C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I need to know the order of how to program a new EIS to the ECM.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230
I need to know the order of how to program a new EIS to the ECM.

Hello. This advice is probably worth a lot... thank you so much for the help.

It's over 2 months, my car has moved auto shops, but unfortunately I didn't take it to the Mercedes dealership.

Let me catch you up to speed.

I took it in because the AC was blowing hot air.

At the auto shop the key stopped turning.

I changed auto shops and replaced the EIS.

They told me the EIS wasn't recognizing the key.

I got a new key, and they said the EIS is recognizing the key, but it won't start.

Now, here is the crunch time.

Basically, I need to know the exact order of how you are supposed to program a new EIS and key (preferably to be able to use your old key as well if it is still good). If they did it in improper order, and I need a whole nother EIS, they will just tell me I need another ECM or something major.

This can get bad very fast, so please help. What is the order of green key, programming the EIS to the ECM, etc...

How do you do it, what software, what steps.

Please, as much info as you can give could prevent me a lot of trouble.

Thanks,

- Adam
Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM

2002 c230
just ordered tech manual lol.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:36 AM

2002 c230
"So, the proper steps are: order a new EIS, along with a green key and one or more new keys to match the ESN's in that green key. Replace the EIS, program it with the green, key, then drive with the new keys."

When you get a new EIS you need a new key because of the "random rolling code."

Now, I took the car into to get serviced for the AC and the EIS/ key stopped recognizing eachother.

Is it possible that the ECM or TCU going down can cause the EIS/ key to not recognize eachother?

We COULD bypass the EIS and jump start the car, however, by opening up the ignition switch, flicking a switch and then sending a charge to the starter.

Last edited by Onericali; 09-04-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Take this car to a dealer with a Star DAS & get them to re-adapt EIS to CAN Bus to ECU & TCU.

The EIS is the top of the control pyramid & everything has to be adapted to recognise one another, shake hands & operate properly. They also need to check that the EIS is energising the key inductively.

You could go to an Indy if they have a Star & actually know what they are doing. This is not DIY & it is not plug & play.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-04-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 UFO
Originally Posted by Onericali
"So, the proper steps are: order a new EIS, along with a green key and one or more new keys to match the ESN's in that green key. Replace the EIS, program it with the green, key, then drive with the new keys."

When you get a new EIS you need a new key because of the "random rolling code."

Now, I took the car into to get serviced for the AC and the EIS/ key stopped recognizing eachother.

Is it possible that the ECM or TCU going down can cause the EIS/ key to not recognize eachother?

We COULD bypass the EIS and jump start the car, however, by opening up the ignition switch, flicking a switch and then sending a charge to the starter.
You can get a new EIS and have your old key work with it, because it has the same "VIN" encoded into the key. & that's where the green key comes in play. It's used to program the EIS to the key, & only a dealership can order a green key from my understandings. Same for the EIS, thats why you lost me when you said that you didn't do the repair at a dealership....

I only replaced my EIS and they programmed it to my key so I didn't have to buy anything "extra" that I already had.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:23 AM

2002 c230
Great ideas man. So, I replaced EIS, got a new key, programmed it correctly, there is a Mercedes master mechanic overseeing it.

Now, like ive been saying this whole time, the steering wheel hasnt been locked. Apparently, since this is connected to the Drive Authorization system, it could be the problem. The said they found a fault in the steering wheel lock. 452 with labor and parts.

Now its been two days. I'm guessing it didn't work, wait let me call... Oh he said they just haven't got the part yet. WHEW

Anyway, please be advised, EIS and Key is not the only reasons for the key not turning.

I just wish I could have started with the simplest problem 10 weeks ago when I took the car in, rather than pay 1500.

Oh well, I got a check from the Army for 2 grand for stop loss pay that I had NO IDEA I was entitled to.

God's a trip eh?

LOL, updates yall