C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

pistons

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230 racecar
pistons

Hi someone mentioned some after market pistons for Mercedes, I’m looking for some pistons for mi racecar it’s a 2003 C230 1.8L with a supercharger, I keep melting the OEM pistons and it is getting to be expensive, can someone help. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by 427cobra
Hi someone mentioned some after market pistons for Mercedes, I’m looking for some pistons for mi racecar it’s a 2003 C230 1.8L with a supercharger, I keep melting the OEM pistons and it is getting to be expensive, can someone help. Thanks.
Whose pistons are you using in the Cobra? I’ve had good luck with Mahle, Kolbenschmidt, CP and Ross.

Probably best to first ascertain why yours “keep melting.”

http://www.ms-motor-service.com/xima..._leseprobe.pdf
http://www.kolbenschmidt.com.tr/pdf/...804-02_WEB.pdf
Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 PM

2003 C230 racecar
Originally Posted by splinter
Whose pistons are you using in the Cobra? I’ve had good luck with Mahle, Kolbenschmidt, CP and Ross.

Probably best to first ascertain why yours “keep melting.”

www.ms-motor-service.com/ximages/ks_50003973-02_web_leseprobe.pdf
www.kolbenschmidt.com.tr/pdf/brochure/KS_50003804-02_WEB.pdf

The cobra pistons are OEM (ford) and it only runs full throttle for 11 second (¼ mile).

The Mercedes has to go full throttle for 1h. and runs 40psi. boost on the supercharger.
Why do they melt? Well I’m still working on that.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 2002
40 psi prove it
Old 12-17-2010, 05:01 PM

2003 c240
Originally Posted by Xhale707
40 psi prove it
Old 12-18-2010, 12:02 PM

2003 C230 racecar
Originally Posted by cpbeasley
We aren't advertising our cars as competitive at the dragstrip. This is simply an enthusiast's forum.

Why don't you go back to the hole from which you came from. You and your "melted pistons".

The time is overdue for this thread to be closed.
What is your problem man? I was only responding to a comment someone made, and I am not drag racing the Mercedes it is mi road racecar, and yes I am very enthusiastic about racing mi Mercedes so if you don’t like this thread then DON’T READ IT!

Now go back to sleep.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Old 12-18-2010, 12:31 PM

1995 gt
We aren't advertising our cars as competitive at the dragstrip. This is simply an enthusiast's forum.

Why don't you go back to the hole from which you came from. You and your "melted pistons".

The time is overdue for this thread to be closed.

wow bro.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:32 PM

2003 C230 racecar
Originally Posted by Xhale707
40 psi prove it
Before I prove it, I’m going to tray and find some ceramic pistons like they use in F1.

Ps. it’s not easy trying to improve MB.)
Old 12-18-2010, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 ML500
cool story bro
Old 12-18-2010, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Melted pistons suggests a more careful consideration of the sources of heat in the cylinder and how to manage it better. Engines turn heat energy into mechanical energy by burning fuel. Diesel, gas, coal, oil, nuclear reaction, wood, alcohol, kerosine, internal combustion, steam, turbine, stirling, or jet all have issues with temperature. In gas engines there is an energy split of about one third going to mechanical motion (the desirable part), one third going out the exhaust (everything poops) and the last third absorbed by the mechanicals.

I was not aware that roots or screw type compressors could run at 40 square, but that might be contributing to your problem of excessive heat. Superchargers unlike turbochargers consume power from the engine to compress the air. Roots type are popular because the power comes on faster than turbochargers which can be signifcant in drag racing where timing divides seconds into a thousand parts. Most drag racing takes less than ten seconds, funs over. That is why I prefer a track like Willow where the fun go on for a considerable period.

Turbocharging might be an answer for you. That process recycles waste heat in the exhaust to turn the compressor, giving you an advantage of increased fuel capacity for the volume of the engine without generating heat for the compression of the air necessary for the increased fuel to burn.

Another item to consider is the diameter of the exhaust system. A person with a sharp pencil and knowelege of "automotive math" can calculate the diameter necessary for optimum heat flow out the exhaust.

