C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Q on possible for true dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C230 Sport
Q on possible for true dual exhaust?

i have an 07 230 but wondering if i can make this into a true dual?
i think there is enough space to run two pipes but the problem would be the 02 sensor and having one cat. iono i just wanted to try something different instead of just putting on magnaflows like most cause the inlet for those exhausts are too small and i rather have it more free flowing =/

Just a question =) if i can do it with having just one 02 sensor on one of the pipes.

if not possible imma just delete the rest and probably just put a test pipe and delete the cat as well =/
Old 06-06-2010, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
if its a V6, u can still run a true dual.

each side of the headers comes down to your primary cats, then comes down to ur secondary cats (which u can cut off) then it joins into a Y section into your resonator, then pipes back to your muffler.

you might need to get a C55 wheel well in order to do a two can exhaust, if you plan to just run straight pipes, then no need.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:16 PM

2007 c230
Originally Posted by aigooalex
i have an 07 230 but wondering if i can make this into a true dual?
i think there is enough space to run two pipes but the problem would be the 02 sensor and having one cat. iono i just wanted to try something different instead of just putting on magnaflows like most cause the inlet for those exhausts are too small and i rather have it more free flowing =/

Just a question =) if i can do it with having just one 02 sensor on one of the pipes.

if not possible imma just delete the rest and probably just put a test pipe and delete the cat as well =/

whats your goal for doing this? performance or just looks?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 C280 4Matic
Lots of power in a true dual exhaust. Esp if you put an x-pipe before a set of high flow cats.

Just run both pipes on one side, like a gto
Old 06-07-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'02 C320 Wagon, '78 308 GTS, '06 Highlander Hybrid
Originally Posted by zerocover
Lots of power in a true dual exhaust. Esp if you put an x-pipe before a set of high flow cats.

Just run both pipes on one side, like a gto
Are you kidding???
Old 06-07-2010, 02:30 AM

2007 C230 Sport
i'm actually thinking running dual through that one side of the exhaust instead of on both sides cause i'm not planning to get a c55 wheel well. i guess i'm doing this more for performance? not really for looks too much but i just don't like the idea of putting a small inlet muffler onto our big *** pipes but i hate the Y pipe =/
Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 AM

2006 C230 SS, 2006 S500, 2008 CLS550 Lorinser
you can just cut through the current spare tire area, then run a true dual, like gary said it is a dual up until your secondary cats
Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM

2007 C280 4Matic
Originally Posted by hanknum
Are you kidding???
No, I've seem a setup like that gain 14hp on a mustang that had a proper H-pipe before. I'd imagine we will gain less but you will not gain more power out of a legal(ish) exhaust then that.

But you seem to know something I dont, would you care to share.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 AM

2007 c230
well keep in mind all most V6's are true dual exhaust. Thus why most V6's has dual exhaust... One that leads from the front bank and one from the rear...and why not put the exhaust on the side like a gto?? :op I was considering putting them straight up on the side and also a snorgle for the intake.......
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320 coupe
No, I've seem a setup like that gain 14hp on a mustang that had a proper H-pipe before. I'd imagine we will gain less but you will not gain more power out of a legal(ish) exhaust then that.

But you seem to know something I dont, would you care to share.
if you do that it will lose power on the lower end and increase on the higher end... but it wont gain any hp... mine is a true straight dual exhaust...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Buy mine ///AMG tips,

https://mbworld.org/forums/engine-pe...-amg-tips.html

Andy
Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM

2007 C280 4Matic
Originally Posted by XsuperbeeX
if you do that it will lose power on the lower end and increase on the higher end... but it wont gain any hp... mine is a true straight dual exhaust...
What are you talking about, do you have dyno's or articles to back up your claim? I am always willing to keep an open mind, and would love to be proved wrong.

