C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Michelin Primacy Tires 60k Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280 4matic
Michelin Primacy Tires 60k Warranty?

I recently brought my C280 4matic with 38K miles on it and Michelin (but not Primacy) tires on it! They are pretty much completely worn out!

Now searching for tire threads here it seems most people think (even my independent service) it's normal, that most expect about 30K (some even 20-25k) out of tires!
However the Michelin Primacy indicate they have a 60K warranty!

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...H/tire-details

So basically what gives, why are people taking 30K??? If I buy the Primacy will I really be all set for 60K?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 11:06 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Wow, a 60k mile warranty? Maybe that is possible, but I don't think very many people are getting that kind of tire life out of a C-Class Mercedes. I would recommend reading the fine print carefully.

My car seems to get about 20k miles out of a set of tires. But I have a sport model with W-rated tires (ultra high performance).

Old 06-19-2010, 02:19 AM

2005 C320 Sport, 2010 C300 Sport
Tire warranties are a joke. Most people think that they cover wear and tear and things like nails, and side wall bubbles. These are usually all due to wear/accident and aren't covered in the warranty. Shops that fix things for you are doing it only out of service and to save the headache of going through a claim for the warranty.
If you ever do have an issue that is covered with a tire warranty, they require so much info. They want rotation records with inflation. They also end up pro-rating the mileage you used and offer you a "credit" towards a replacement. Even worse, you aren't the one who is issued the credit. The service shop that 3rd parties the warranty is the one who is issued the credit towards the replacement tire. They then turn it onto you.

On a side note, I had Michelin Pilot Sports for about 5 years (36k miles). They were actually the OE tires.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Those are MXV4 Primacy's. They may actually last 60k miles. One of the stock tires for the C-class sport sedans were the Michelin Pilot Primacy's. With Y or W ratings, the Pilot Primacy tires wear out much quicker than the MXV4 Primacys which only have a H rating.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:10 AM

2005 c230k ss, 2005 Land Rover LR3, 2006 Honda S2000
+1... my dad had those on his w210 and they lasted about 40k
Old 06-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 C280 4matic Avantgarde
I’m buying Michelin at Costco for last 15 years and not thinking about any other tire brand or other seller. They have sale each year before winter sometimes in October. 5 years free rotation, balancing (every 10 000 Km or twice a year whichever comes first) and free repair. Once I had nail on side of tire they couldn’t repair and they installed new one and measure wear of old one and charged me just $7.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:44 AM

soon to be c230
not all Michelins have mileage warranty only certain models, as long as you rotate your tires you shouldn't have any problems gotta make sure there is no unusual wear such as alignment, under inflated, balding in certain areas and flat spots than you should be fine. But if you have staggered wheels it doesn't apply since you can't rotate them.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
My latest set of tires are Continental DWS' with a 50k mileage warranty. Seeing as how I've never gotten anything more than 15k out of a set of rears I am looking forward to seeing how Continental deals with warranty claims. I put them on after being caught out in a snow storm a few years ago but the warranty doesn't hurt either.

You have to show that you rotated the tires every 6k. I checked with Continental regarding my staggered wheels and they said as long as I follow the manufacturers recommended rotation I am OK.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by lkfoster
My latest set of tires are Continental DWS' with a 50k mileage warranty. Seeing as how I've never gotten anything more than 15k out of a set of rears I am looking forward to seeing how Continental deals with warranty claims. I put them on after being caught out in a snow storm a few years ago but the warranty doesn't hurt either.

You have to show that you rotated the tires every 6k. I checked with Continental regarding my staggered wheels and they said as long as I follow the manufacturers recommended rotation I am OK.
Have fun with that warranty, read the fine print. They will not honor warranty if the tires are not swapped front to rear every 6K by an authorized service center. You have a staggered setup so that is not possible. Went through the same thing with my Michelin's that had 45K warranty.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Yeah, I was expecting much the same. But I've read the Continental fine print and they say to follow the manufacturer's recommendations which in my case is side to side. I also have an email from Continental Customer Service saying it will be OK.

Having said all that, I expect to have issues when trying to make a claim. I wanted the all season capability and the warranty is extra if it does work.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:45 PM

C280 4matic
O boy, so far nobody posted who was actually able to get them to honor the warranty and nobody who's Michelin's lasted 60k!

I think this should be a good case for a consumer protection lawsuit if there ever was one (False Advertisement)

Anyhow I think I will just bite the bullet and see where it goes! I know they require regular rotating and that shouldn't be a problem since BJ's gives me free rotating for life! I am going to make sure i keep all the paperwork!

