C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Good alignment place in Orange County, CA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K Coupe (05)
Good alignment place in Orange County, CA

Just as the title says guys. Any recommendations for a good alignment shop in OC. Price estimates would be really helpful too. Thanks!

G
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moped
hey man.. we'r in the same boat.. alignments been off eversince ever..

havent seen you here in awhile!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 PM

2005 1.8 B/B
I heard our car's alignment is not adjustable except the toe?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
03 W203, 13 E350, 13 W204, 14 C218
Originally Posted by Mercury
the toe? all i know is the last time i got an Alignment (from the stealer) still didn't seem aligned to me...
Old 05-18-2010, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
Just had a friend who does alignments put mine on a rack (had a slight pull). He said there's nothing to adjust on these cars... We swapped the front wheels from side to side and now the pull is less pronounced and in the other direction (toward passenger side now - better than pulling towards oncoming traffic).
Old 05-19-2010, 01:38 AM

'05 C320
I bought lifetime alignment for $125 at Firestone in Lake Forest (off I-5 El Toro exit). You can go to any Firestone locations later on. In two visits you get your monies worth and start saving from the third service. In terms of level of service? I can't tell whether they are excellent or not. I think it is just so so. I know many German car owners are picky and do not go to these franchise places for alignment. But, the computer system and the alignment rack is what counts. These machines all have necessary data for our models. So, I would say Firestone service does more then its alignment service purpose and definitely worth its money.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:07 AM

2005 C320 Sport, 2010 C300 Sport
Where's Roland at? I'm sure he's got some good OC places.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
All due respect, that’s not necessarily the case. Our W203’s caster and camber is adjustable.
MB’s retrofit adjustment bolts (PN 000 330 00 18 - four required), among other generally accepted methods, help enable one to approach its preferred settings:

hieracity, James Sofronas’ Beissbarth alignment machine - and his competent technicians – are arguably some of the finest available in OC.
South Bay locals tend to prefer (Steve Alarcon’s) Johnson’s Alignment.
If you’re of mind to get after it, both have proven a sound investment.

Far less expensive than prematurely replacing expensive tires.

http://gmgracing.com/tuning.shtml
http://johnsonsalignment.com/
Old 05-19-2010, 02:58 AM

c240
Albert @ TWS in walnut. Excellent job and price
Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by nrg_mike
Where's Roland at? I'm sure he's got some good OC places.
Originally Posted by yeloaw
Albert @ TWS in walnut. Excellent job and price
i dont really know any spots in the OC, i usually go to Albert also...
Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Moped
Originally Posted by DUC916
I bought lifetime alignment for $125 at Firestone in Lake Forest (off I-5 El Toro exit). You can go to any Firestone locations later on. In two visits you get your monies worth and start saving from the third service. In terms of level of service? I can't tell whether they are excellent or not. I think it is just so so. I know many German car owners are picky and do not go to these franchise places for alignment. But, the computer system and the alignment rack is what counts. These machines all have necessary data for our models. So, I would say Firestone service does more then its alignment service purpose and definitely worth its money.
i have to check this out.. dont matter if its far from me. i think its worth it.

but i might have to buy the part Splinter is talking about before i do anything..
Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Thanks guys! I was just getting a feeler for my friend. I always go to Albert (The Wheel Supply) in Walnut too. He's been good to me. I pretty much let him handle my car for everything.

Patrick, go to Albert. good guy and good prices.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Btw Patrick, how are the coilovers? You will for sure have to get a rear camber kit to get a proper alignment done. Otherwise your tires will wear out hella unevenly.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Moped
its all uneven already. loooool. the front are more of my concern.. coz its very very very uneven(positive camber). my tires in front have like 50 to 60% on them but if you look at the outer wall its out already.. like 0& thread. loool.

rear is ok. just a little negative camber. which is not that big of a problem.

btw. c/o are great. love the stiffness.

also ill check out albert! thanks!

edit: you still have the same number? can you send me the address or number of albert. thanks!

Last edited by skittles; 05-19-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:45 PM

E55
I like Shoreline Motors in Huntington Beach. Prices are good.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by splinter
All due respect, that’s not necessarily the case. Our W203’s caster and camber is adjustable.
MB’s retrofit adjustment bolts (PN 000 330 00 18 - four required), among other generally accepted methods, help enable one to approach its preferred settings:

hieracity, James Sofronas’ Beissbarth alignment machine - and his competent technicians – are arguably some of the finest available in OC.

+1 on everything Splinter said.

Another good alignment place is West End Alignment in Gardena:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/west-end-alignment-gardena
Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Forgot about these bolts - thanks for the reminder Splinter. Are four required for the car, or just the front (wondering if there's a way to adjust the rear too)? From the second pic, it looks like things are adjustable (the elongated holes in the arm)? My alignment friend is an old school guy, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a way to adjust he wasn't aware of. One of these days I'll visit a modern/well-informed alignment shop...

Old 05-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mtnman82
..Are four required for the car, or just the front (wondering if there's a way to adjust the rear too)? From the second pic, it looks like things are adjustable (the elongated holes in the arm)? My alignment friend is an old school guy, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a way to adjust he wasn't aware of. One of these days I'll visit a modern/well-informed alignment shop...
Two bolts vary the (iron) thrust arms to adjust camber.
Altering the effective (aluminum) torque arm length, relative to the unibody mounts for caster corrections, necessitates another pair.

