C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Weird vibrations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C230K
Weird vibrations

I could use some advice on a problem that's been bugging me.

When I first start out on my commute in the morning and evening, the car seems to shudder and vibrate in the front left wheel area as I accelerate and steer slightly right. It's a fairly "violent" vibration, as if the wheel is about to come off. After about a second, everything is well again.

It only happens when I first start out (about 5 mins into my commute). It can happen at different speeds and/or engine RPMs. If I later try to reproduce, I won't be able to.

I'm thinking with these symptoms, the dealer will not have enough info to go on. Is there something else I should do before I make my appointment?

--Steffen
Old 03-28-2003, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK Coupe 200 Komp 53 Plate
Yeah my friend had the same thing have your wheels rebalanced and also get your tranction tested might be out slightly.

It like a speed wobble that pulls car to the direction of where the distribution is out
Old 03-28-2003, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by cliffybabe
Yeah my friend had the same thing have your wheels rebalanced and also get your tranction tested might be out slightly.

It like a speed wobble that pulls car to the direction of where the distribution is out
If it's a wheel/tire balance problem, wouldn't it happen more consistently? I have noticed cases where I have a slight vibration when first starting out around 35-40mph. I believe some people have stated that tires sitting overnight can get temporary flat spots which diminish after driving a while. But, I've never noticed a "violent" vibration.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by MarkL
I believe some people have stated that tires sitting overnight can get temporary flat spots which diminish after driving a while. But, I've never noticed a "violent" vibration.
Any flat-spotting from overnight would be very very minor and would go away very quickly. And I don't think you would feel any vibration at low speeds, much less a "violent" vibration. It's gotta be something else.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Jack up the car, lock the steering to one side and see if you can move the wheel up and down, or side to side. If there's something amiss with the suspension you should feel a quick but short movement. If nothing happens, loosen up the wheel and recenter it, then tighten the lugs again. The wheel may even be loose.

If none of that helps, it sounds like a defective tire. See the dealer. I had one of the front tires on my Honda replaced because of vibration(one of many) that they couldn't eliminate.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:33 PM

MB C230K
Thanks for the help. I jacked up the car this afternoon and all seems ok - no give up down or left right. I did notice that when I spin the wheel, it continues to spin but the calipers are scraping a bit. On the right side the wheel spins without any scraping noise. Could that be it?

I also noticed a stretch of road (near the dealer!) where the problem ALWAYS occurs - I think it might have to do with a slight unevenness on the road and steering slightly right. On this stretch, it occurs around 40 mph. I think it might be some sort of harmonic with the shock absorber interacting with the road. Very strange though.

I guess one of these times, I'll drop it off to get looked at (again). For now, I will enjoy breaking the "sound barrier" now and then!

--Steffen
Old 03-30-2003, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by steffen
Thanks for the help. I jacked up the car this afternoon and all seems ok - no give up down or left right. I did notice that when I spin the wheel, it continues to spin but the calipers are scraping a bit. On the right side the wheel spins without any scraping noise. Could that be it?

I also noticed a stretch of road (near the dealer!) where the problem ALWAYS occurs - I think it might have to do with a slight unevenness on the road and steering slightly right. On this stretch, it occurs around 40 mph. I think it might be some sort of harmonic with the shock absorber interacting with the road. Very strange though.

I guess one of these times, I'll drop it off to get looked at (again). For now, I will enjoy breaking the "sound barrier" now and then!

--Steffen
Is this the ONLY place that you get the sound? If so, then its the road. I have the C7 package on my car, and its very sensitive to the crown of the road. Some people think that this is the car pulling, but having owned cars with wide front tires before, I'm well aware that its the road contour.

I don't know what to tell you...if there's nothing loose, and the tires are good, well, then...ignore it

Let us know if the dealer finds anything
Old 03-30-2003, 11:22 PM

MB C230K
No it happens in a number of places (not just that one stretch of road) and definitely doesn't feel right. I have a feeling the shock needs adjustment or something. Oh well, I'll check in again after I've seen the dealer. No rush.

Should I be worried about the calipers scraping?

--S
Old 04-17-2003, 02:50 AM

MB C230K
Just as an update, I made an appointment at the dealer, but before I could drop it off, something went clunk near the front left, and my alignment was instantly hosed and the wheel started vibrating at all speeds.

I had to have the car TOWED to the dealer. Not a fun experience (car has 3000 miles on it!)

Two days later, the dealer fixed it. Good as new. He reported a "loose camber adjusting bolt" which could not be tightened for some reason so they replaced the whole lower control arm on the suspension. And then they had to align the car again.

Well, while I was at it, I had them remove the No Phone, and enable the pano roof Tunnel Mode (one-touch close). Eager to test this one - but it's been raining out.

--Steffen
Old 04-17-2003, 09:18 AM

Kissing Rotors

Steffen,

Just for future reference, the brake pads should kiss the rotors. Its by design.

Brad