C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Renntech's Dyno for the Pulley Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2002 | 11:42 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Renntech's Dyno for the Pulley Kit

I got permission to post this. This pull was made at 96 F with 255x35x18 rear wheels.

Randy
Old 02-05-2002 | 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Here is the dyno for the upsolute chip

The Renntech pully was at 200 lb/ft from 2500rpm to roughly 4500rpm. The horsepower was at 180. thats about 15 more horsepower, and not at 120mph, also if you havent noticed the 180 hp number that the upsolute chip made was a spike, which looked to be in a gear shift. Wait till Renntech comes out with their chip, then we can really get some serious hp out of the car. I would say around 200rwhp and 210 ft/lb. That will be nice

Last edited by TimmyC230boy; 02-05-2002 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2002 | 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
upsolute chip dyno
Old 02-05-2002 | 01:10 PM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
what the hell... it looks like the upsolute car was shifted during the run, twice. that is not the right way to perform a dyno pull.

the renntech pull looks good, I'm curious what kind of losses they are seeing though, at 15% thats 239lb-ft and 213hp... It wouldn't surprise me if the losses were greater than 15% though, 20% when you include those heavy-*** 18s would be more likely (its called inertia folks)... that would make 223hp and 249lb-ft.
Old 02-06-2002 | 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had my stock 6 speed on the dyno today and it puts out 167 HP at the rear wheel. The Renntech pulley doesn't impress with 185 (only an 18 HP improvement), not for the 2k they are asking. I think it needs a chip in combination with the pulley to break 200 HP which is my goal. I think between a pulley and a chip programmed to take advantage of it, 200 is doable.

The reason the Renntech dyno looks smooth is because it's a 6 speed on the dyno and it's kept in one gear the whole time and the Upsolute dyno run was on an automatic so you are seeing a 1/2/3 shift and the spikes during the shifts which don't count.
Old 02-06-2002 | 06:11 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Buellwinkle

I wish mine started with 167 thats between 197-200 HP stock your lucky to be starting with so much. That is 4 HP more to the wheels than the upsolute car did chipped. Oh and the pulley kit is not $2000.00 it is $1499.00. Warrenty included

Randy

Last edited by renncpe; 02-06-2002 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2002 | 09:46 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
ben-

please post the kleeman pully kit dyno

all 3 in one post.... that would be so darn convenient !!!

greg
Old 02-07-2002 | 09:20 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by greg230
ben-

please post the kleeman pully kit dyno

all 3 in one post.... that would be so darn convenient !!!

greg
Can somebody post the Kleeman pully kit Dyno I would like to see the diffrences also, they report more HP but less Torque.

Randy
Old 02-07-2002 | 10:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

I don't have a dyno available to me yet, and probably won't be able to get one until the weekend (Kleemann is in CA at our shop right now, not at their offices). I'll do what I can. I do know that the numbers reported on all Kleemann products are actual gains.
Old 02-07-2002 | 11:15 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by Mach430
I don't have a dyno available to me yet, and probably won't be able to get one until the weekend (Kleemann is in CA at our shop right now, not at their offices). I'll do what I can. I do know that the numbers reported on all Kleemann products are actual gains.
I'm not sure what you ment by "actual gains". I was not suggesting any thing diffrent I would like to see the diffrences between the two. I'm sure that they are'nt the same pulley set up.

BTW how does Kleemann feel about evosport making there own pulleys?

>>>"We are already in the process of making MB pulleys too!

>>>Buellwinkle, e-mail me privately. We can arrange a group >>>deal for the forum.

>>>Thanks

>>>Brad

Randy

Last edited by renncpe; 02-07-2002 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-07-2002 | 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In a few months many will be making pulley kits for the C230. I'm trying to get all the specs over to ASP Racing so they can start making them. BTW, their Eaton M90 supercharger pullies sell for $75 at rpmpoutlet.com and come in an assortment of sizes. A reasonable price for a pulley. If Renntech charges $2,000 for a pulley I'ld hate to see what they charge for a spark plug. IMHO Renntech does not want to sell any and priced it accordingly. What's funny is that people see what Renntech is charging and think they can get big bucks for a pulley so everyone's excited and trying to cash in on it. The winner will likely be someone like ASP that has the reputation and price. Afterall I've never heard of Kleemann, Carlsson, Wetteraur or RennTech before this forum.