Also, does anybody know if the warranty applies only if you buy all 4 tires?
The website is vague, it is probably in the booklet that comes with the tires but I don't have one yet. I am asking cause I have 1 BRAND NEW tire that came with the car! (Also Michelin Primacy, same make model)
Old 06-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
I put the Primacy MXV4's (H-rated) my my C-Coupe at mid-70k miles (I want to say 72,000 but it may have been 78,000) and just checked. I have 123,000 on the car now, and the tires are not down to the wear bars yet. I think I will see 60K out of them, if I don't get restless and put the C7 rims I bought on the car first.

They have been rotated every 5k miles, and I can rotate front and back. They have done well for me, primarily commuting about 80 miles a day round trip, both traffic and open interstate.

I actually got mine at the dealership, who price matched local shops and provided free road hazard and rotation. The road-hazard brochure is from MB and says it should be taken back to the selling dealer, but has an exception if you are away from the dealer when you have a problem . I have never had to use it, so I don't know how that would work out.

I have run MXV4s on several cars and have always had good luck with them and no complaints on the mileage from them. That being said, I do try to rotate every 5K, and have not had a staggered setup on my primary driver. Now my wife's SLK runs something a bit stickier and higher rated, and has a staggered setup, so we can't rotate. It has averaged about 20K on them, the rear's especially.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by edin555
I think this should be a good case for a consumer protection lawsuit if there ever was one.
Unless you’re already a wealthy class action attorney, kindly spare us the “consumer protection/false advertisement lawsuit if there ever was one” talk. Have you not read Michelin’s ‘Limited Treadwear Warranty’ stipulations? They’re applicable only to the original purchaser. Pro rated, too, not unlike those included with a ‘72 month’ battery. If it fails after four years, they’ll give you a measly $10 credit toward the purchase of another one - at full retail.

Have gone more than 20,000 miles on our C’s Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. Absolutely no chance they’ll do 45,000 in spite of Michelin’s marketing puffery. I’d have to forfeit my membership here if that were to ever occur. Must be noted the GMC’s Michelin LTX M/Ss surpassed their 70,000-mile warrantied service life by a substantial margin.

Tires are merely another pricey consumable. Recommend you install those most suitable for your needs and budget during subsequent replacements.
At least you’re receiving free BJ service for life.

reference:
http://www.michelinman.com/media/en-...d-warranty.pdf

Old 06-20-2010, 01:12 PM

C280 4matic
Originally Posted by splinter
Unless you’re already a wealthy class action attorney, kindly spare us the “consumer protection/false advertisement lawsuit if there ever was one” talk. Have you not read Michelin’s ‘Limited Treadwear Warranty’ stipulations? They’re applicable only to the original purchaser. Pro rated, too, not unlike those included with a ‘72 month’ battery. If it fails after four years, they’ll give you a measly $10 credit toward the purchase of another one - at full retail.

Have gone more than 20,000 miles on our C’s Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. Absolutely no chance they’ll do 45,000 in spite of Michelin’s marketing puffery. I’d have to forfeit my membership here if that were to ever occur. Must be noted the GMC’s Michelin LTX M/Ss surpassed their 70,000-mile warrantied service life by a substantial margin.

Tires are merely another pricey consumable. Recommend you install those most suitable for your needs and budget during subsequent replacements.
At least you’re receiving free BJ service for life.

reference:
http://www.michelinman.com/media/en-...d-warranty.pdf

I don't have the time for a class action suit so like I indicated above I am buying the tires instead, keeping records and hoping for the best when the time comes. I figured if they last 40K I still get about 33% pro-rated, if they last only 30K then 50%, which in on itself is not bad! Sure beats nothing!
We'll see how it goes, stipulations don't scare me since I am original purchaser and I will rotate tires regular since its free for me!
However if there is a class action attorney on board he is welcome to pursue it since obviously huge majority don't get the miles they are expecting!

Ps. That is also why I put a smiley behind class action suit since I am pissed at Michelin tactics but am not about to seriously start organizing a law suit here!

@MW ATL Thanks, that's the first good news I heard about that !
I am not really worried or anything like that though, just curious what will happen!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Mistakenly interpreted “I recently brought my C280 4matic with 38K miles on it and Michelin (but not Primacy) tires on it! They are pretty much completely worn out!” as you not having been the car’s initial owner and the tires’ original purchaser.

Reading comprehension has never been my strong suit. Good luck though.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 PM

C280 4matic
Thanks Splinter, might have been also the fact that English is not my first language . Or second for that matter LOL!

I appreciate your comments though and agree with them for the most part, tire warranties do seem to be PITA.

Ps. The worn out tires I pretty much written off since they are not even Primacy and don't have a 60K "warranty". I was more curious to see if I buy the Primacy now if I will really be set for 60K, and I think I have my answer now (probably not but Might get a modest discount on the next set)

Thanks Splinter and everybody for your answers!