C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Comand install (retrofit), am I missing anything?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
Comand install (retrofit), am I missing anything?

I finally pulled the trigger on a new head unit and went with a stock comand system. I really wanted something newer/fancier, but a pretty good deal on a stock unit swayed me to go this route ($400 for a factory refurbished '04 unit with warranty). So I've been looking in all the head unit install threads (and links you kind folks have given me) and think I have a handle on this but thought I'd run it by the board to make sure.

I currently have the cassette player unit (audio 30?) along with the cd changer in the glove box. It appears all I really need for this install is an adapter cable (to split the 'C' connector on the back of the audio 30 into 'C1' and 'C2' for the nav unit) and the correct GPS antenna. Is this correct? I'm also going to install the aux input connector so I'll be needing that harness too (A203 540 6107).

The install write-up I have calls out an adapter harness (p/n A203 540 0909) which the installer cuts up to help with the install. I'm wondering if there isn't a pre-made adapter available? I'm also still looking for a part # for the GPS antenna that mounts in the dash with the correct connector.

Lastly, I'm asuming I can order all this from rmeuropean? Or is there a better place for getting this stuff (like an audio specialy store)?

Last edited by mtnman82; 12-31-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
The adapter harness is out there: as well as the MB retrofit antenna. AudioComp has them, listed under Kabelsätze, for the adapter harnesses and the cool thing is that they have the individual parts (connectors and pins) listed under Stecker. The cool thing with AudioComp is that they have *parts* too. It isn't an issue for you, but I needed to replace the knobs on my Comand unit. Just try to find those anywhere in the States! The only drawback is that their site is in German and they are not setup for online ordering from the States. However, if you email them, they handle emails in English very well, and will do paypal for the order.

ComandOnline has the adapter harness as well as the retrofit antennas also. I have not bought from them so I can't comment as much on the ordering.

The only drawback is that shipping from Europe to the States is very, very expensive unless they use regular mail. Of course that means it takes a week or two to get your package. I think we are spoiled in the U.S. as how cheap overnight shipping is.

If you get an adapter harness - where ever you choose, check with them, though. Often they do not have the wires for the CD player, unless you ask them to add them. Or you can order the parts and pins and build your own with the connections you need. The pin-outs you need are out there.

The adapter harness you are talking about, I believe, with out checking the number, is from the ML. I went that route, but in the end, I think it would have been cheaper for me to order the connectors and pins I needed from AudioComp and gone that route. Unfortunately, I didn't find that AudioComp had them until after I found the connector. It is possible you could get that connector from a salvage yard, if they had the right year ML class that had a Comand unit in it. Usually when they pull the Comand unit they leave the wiring harness (and thus that adapter) in the vehicle -- if you could find a yard that would be willing to go pull it out for you.

There are some aftermarket antennas out there, but if you search, you can find the MB retrofit antenna on eBay frequently. I don't have the part number handy, but I will try to look for it over the weekend. I'm sure I still got it somewhere. I assume your car doesn't have TeleAid?

That's a pretty good deal on the Comand unit. Where did you find it?

Last edited by MW_ATL; 12-31-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks once again, MW_ATL! The install instructions you posed in the other thread mention connector pinouts being posted 'on his site' - do you know who did the write up and/or what his site URL is? Nope my car does not have TeleAid. I got the unit off EBay from Midwest Electronics(?). They had three and the first two went really quickly so I jumped on it - the good price made my mind up for me on which way to go regarding aftermarket or not. Plus I'm hoping the install is easy...
Old 12-31-2010, 07:10 PM

Cool. Mine has been great so far, but I have often looked at the SAT button and wondered....but I think my actual next expense will be video input for the unit, and maybe a backup camera. At least those are on the wish list.

I've got the pin-outs somewhere and will post them this weekend. I just have to get a chance to find them.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I thought someone with STAR could enable the video input, but then you would lose the SAT input (SAT button turns into TV button)? Is this not the case? I'm not sure I'd ever use the TV or video input, but it woudl be nice to have SAT radio AND a backup camera. I'm guessing bluetooth would be a major pain with this unit, if even possible? I'll keep a lookout for the pinouts. Need to get the other parts on order now...
Old 12-31-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo
have you read my guide on switching to the newer system?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yup, sure did Overdrive. Props to you on that! It looked tempting, but I don't think wifey would let me do something like that to the car (it's really her car, but I drive it all the time). In fact, I haven't told her yet that I bought the comand... But being a stock item, I don't think she'll have a problem with it. Plus I've got a ton of stuff going on here over the next couple months so the possibility of an easy install really did it for me.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 PM

From www.mercupgrades.com: these are the connections you need to make for the adapter harness. The colors matched on mine, but they could be different.

You have to make the following connections :-

From To Color Note Usage
C pin 1 C2 pin 9 Brown/Red A CANbus high
C pin 2 C2 pin 8 Brown A CANBus low
C pin 5 C1 pin 6 Red/Black CD Changer +
C pin 6 C1 pin 5 Brown CD Changer -
C pin 4 C2 pin 10 Blue/Black D2B Wakeup

A = These two cables must be twisted pair (to prevent signal interference). If these are the wrong way round, all sort of electrical things may misbehave. It has been reported that some cars are wired the other way round, so it may be worth comparing the cable colours.

To add the Aux input you will make these connections:

The input connections are on the C2 connector and are as follows: -
Right Signal 4
Right Ground 5
Left Signal 13
Left Ground 14

Shielded 3-core cable should be used with the shield connected to pin 14 of connector C2.

There is a loom available from Mercedes for this which has a 3.5mm jack for the glovebox and a white connector that plugs into the COMAND wiring loom – this is part number
A210 440 50 05
It has the 3.5mm jack socket at one end, and a white four pin connector at the other. You can either cut that connector off and connect it directly to the C2 connection to COMAND, or you can make a short loom between C2 and that using the male connector, which is part number: -
A037 545 06 28
Pins for that are
A035 545 73 28

I chose to actually use the male connector above instead of wiring it directly to the C2 connector. I ended up having the CANBUS pins not making a good contact to the Comand unit in my installation and it drove me nuts for about 2 days. Once I got the C2 connector to seat properly everything was great.

Oh, and Bluetooth isn't as bad as you might think. There are quite a few shortcuts you can take now that make is easier than the route I used.

Last edited by MW_ATL; 01-02-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks MW_ATL! I'd love to know how to add bluetooth to this comand .
Old 01-03-2011, 07:35 AM

One....admittedly expensive...option for adding video to your Comand: NAVTV
I am not sure what happens using it with the SAT button as well. Be interesting to ask.

Your best guide to integrating Bluetooth is HERE. I haven't sorted through it in a while, but there are quite a few bits and pieces you no longer need to use from the factory phone integration kit now. It was intended for a docked v60 after all. I know the cradle is no longer necessary with the cradle-eliminator cable. It is a good read, if nothing else. Most of what you need is pretty reasonable, new or eBay. Just check, sometimes eBay prices go higher than you could buy new -- especially for the PSE. I will dig out my notes on that at some point.

Of course...if you are doing all that, adding the Voice Control module is really simple.