Old 02-07-2002 | 12:25 PM
Banned

Renntech slk 32
It is not a supercharger pulley. The kit is a crankshaft pulley and idler pully.

You obviuosly never read any major car magazines. Renntech was in Car and Driver in November 2001. An E60 4matic wagen. It was in Motor Trend with a CLK 60 with a 6 Speed last year too. Brabus was in European Car this Month. Renntech was in European Car in Dec. Carlsson in European Car this month. KLeeman in Dec Car and Driver....on and on.

The Forum can both be a great place for knowledge and well as a repository for misinformation. I'd encourage you to read the MAJOR car mags, that actualy test the cars performace claims. Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Road and Track all have the equipement to test the tuners claims and they do a great job of it.

BTW the pulley kit is not $2000
Old 02-07-2002 | 01:00 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
In a few months many will be making pulley kits for the C230. I'm trying to get all the specs over to ASP Racing so they can start making them. BTW, their Eaton M90 supercharger pullies sell for $75 at rpmpoutlet.com and come in an assortment of sizes. A reasonable price for a pulley. If Renntech charges $2,000 for a pulley I'ld hate to see what they charge for a spark plug. IMHO Renntech does not want to sell any and priced it accordingly. What's funny is that people see what Renntech is charging and think they can get big bucks for a pulley so everyone's excited and trying to cash in on it. The winner will likely be someone like ASP that has the reputation and price. Afterall I've never heard of Kleemann, Carlsson, Wetteraur or RennTech before this forum.

Sorry, no results were found containing 'www.rpmpoutlet.com'

Search tips

Check your spelling. Are the words in your query spelled correctly?
Try using synonyms. Maybe the site you're looking for uses slightly different words, like "film" instead of "movie".
Make your search more general. For example, instead of using specific product names, try using the generic product category.

It's not just a simple pully and I'll bet you it will not be 75.00. Why would you spend 1500.0 on leather, and risk problems trying a genairic pulley set up for 75.00, with out any company support? No warrteny! I don't understand that way of thinking. The weight is important, the balence is important, the size is improtant, the action of the damping is improtant. I'm sure other companys did like Renntech did and made and tested many different one's and dyno tested then feild tested. I guess what you are saying is that it's ok to skip all that expence and copy one from Kleeman or Renntech or Brabus and have it made cheaper. You are right with out the expence of warrenty and R&D you could make a cheaper pulley.

Randy
Old 02-07-2002 | 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Randy, this is the link Buellwinkle meant:
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/
Old 02-07-2002 | 03:20 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
maybe i am too hung up on brands, but i would rather have a renntech/brabus/carlsson/kleeman pully, so i have someone to call and complain to.

they tested the pully, if it fails shame on them.
if i buy a generic pully and it fails, well who do i ***** at???

greg
Old 02-07-2002 | 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230 Sports Coupe
Originally posted by greg230
maybe i am too hung up on brands, but i would rather have a renntech/brabus/carlsson/kleeman pully, so i have someone to call and complain to.

they tested the pully, if it fails shame on them.
if i buy a generic pully and it fails, well who do i ***** at???

greg
Thats the whole reason I WILL buy from Renntech. My Rolex was $2500. Its also 8 years old. Do you know how many problems I've had with it. ZERO!. Thats why they are more $ than a Timex (no put downs to timex owners, i have several myself)they are quality, very sound products. For someone that has a mercedes to never have heard of Renntech is highly uncommon, but understandable. If the new Digital camera you want is made from Sony, and it 500 bucks, it has a warrenty and the legendary Sony quality, WHy on Earth would you buy one from a no-name (not implying Kleeman, as it is a reputable company) thats cheaper that has no warrenty and hasn't been tested. "Well it looks the same"isnt going to cut it for me
Old 02-07-2002 | 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't understand how you can compare a Rolex watch to a hunk of metal machined into a pulley. I like my Rolex but it's just overpriced jewelry and has nothing to do with getting a better watch as a Seiko would last as long. Heck I can get a few Seikos for what Rolex charges me every few years for a cleaning. And I've had several warranttee claims on my wife's Rolex with the face changing colors and not keeping time. If it was a car I would have done a lemon law deal on it. As for Sony, I would not pay a premium for Sony as I've had lots of faulty Sony products. It's all brand image and marketing. Some people fall for it and some like me are cynical and skeptical.