But X-pipes promote scavenging of exhaust gases (scavenging is a good thing) They also allow both sides of the exhaust to be used per pulse of exhaust. Strait pipes mean each pipe needs to carry the whole of the exhaust pressure pulse, so you need larger pipes to begin with. + a bonus is that cars with some form of exhaust cross over are quieter. Now if you want a loud car strait pipes are the exhaust of choice. Besides we have v6's so we need to connect both sides of the exhaust to scavenge properly, with a v8 / inline engine strait pipes would be viable though.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html

PS before anyone brings it up, X-pipes are much better then H-pipes
http://www.pontiacstreetperformance..../exhaust3.html

EDIT: lastly to OP try and not go above a 2.25" exhaust, or you risk loosing low end tq.

Last edited by zerocover; 06-07-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:43 PM

2006 C230 SS, 2006 S500, 2008 CLS550 Lorinser
Originally Posted by XsuperbeeX
What are you talking about, do you have dyno's or articles to back up your claim? I am always willing to keep an open mind, and would love to be proved wrong.

But X-pipes promote scavenging of exhaust gases (scavenging is a good thing) They also allow both sides of the exhaust to be used per pulse of exhaust. Strait pipes mean each pipe needs to carry the whole of the exhaust pressure pulse, so you need larger pipes to begin with. + a bonus is that cars with some form of exhaust cross over are quieter. Now if you want a loud car strait pipes are the exhaust of choice. Besides we have v6's so we need to connect both sides of the exhaust to scavenge properly, with a v8 / inline engine strait pipes would be viable though.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html

PS before anyone brings it up, X-pipes are much better then H-pipes
http://www.pontiacstreetperformance..../exhaust3.html

EDIT: lastly to OP try and not go above a 2.25" exhaust, or you risk loosing low end tq.

Ed is right, even with a X-pipe the gains will be in top end power, but there will be losses in low end power.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
dual exhaust gains on large displacement engine. small engines makes little to no gain when running a dual exhaust instead of a single that creates enough back-pressure.

even if its a v6...on a 2.5L engine the dual exhaust out is not going to do much if any gains. if you just want it to sound different than go for it.

Last edited by FrankW; 06-07-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:42 PM

2007 C280 4Matic
Originally Posted by timmynabenz
Ed is right, even with a X-pipe the gains will be in top end power, but there will be losses in low end power.
Not trying to be a jerk or anything but taking peoples word for something on the internet is not the most scientific way to go about things.

How about a dyno

Like this one, no power loss, anywhere!
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-2010-c63.html

If a modification can add power anywhere it can be tunned to add power somewhere else. More is more! Now I can understand how a poorly made exhaust would loose power in the low end but that applies to everything poorly made and badly researched
Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Well go for it and let us know. When i talked to vadim about doing a true duel exhaust on my c32. He told me he lost a crap low end tq and only gain a little bit of hp in the upper end and it sounded like crap.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but taking peoples word for something on the internet is not the most scientific way to go about things.

How about a dyno

Like this one, no power loss, anywhere!
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-2010-c63.html

If a modification can add power anywhere it can be tunned to add power somewhere else. More is more! Now I can understand how a poorly made exhaust would loose power in the low end but that applies to everything poorly made and badly researched
You can't compare a underrated 6.2L v8 to a low displacement 2.5L v6. Its apples to oranges comparison.

Most of the duel exhaust setups are only been a benefit for the v8 guys. You can see in it the dyno numbers on the c55 and c63 like you pointed out.

