the car. I don't know if that is an option or not. It would probably be more difficult. So the back panel should come off very easily for when you have to replace bulbs. It's probably in the manual. But then the lense probably has its own bolts.

How are you smoking them? And please post pics when you are done.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:15 PM

Are you buying the tint from the internet or at a shop? Do you know if the translucent paint for models work ? I really want to tint my signals (I'm not a fan of clear, IMO, it looks worst than the amber), but I'm all for smoked lenses. I'm not sure if it'd work just tinting the inside, as that way I don't have to worry about weather resistance.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Has anyone wired the rear fog light across to the other side so they both are lit?
Old 03-22-2003, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by Outland
Has anyone wired the rear fog light across to the other side so they both are lit?
I think the point of the one-sided light is so that it doesn't look like you have your brakes lights on. Although, I guess it will still be effective because people will see you in the fog, but everyone will think you are riding your brakes.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:27 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by vyse
Are you buying the tint from the internet or at a shop? Do you know if the translucent paint for models work ? I really want to tint my signals (I'm not a fan of clear, IMO, it looks worst than the amber), but I'm all for smoked lenses. I'm not sure if it'd work just tinting the inside, as that way I don't have to worry about weather resistance.
OK first, I got the tailight assemblies off, only 4 nuts to remove, very very easy, just open the side compartments and look for 4 posts, on the side with the fuses the 4th is hard to find as it is slightly hidden by the lining of the hatch. Then disconnect the wiring harness and pull the last bulb out (just yank, it will pop out).

I smoked both the side markers and the tail lights. I did the side markers first to try it out and found I went way too dark. Do VERY LIGHT strokes, it may take you 4-5 coats using this method, but you'll appreciate it afterwards.

I didn't smoke the tailights very much, just enough to get a good redish-black rather than the pinkish stock look of the lights.

I'll post pics when I get them back on in a few hours, just applying the clear coat now. I did not buy the peelable smoke, so this is basically permanent, so I have decided to clear coat it to get back some of the shine.

I'm fairly certain you won't get the desired effect tinting the inside, but a good layer of clear coat will protect against the weather.

My car is brilliant siler and I'm not sure if I like the tinted side markers, but I know I like it better than the amber ones, and have never been a fan of the white ones. I tried a hobby shop and couldn't find the paint, cause I was looking for translucent silver for the side markers.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
If you go to the Testors' website, they have tons of paint options; people have been pretty happy with the results.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by Matt230K
I think the point of the one-sided light is so that it doesn't look like you have your brakes lights on. Although, I guess it will still be effective because people will see you in the fog, but everyone will think you are riding your brakes.
No they won't. The center light still works as normal. And doesn't one of the elements still light up in the one side even when the fog light is on?