These days a CNC machine shop can make a simple pulley to within thousands of inch tolarance for very low costs. I can take a Renntech/Kleemann/Wetteraur pulley to several machine shops and they can CNC machine using the same alloy a perfect copy for next to nothing. I bet if your engine blew up Mr. Kleemann is not going to write you a check for a new motor. I'm sorry about the misinformation about the price of the RennTech pulley it's only $1,694 or about $1,500 more than it's worth. And yes it's a crankshaft and they have their reasons for going that way but that doesn't affect the price that much. Look at what Kleemann charges for a whole set of pullies and belt for a Beemer, $399. What's so special abou the MB pullies, could it be that they charge $899 because it's a bargain compared to $1,694 and not because it costs them more.

As for reading car magazines, yes I subscribe to several but I usually skip the articles on Callaway Vettes, Saleen Mustangs and Brubas, Lorinsen, RennTech MBs because I have no interest in them. To me they look ugly, like ricers for people that can't make their own but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-08-2002 | 10:22 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Time to buy a TAG Heuer Buellwinkle do you realize that the crankshaft pulley is not one solid piece? It has a large damper (large rubber bushing) built into the harmonic balancer that is one reason the price is higher that a simple metal pulley.

The 15 HP gain was posted early based on a dyno of a non production pulley kit, Renntech is getting more out of the final production kits. The exhaust will only add a couple of HP the rest is realized from the pulley and settings.

Randy
Old 02-08-2002 | 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
I'm going to buy a lathe for less than $2000 and make my own pulley.
Old 02-08-2002 | 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tag Heuer? Aren't they Rolex wannabees?

I know the MB crankshaft pulley has a rubber damper. The Kleemann pulley does not. Don't know about the others. I asked Kleemann 'bout that and their reason is that it's to reduce belt vibrations and it's effect is minimal. On the other hand they claim the Renntech kit is just a ring that clamps onto the pulley to make it larger. I though that was a clever idea for a K-Mart solution but they say it's bad. Is that true about the the Renntech kit? Also Kleeman puts an underdrive pulley on the alternator to compensate for the larger crankshaft pulley and the others don't. And Evosport wants to take that idea one step further and create an underdrive pulleys for the whole motor.

As for buying a lathe to make your own, that's a great idea. Can you make mine? Personally I would go to someone that really knew Eaton superchargers and had the CNC equipment to make really nice billet ones for cheap. That's why I went to ASP Racing. Hopefully they will make one for the little coupe.
Old 02-08-2002 | 12:36 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Tag the other swiss watch no 500 a year tune up required

No the Renntech one is the complete crankshaft pulley including the damper. Sorry not a K-mart clamp on. It sounds like the one from Renntech is made as closer to the original specifications of Mercedes except for the size. That may account for the difference in pricing also.

Randy
Old 02-08-2002 | 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Marketings job is to spread FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) about their competitors. It's good that we have some folks that have done it to straighten that out.

I though the other swiss watch was Swatch!
Old 02-09-2002 | 12:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

KLEEMANN Boost Kit

The KLEEMANN boost kit is a new crank pulley made from a solid 10 x 6 T6061 alloy billet. More than $75 worth of material by anyones standards. You get what you pay for- always. Rolex cost more for a reason, as should soundly engineered components for MBZ.

The Carlsson pulley system is a bolt on ring, not RennTech. If you are going to quote conversations we have, do everyone a favor and be accurate.
Old 02-09-2002 | 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is a picture of the Carlsson pulley kit.

I have no idea of the price. It does look like a ring is screwed onto the stock crank pulley.
Old 02-09-2002 | 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it's between Carlsson and Kleemann. Anyhoo, I don't see the ring in their kit, looks like a pair of pullies and some piping. Here's the pic from their website. Kleemann, are you sure it was Carlsson with the ring around the stock pulley?

I don't know what Carlsson charges because when I contacted their only authorized US importer on their website, Tire Rack, Jake says that they don't sell that because Carlson's engine mods are illegal in the U.S.. Of course that got me thinking, does anybody, including Kleemann have a CARB and EPA Certification for any of these pulley kits or ECU mods.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Renntech's Dyno for the Pulley Kit