The v6's still need a little bit of back pressure to get that low end tq.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:49 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Well go for it and let us know. When i talked to vadim about doing a true duel exhaust on my c32. He told me he lost a crap low end tq and only gain a little bit of hp in the upper end and it sounded like crap.
yup, don't forget reason that mustang sees gain because their stock exhaust system simply sucks.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 PM

2007 C230 Sport
i just wanted a dual setup on one side instead of going quad. i am thinking of doing an x pipe route as well where it connects to resonator that turns into one big pipe to the muffler. i dont' care much about gains (if i get any thats even better) but just don't want to bottle neck it at the muffler cause the magnaflow mufflers have small inlets and i like the dual tip setup =(

can you share how it might sound like crap stated above?
but yeah, if it sounds okay to do i might go ahead and do this later during the summer when i got time.
and i will post pics and vid if i do this!

i had an old 88 5.0 GT and that car sounded nice with an x pipe haha and i got mad gains off of the exhaust set-up =)
Old 06-07-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
the C55 does not have "true dual" exhaust either. It's one pipe down the middle that splits into 2 mufflers out the back.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 CLK320 (sold), 2007 C230 SS (gone), 2000 Grand Marquis, 2011 CR-Z, stay tuned...
I'm confused. If you don't car about gaining power, then why not just get a Magnaflow or similar. You won't lose power (except for the possible loss of back-pressure) from an aftermarket muffler. If all you're going for is a better sound and dual tips, this would be major overkill.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aigooalex
i just wanted a dual setup on one side instead of going quad. i am thinking of doing an x pipe route as well where it connects to resonator that turns into one big pipe to the muffler. i dont' care much about gains (if i get any thats even better) but just don't want to bottle neck it at the muffler cause the magnaflow mufflers have small inlets and i like the dual tip setup =(

can you share how it might sound like crap stated above?
but yeah, if it sounds okay to do i might go ahead and do this later during the summer when i got time.
and i will post pics and vid if i do this!

i had an old 88 5.0 GT and that car sounded nice with an x pipe haha and i got mad gains off of the exhaust set-up =)

He just told me it was the way the v6 fires vs a v8 fires. He told me, the v6 fires in a 1,2-3 pattern vs a 1-2-3-4 pattern in a v8. I dunno if its true or not, about the explanation he gave me and i didn't really feel like spending $2k to find out first hand.

Given he lost out on making a potential $2k off me, i doubt he was lying about the results.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:35 PM

2007 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by bdgdl08
I'm confused. If you don't car about gaining power, then why not just get a Magnaflow or similar. You won't lose power (except for the possible loss of back-pressure) from an aftermarket muffler. If all you're going for is a better sound and dual tips, this would be major overkill.
first i wanted gains when i was thinking about doing this but after reading, it's okay if i don't gain much but would not do this if i lost.
but if you lose a lil tq don't you gain a lil hp then at the end?
for the exhaust setup i don't want to split again from the end of single pipe from the res. just full on two exhaust pipes from header to muffler with an x-pipe or full straight to the muffler.

yeah so i'm just asking for more advice on the forum. and for the sound, yeah i would hate to know if it sounds like **** at the end ='(
Old 06-07-2010, 06:45 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
He just told me it was the way the v6 fires vs a v8 fires. He told me, the v6 fires in a 1,2-3 pattern vs a 1-2-3-4 pattern in a v8. I dunno if its true or not, about the explanation he gave me and i didn't really feel like spending $2k to find out first hand.

Given he lost out on making a potential $2k off me, i doubt he was lying about the results.
the V6 firing pattern is always in order doesn't matter how you place the header pipe into the merge where as the V8 firing order you will need to figure out which cylinder fires first in order to get the best exhaust flow/pulse in sequences.

V8's with big displacement engine pushes a lot more flow which a dual exhaust is beneficial. where as our little 3.2 or less just simply doesn't the gain in top end hp is not worth the loss in low end tq.

Last edited by FrankW; 06-07-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FrankW
the V6 firing pattern is always in order doesn't matter how you place the header pipe into the merge where as the V8 firing order you will need to figure out which cylinder fires first in order to get the best exhaust flow/pulse in sequences.

V8's with big displacement engine pushes a lot more flow which a dual exhaust is beneficial. where as our little 3.2 or less just simply doesn't the gain in top end hp is not worth the loss in low end tq.
he told me it was the firing pattern to explain the crappy sound..not for the lack of performance though..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Q on possible for true dual exhaust?