C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Need some suspension answers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 & 996 911
Need some suspension answers

This is for a 2005 c230 Kompressor Sedan

I am in the process of replacing the front suspension with H&R coilovers. I ordered new strut hats and all that but it didn't come with one of the locking nuts for the top of the hat like the stock struts have. I'm wondering if this is necessary? and if so, why? what does it do? I have the coilovers all the way down so there is not much compression on the spring since they are a lot shorter than the stock springs to begin with. The only part of the strut assembly that I don't have is that little locking washer/nut thing. I don't have a picture of the diagram but if you look at it, you'll see what I'm talking about. It's the piece that you need the special MB tool to remove. I have that tool but my shop said the nut is too tight and they couldn't get it off no matter what they tried... that's why I bought all new hats. Thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
yes you need the locking nut for the hat, it's what keeps the hat down so you can put the bracket thats on top of the strut tower back on. If you look on the DIY trutraing has put a DIY up on how to install coilovers. To remove the the nut and the hat you need to use a vice clamp to hold onto the hat and use an allen wrench in the socket ontop of the strut to keep it in place. It takes some force but it'll eventually break loose. Its alot easier with two people, I've done it twice by myself and its a B to do but you can do it.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:44 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
if you can't remove the original one just go up to one of the online shops for parts (getmercedesparts or rmeuropean) and order it. you need it for locking down the hat.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:48 AM

2011 E350 & 996 911
Originally Posted by phister
yes you need the locking nut for the hat, it's what keeps the hat down so you can put the bracket thats on top of the strut tower back on. If you look on the DIY trutraing has put a DIY up on how to install coilovers. To remove the the nut and the hat you need to use a vice clamp to hold onto the hat and use an allen wrench in the socket ontop of the strut to keep it in place. It takes some force but it'll eventually break loose. Its alot easier with two people, I've done it twice by myself and its a B to do but you can do it.
I'm wondering if the lock wasn't used and the bracket was reattached on the top then would there be any problems? Does the locking nut serve any purpose once the strut is all back together and installed? That's what I'm wondering
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 AM

2011 E350 & 996 911
Originally Posted by FrankW
if you can't remove the original one just go up to one of the online shops for parts (getmercedesparts or rmeuropean) and order it. you need it for locking down the hat.
looking at the diagram on getmercedesparts, I don't even see the little locking nut

I guess that's why I'm wondering if it actually is necessary with aftermarket coilovers
Old 09-24-2010, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
it should come with the hat #15 i believe. I'd call them up and ask. you will need even if its on a coilover because the lock nut holds the base mount to the upper spring seat. if you dont have it locked down and tight the upper spring seat can move and turn and your springs will not be seated properly. also you will hear a knocking noise like your struts are bottoming out, I had this experience the first time when I didnt have my lock nut tighten down all the way. After I tightened all the way, the knocking noise disappeared. so it is an important part to have. if you read the instructions to installing the coilovers from tein or h&r it says to use the lock nut when puttin the base mount on. here's teins instructions and diagram of it. its on page 8

http://www.tein.com/tech_info/inst/lg00u.pdf
Old 09-24-2010, 04:44 AM

2011 E350 & 996 911
it should come with the hat #15 i believe. I'd call them up and ask. you will need even if its on a coilover because the lock nut holds the base mount to the upper spring seat. if you dont have it locked down and tight the upper spring seat can move and turn and your springs will not be seated properly. also you will hear a knocking noise like your struts are bottoming out, I had this experience the first time when I didnt have my lock nut tighten down all the way. After I tightened all the way, the knocking noise disappeared. so it is an important part to have. if you read the instructions to installing the coilovers from tein or h&r it says to use the lock nut when puttin the base mount on. here's teins instructions and diagram of it. its on page 8

http://www.tein.com/tech_info/inst/lg00u.pdf
I see. Yeah that is the only piece I need now... just can't find it for sale anywhere. I don't know if it was supposed to come with the hat assembly or not but I'll give them a call and ask. Maybe they'll have them for sale. Thanks for the help

Trending Topics

Old 09-24-2010, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
not a problem... I would go to parts department at the mb dealership too and see if they sell it seperately. Its just odd to me that they cant get it off. If I can do it with a pair of vice clamps and an allen wrench, I would think they could do it. Maybe they're turning it the wrong way, make sure they're turning the hat counter clock wise and have the wrench turning the strut clock wise. But if you can find the lock nut then there's no real need to mess with it.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:04 AM

2011 E350 & 996 911
not a problem... I would go to parts department at the mb dealership too and see if they sell it seperately. Its just odd to me that they cant get it off. If I can do it with a pair of vice clamps and an allen wrench, I would think they could do it. Maybe they're turning it the wrong way, make sure they're turning the hat counter clock wise and have the wrench turning the strut clock wise. But if you can find the lock nut then there's no real need to mess with it.
That's what I was thinking... the car has been in the shop 3 times and they couldn't do it. It's just really starting to **** me off that I've had these coilovers for almost a month and the fronts aren't on yet. If I can find the lock nuts then I'll have everything so I can just take out the whole stock strut assemblies and install the new ones myself
Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
have you tried a good reputable MB shop? or a euro shop? alot of times places dont really know how to work on euro cars unless they've had plenty of experiences with them. I'm just lucky I have friends that work at places that deal with alot of euro cars, mainly MBs.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 AM

2011 E350 & 996 911
have you tried a good reputable MB shop? or a euro shop? alot of times places dont really know how to work on euro cars unless they've had plenty of experiences with them. I'm just lucky I have friends that work at places that deal with alot of euro cars, mainly MBs.
Haven't called my local MB dealer/shop yet but I'll give them a call if the shop I bought the hats from doesn't have them. I wish everyone knew more about the cars haha