C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

trip to toronto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
trip to toronto

well, just put about 500 miles on our trip to toronto to visit the in-laws and just hang out for US thanksgiving break! (and 500 more when we go back). still haven't seen any other coupe around.

three quick stories:

eileen broke the cupholder when she tried to reach into the back seat. i guess it was pretty inevitable... it still works but there is a small crack in a corner. it probably costs $150! but a little crazy glue, no one will know (except ME! )

there are no km marks on the speedometer (only mph) so when it says 100 for the speed limit in Canada, i went a 100 just kidding. averaged 69.9 mph, w/ 27.4 mpg. not too shabby gas efficiency. my old acura got about 31 and my soobie forester had gotten 29.

Intimidating US police stopped everyone crossing the border to Canada.
Big cop asks, "How much money you got?!" Are we getting mugged?
"What?" I reply thinking what a strange question. Is this a real cop? I look for the badge but the other cops w/ the police cars and van make it seem legitimate. And of course, there is the queue we are in.
"How much money you got?!"
"A little."
"You got more than $10,000?"
I guffaw at this, "No way! Maybe a couple of hundred."
"Ok." and he gestured for us to go ahead.

The Canadian border police are much friendlier. We get the standard questions regarding nationality and why we are coming to canada. We're visiting family. "Any gifts for your family?" he asks.
"No."
"Any alcohol or tobacco?"
"No." We don't smoke or drink.
He smiles and says, "what kind of family are you? not bringing any gifts?"
Eileen replies, "We're here to mooch!" I wish I had thought of that reply. He laughs and waves us through.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if I remember correctly you can toggle your in-dash computer to display data in English/US or Metric. so you could have set the display to show the speed in km/h (it's in the Trip & Odo/Temp/oil check/FSS/speed section)
Old 11-19-2001, 02:37 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k coupe
I'll be in Toronto this weekend too. That's when I will get to use the temperature scale in centigrade and km/h on the display. My only concern is I have a little over 1000 miles on the odo and would like to drive in gears other than 5th and 6th in the next 1000 miles or so.
Old 11-19-2001, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
thanks, pokerFACE, for the info. i knew it was there but didn't want to fiddle w/ it while going a 100mph switched it over to kmph and now i know how fast i'm going. seems like most people here go 120kmph on the 407 expressway.

it rained today and i got to try out the auto-rain sensor. its not too bad. just when i said, "when's the wipers going to kick in?" the wipers came on. both my old cars had a click when the actuators would activate, but the wipers on the mb are quiet.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:36 PM

Hey young I hope you enjoy yourself in our fine Ville. Is the Father In Law taking you to any strip joints? Just kidding! Where are you driving from "earth" is a pretty big place.

Take it easy,wrabs.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
my further adventures in toronto. today a police car (an impala!) w/ two cops pulled up next to me and totally checked out the car. he then smiles and while pointing forward said, "you want to race?" i smiled back but politely declined.

this was the second time a police car checked me out. the first time was on the 407. i was in the middle lane just cruising along when i noticed a police car on my left rear. he pulled up next to me and gave me a thumbs up before taking off.

wrabs, were you asking where i am from? right now, i live outside philadelphia, but i'm originally from LA (ok, the valley) and hope to move back sometime soon (preferrably near Laguna Niguel where everyone seems to be getting the royal treatment from the MB dealer there! ) i've also lived in ohio (don't ask).

it looks like the coupe starts at around CAN$33.5K here. w/ .62 rate + 15% tax, its still a good deal.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A cop asked to race you??? That can't be right..

Originally posted by young
my further adventures in toronto. today a police car (an impala!) w/ two cops pulled up next to me and totally checked out the car. he then smiles and while pointing forward said, "you want to race?" i smiled back but politely declined.

this was the second time a police car checked me out. the first time was on the 407. i was in the middle lane just cruising along when i noticed a police car on my left rear. he pulled up next to me and gave me a thumbs up before taking off.

wrabs, were you asking where i am from? right now, i live outside philadelphia, but i'm originally from LA (ok, the valley) and hope to move back sometime soon (preferrably near Laguna Niguel where everyone seems to be getting the royal treatment from the MB dealer there! ) i've also lived in ohio (don't ask).

it looks like the coupe starts at around CAN$33.5K here. w/ .62 rate + 15% tax, its still a good deal.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:26 AM

Hey young it sounds like you had a good trip. C coupes are still pretty rare in T.O. AHH Philly, home to those great steak sandwiches. BTW take the 407 as much as you can.Being out of Province/State they do not charge you,I like to see that because we get shafted with the rates for that dammed toll highway.

wrabs.