C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Problem with scratchs on black car after washing the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Coupe Kompressor
Question Problem with scratchs on black car after washing the car

Hi! I got a black c230 coupe and im having a prob with the paint! Everytime that i wash the car i notice more tiny little scratchs on the paint.. i wash the car with clean soft clothes and i wash it part by part beginnig at the top and finishing at the bottom and more dirty part so that the dirt of the bottom doesnt affect the top part of the car but i still get the little scratches!! what can i do to prevent this? im going to take the car to a car spa or however you call that (an expensive car whash) so they can give the paint a treatment but im asking so when i get that done i can prevent it from happening again.. please help! thanks a lot!
Old 02-08-2002, 07:19 PM
benzomonterey

swirl remover thread
Old 02-08-2002, 07:36 PM

C230 Coupe Kompressor
Hey thanks a lot!!! I really aprecciate it! I found everything i needed in those posts! Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2002, 08:41 PM

2002 C 230K
I have a black 230 (1 week old) and I haven't washed it YET..I'm almost afraid to. My neighbor swears by Girot's products (Girot's Garage.com). He has been using them for years to wash and wax his Jag.. it looks good!! On another note, tonight when I was driving home, I heard a RATTLE from the passenger rear side.. I freaked.. when I got home I looked under the car and there are 6 screws, right near the door... 3 of them were very loose, almost coming off.. I tightened them. I don't think that was the problem.. but what could it be? My car is 1 week old!! Any help/advise would be great.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:02 PM

SLC 43, E53
what is the best stuff to use if you hand wash...which i feel is the only way to go....

i would like to use a product that won't take off the wax but does a good job removing the dirt
Old 02-08-2002, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Thumbs up ZAINO

TRY ZAINO the stuff works and puts most ALL other products to
SHAME from the soap to the polish IT works (I OWN a BLACK CAR)
just remember ANYTIME you TOUCH a BLACK CAR you WILL SCRATCH It ALSO check the p21 products the drying towel
IT does NOT scratch as BAD as the other PRODUCTS

good luck
Mark
Old 02-08-2002, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
sadly, thats just something you have to deal with owning a black car. But theres nothing nicer that a freshly waxed high gloss black Mercedes
Old 02-09-2002, 12:31 AM
Almost a Member!

Crossfire Coupe
Hey guys,

I use meguiars liquid wax. Even after I wash the car it seems like my black C-Coupe needs a wax after every wash because of the wondeful swirl effect under heavy sunlight. So I just wax it after every wash and it looks awesome (protects better anyways). Too bad the black gets dirty so quickly but true, the best thing is looking at a shiny just waxed Black Benz. Also there's not much to wax than on an ordinary car becuase the entire roof is glass-and to me that's the biggest pain in the A** part of a car to wax; the roof.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by MARK CUMMINS

just remember ANYTIME you TOUCH a BLACK CAR you WILL SCRATCH It ALSO check the p21 products the drying towel
IT does NOT scratch as BAD as the other PRODUCTS
I think Mark is right -- I've got Capri Blue (very dark) and I think small scratches are a fact of life. Especially with today's "softer" paints. You can't polish out the scratches each time you wash -- you'll wear away the clearcoat.

BTW, I use P21S bodywork conditioning shampoo to wash my C240 and I like it a lot -- supposed to be gentle on waxes. I tried the P21S drying towel but stopped using it. It absorbs water very well, but it creates a lot of friction on the paint surface as you wipe it down, and due to its smooth surface, any particles will be dragged on the paint. I've gone back to 100% cotton towels.
Old 02-09-2002, 06:02 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
What are you using to dry the car?

If you are using a chamois, you are scratching it up.

A chamois is the WORST thing you can dry a car with. They hold dirt and create too much friction.

As Mark L pointed out, a clean, 100% cotton is by far the best thing to dry a car with. 100% cotton doesn't scratch, everything else does.

Other than that, use a good wash mitt and any of the commercial soaps designed for washing cars. They are all about the same. The secret is in the drying!