Combined, they’re often not enough for some to gain enough negative camber in order to preclude excessive outer tire wear given our relatively antiquated MacPherson suspension geometry. Note the aforementioned “generally accepted methods” actually consist of fitting spacers of varying thickness between the steering knuckle and lower strut attachment junction. MB stocks longer (grade 10.8) self-locking bolts, originally intended for another chassis, that safely accommodate the additional length required.

Adjusted our C’s alignment many times using the DIY shadetree method. Still attempting to close in on an acceptable compromise. Had some eccentric bolts fabricated to facilitate aft camber adjustment. Continue to chase my tail, but I’m almost there. Can’t possibly measure to the degree of a professional alignment technician, but it’s encouraging when he shares “it’s almost spot on” when I take it in for validation.

IIRC you’re a turbocharged Porsche pilot. Taken the liberty of borrowing some of their proven equipment and techniques..

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/p...ngs_manual.pdf
http://www.smartracingproducts.com/p...ber_manual.pdf
Old 05-22-2010, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^ Thanks for the additional info! Clears up matters - I think I see what's going on now. Yep, you remember correctly. Haven't been piloting the p-car much lately as it's due for a smog and I'm in the middle of making is 'stock-ish'... the jooys of living in California.

I remember watching the father of a good friend in high school use strings to do his alignment quite a few times (his dad was the stock class S. California rally champ for quite a few years in a row). I haven't seen those smart racing products setups before - very interesting/tempting. Do you rent or own, or borrow from a friend? You are a wealth of knowledge, splinter, and one of the reasons I like to browse this forum!!! Thanks again for the pics and info!
Old 05-22-2010, 01:08 PM

2007 C350 Iridium Silver
Shoreline Motors in Huntington Beach! They mostly work on upper end Euro cars and have the latest equipment from Italy and Germany. Good prices too!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Moped
i just set an appointment with albert tom at 5:30. i dont have the adjustable camber yet though. am i wasting my time and money? oh and if you guys dont mind what did they quote you for alignment?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mtnman82
^^ Thanks for the additional info! Clears up matters - I think I see what's going on now. Yep, you remember correctly. Haven't been piloting the p-car much lately as it's due for a smog and I'm in the middle of making is 'stock-ish'... the jooys of living in California.

I remember watching the father of a good friend in high school use strings to do his alignment quite a few times (his dad was the stock class S. California rally champ for quite a few years in a row). I haven't seen those smart racing products setups before - very interesting/tempting. Do you rent or own, or borrow from a friend? You are a wealth of knowledge, splinter, and one of the reasons I like to browse this forum!!! Thanks again for the pics and info!
I’ve an earlier version of another vendor's camber gauge. You’re welcome to borrow it.

Used a buddy’s SmartStrings setup on mine after having helped him prepare for track events.
Jerry-rigged a reasonable facsimile with a pair of laser levels and other deductibles from my trade.
It’ll measure to within a repeatable 32nd.

Acceptable tire wear, relatively consistent pyrometer readings, and it goes straight down the highway.
Of course, its specific alignment settings shared upon request.

*off topic*
When my son is off to university -or an enlisted man- two years hence, I’m thinking a Porsche is what ought to be next in the garage.
Trust you’re already aware of the solid intel shared on Wayne Dempsey’s Pelican Parts forum… http://forums.pelicanparts.com/
Best wishes with yours.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
I’ve an earlier version of another vendor's camber gauge. You’re welcome to borrow it.

Used a buddy’s SmartStrings setup on mine after having helped him prepare for track events.
Jerry-rigged a reasonable facsimile with a pair of laser levels and other deductibles from my trade.
It’ll measure to within a repeatable 32nd.

Acceptable tire wear, relatively consistent pyrometer readings, and it goes straight down the highway.
Of course, its specific alignment settings shared upon request.

*off topic*
When my son is off to university -or an enlisted man- two years hence, I’m thinking a Porsche is what ought to be next in the garage.
Trust you’re already aware of the solid intel shared on Wayne Dempsey’s Pelican Parts forum… http://forums.pelicanparts.com/
Best wishes with yours.
John,

I am getting ready to do the alignment on my 203 soon. I think I may have to pick your brain for a bit. I have always like the Smart Strings setup, but have never felt the need to spend that kind of money for them. Instead, I have designed and built my own tools and methods and have successfully aligned MANY vehicles with great success. I have also proven those alignments pretty damn accurate when checked with the appropriate Hunter computerized alignment equipment.

I think I posted some pics of my camber/caster gauge a long time ago. I even have some CAD models of a cheap spreader bar, I am getting ready to make for the 203 to do proper toe measurements.

I do plan on doing a complete writeup/DIY on the alignment when I get it sorted out.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 AM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Originally Posted by Patrick LowKey
i just set an appointment with albert tom at 5:30. i dont have the adjustable camber yet though. am i wasting my time and money? oh and if you guys dont mind what did they quote you for alignment?
I think you should wait for your camber. Call up albert and ask him. He's a pretty honest person. As for the price, I don't think I am allowed to quote for him but I am pretty sure he will be cheaper than most guys out there while providing great service.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Moped
Originally Posted by hieracity
I think you should wait for your camber. Call up albert and ask him. He's a pretty honest person. As for the price, I don't think I am allowed to quote for him but I am pretty sure he will be cheaper than most guys out there while providing great service.
did you get the camber thingies? coz i asked someone and he said if i dont get them i will be a little bit negative camber and thats it. added that its not that needed unless you want to be precise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good alignment place in Orange County, CA