Removing the heat from the engine will also help. Increase the cooling with larger radiators and electric motors on the fans. Increased oil cooling is also necessary as the primary purpose of oil is not lubrication, it is to carry heat generated by friction from the moving parts.

Ceramic pistons will certainly resist melting better than alloy pistons, but the pricision required to use them is probably beyond most automotive machine shops to grind and lap them properly. I don't think there is any economy to be enjoyed by using ceramic or Hyundai would have them on the street already.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Banned

C320 2002
Why am I the only one who seems to realise this fool is a troll?

CLose the ****** thread, Mods. Jesus.
=D +1 I smell
Old 12-18-2010, 05:10 PM

1995 gt
Im proud to a member here and don't appreciate someone from a Ford website coming here pretending to be a village idiot asking about melted pistons on his 40psi w203.

Your contribution is, "wow bro". Nice.

listen, we're all members here. so go take a xanax and chill the f out.

goodday.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 C280 4Matic
You seem to have some beef here with 427cobra. I also smell the BS in the air, the best thing you can do is not post and the thread will go away. Its not worth getting worked up over.

TL;DR: Don't feed the trolls
Old 12-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

C320 2002
Im proud to a member here and don't appreciate someone from a Ford website coming here pretending to be a village idiot asking about melted pistons on his 40psi w203.

KEEP RAGING!!!!! hahahaha

40PSI is his tire pressure
Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 AM

2003 C230 racecar
Originally Posted by pcasey06
listen, we're all members here. so go take a xanax and chill the f out.

goodday.
It’s ok pcasey06, people how make this type of comments are usually uneducated people who hang around site like this pretending the hone a Mercedes so they can feel important.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:56 AM

2003 C230 racecar
A lil rage is good for cleansing the soul
Cpbeasley; if you don’t have anything intelligent to say don’t say anything at all you are making an idiot of yourself.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
MB’s hypereutectic cast pistons, although clearly not as strong as most forgings, do tend to be rather durable.
Since you find they “keep melting,” there are certainly other operational difficulties at play causing the condition,
such as detonation, pre-ignition or insufficient fueling.

And where do you compete that allows “full throttle for 1h. and runs 40psi. boost on the supercharger?”

AMG carnage resulting from improper tuning:

Aforementioned CP destined for a M113:

:sadwavey:
Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 AM

2003 C230 racecar
Originally Posted by Moviela
Melted pistons suggests a more careful consideration of the sources of heat in the cylinder and how to manage it better. Engines turn heat energy into mechanical energy by burning fuel. Diesel, gas, coal, oil, nuclear reaction, wood, alcohol, kerosine, internal combustion, steam, turbine, stirling, or jet all have issues with temperature. In gas engines there is an energy split of about one third going to mechanical motion (the desirable part), one third going out the exhaust (everything poops) and the last third absorbed by the mechanicals.

I was not aware that roots or screw type compressors could run at 40 square, but that might be contributing to your problem of excessive heat. Superchargers unlike turbochargers consume power from the engine to compress the air. Roots type are popular because the power comes on faster than turbochargers which can be signifcant in drag racing where timing divides seconds into a thousand parts. Most drag racing takes less than ten seconds, funs over. That is why I prefer a track like Willow where the fun go on for a considerable period.

Turbocharging might be an answer for you. That process recycles waste heat in the exhaust to turn the compressor, giving you an advantage of increased fuel capacity for the volume of the engine without generating heat for the compression of the air necessary for the increased fuel to burn.

Another item to consider is the diameter of the exhaust system. A person with a sharp pencil and knowelege of "automotive math" can calculate the diameter necessary for optimum heat flow out the exhaust.

Removing the heat from the engine will also help. Increase the cooling with larger radiators and electric motors on the fans. Increased oil cooling is also necessary as the primary purpose of oil is not lubrication, it is to carry heat generated by friction from the moving parts.

Ceramic pistons will certainly resist melting better than alloy pistons, but the pricision required to use them is probably beyond most automotive machine shops to grind and lap them properly. I don't think there is any economy to be enjoyed by using ceramic or Hyundai would have them on the street already.
Thanks for the impute Moviela, I am having the pistons analyzed to find out what exactly has happened, after a closer look it looks like they did not melt, it looks more like they are broken.
This car is running in the cctcc world championship and we are restricted in the modifications we can make, so no turbo.
Her are a couple of pictures of piston and modifications to the compressor, and the fastest C230 on the track.
Attached Thumbnails pistons-img_2552.jpg   pistons-img_2553.jpg   pistons-img_2554.jpg   pistons-img_2555.jpg  
Old 12-19-2010, 11:09 AM

1995 gt
It’s ok pcasey06, people how make this type of comments are usually uneducated people who hang around site like this pretending the hone a Mercedes so they can feel important.
hah exactly

Cpbeasley; if you don’t have anything intelligent to say don’t say anything at all you are making an idiot of yourself.
+1
Old 12-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Banned

"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
LOL!!!

Believe it or not I would love to hear what this guy has to say and am more than interested in his problem now that he's brought a little more to the table than "mi pistons are melted".

I suppose this is the part where I say stand corrected now that 427cobra has provided at least some pictures and some scant information about his problem. Pardon me for being skeptical about a first post with zero information or background about a cl230 running 40psi... something the likes of doesn't come around very often.
People get flamed on here for not providing their CEL codes along with their symtpoms of a problem... no less what this guy brings to his first posts.

Please continue, 427cobra, good of you to finally provide a little bit of a background

Nice wing.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 AM

2003 C230 racecar
Originally Posted by splinter
MB’s hypereutectic cast pistons, although clearly not as strong as most forgings, do tend to be rather durable.
Since you find they “keep melting,” there are certainly other operational difficulties at play causing the condition,
such as detonation, pre-ignition or insufficient fueling.

And where do you compete that allows “full throttle for 1h. and runs 40psi. boost on the supercharger?”

AMG carnage resulting from improper tuning:

Has I mentioned in my last post it looks like they are broken and not melted, I will be able to tell you in more detail at the end of the week what happened to them.
The ECU has been reprogrammed 2 times already (it’s a stand-alone ECU) so I am fairly confident that pre-ignition or insufficient fueling are not the culprit.
Full throttle for 1h. is a figure of speech, I race at Mosport, Shannon Ville, Calabogy, Trois- Rivieres, circuit Gilles Villeneuve Montréal, Mont-Tremblant, and for 2011 Mirabel.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 AM

1995 gt
And casey - you continue to grace our forum with the utmost in contributory posts. glad you could make it.

Hey man, glad im on here. You should focus more on helping fellow members, instead of bashing people and falsly accusing people.

Stop trying to be a tough guy, all it says to other members is, im an a**hole.

GROW UP.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Banned

"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
Now that I realise the mistake I have made, Im taking myself out of this discussion as I cannot contribute. I will function much better as a spectator. Perhaps you should do the same, casey. & I'll let other members form their own opinions of me, thank you

One last thing - Cobra, could you give us a more detailed description of your car and what you've done to the engine and supercharger? Its not very often we get to see a C230 coupe with lexan windows and a race motor. I apologize for being skeptical and negative. You are who you say you are. We don't get that alot here when people come making big claims.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 AM

2003 C230 racecar
Now that I realise the mistake I have made, Im taking myself out of this discussion as I cannot contribute. I will function much better as a spectator. Perhaps you should do the same, casey. & I'll let other members form their own opinions of me, thank you

One last thing - Cobra, could you give us a more detailed description of your car and what you've done to the engine and supercharger? Its not very often we get to see a C230 coupe with lexan windows and a race motor. I apologize for being skeptical and negative. You are who you say you are. We don't get that alot here when people come making big claims.

Well first of English is not mi first language, so bear with me for the spelling mistake.
Now for the engine, the bottom end is basically stock, it’s an extremely strong engine, you wound’s believe the punishment it goes throw during a race, the head has had some extensive work done to it, it’s been ported and match intake, polish, multi-angle valve job, re-surfaced, flow tested, polish throttle body, 3.5’’ kleeman header and underdrive pulleys.

Of cores there has been lots of other work done to it like gutted AC. Compressor, modified intercooler tube, adjustable boost controller, carbon fibre hood & rear deck/hatch, fibreglass doors, custom made double adjustable suspension, standalone ECU, hewland adjustable differential etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: pistons