C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

facelift w204 c350; 300+hp, 7200rpm redline, anyone know the changes made?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
Matt-
I resign to the fact that some of my posts have been a little backwards with the conclusion first, questions later, but I was still requesting feedback nonetheless. & thank you for the compliment, if stalking is a form of flattery to you, then by now you could be red in the face.

MWATL-
Tinkering is my hobby. Can't help it. Glad someone knows where I'm coming from here.

Eric-
I may have resorted to using a few non-obscene opinion based descriptive words; you however, have resorted to ridicule and bullying. What's your point? As for the rest, whatever you think man. More power to you. I'm happy for you and your self proclaimed elitist status and attitude.

In conclusion, my choice to go w/ a 3.46 gear ratio may not be ideal for racing, particularly in a lower gear... however I spend 99.9% of time using the car as a DD. 99% of that time is spent in any other gear other than 1st. While I'm cruising down the highway or going 40 down a city street, my money is on seeing improved acceleration in those particular cruising gears. I'll report my findings in my thread for those who care.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by cpbeasley
Matt-
I resign to the fact that some of my posts have been a little backwards with the conclusion first, questions later, but I was still requesting feedback nonetheless.
But only feedback you wanted to hear.

MWATL-
Tinkering is my hobby. Can't help it. Glad someone knows where I'm coming from here.
Did you even read his whole post?

Eric-
I may have resorted to using a few non-obscene opinion based descriptive words; you however, have resorted to ridicule and bullying. What's your point? As for the rest, whatever you think man. More power to you. I'm happy for you and your self proclaimed elitist status and attitude.
Funny, how you admit to calling me names, yet I'm the bully here.

In conclusion, my choice to go w/ a 3.46 gear ratio may not be ideal for racing, particularly in a lower gear... however I spend 99.9% of time using the car as a DD. 99% of that time is spent in any other gear other than 1st. While I'm cruising down the highway or going 40 down a city street, my money is on seeing improved acceleration in those particular cruising gears. I'll report my findings in my thread for those who care.
Maybe I seemed elitist but maybe it was because I didn't want to waste my time with someone who wouldn't understand. The comment above completely proves my point. Even after someone took the time to break things down on a technical basis and go through the trouble to find a video that illustrates the point, you still somehow managed to miss it.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Oh & Matt - I know it isn't a Camaro (new, however, their list prices were nearly the same and the egnineering and technology that went into the LS1 was groundbreaking, simply... it's no piece of junk). I used the reference because of everyone's go to reponse of "shoulda bought a c55", used only bc of the assumption that I want to go fast fast fast all the time. And in comparing swapping gear ratios in a camaro vs a mercedes... still a ring gear and pinion in each, principles regarding why when and how are still all the same. That said, I know they're two different motors with different powerbands and different transmissions, and different tranny gearing... I just want to try to do this and see what happens. That's all.

And actually e10000000000000, I just noticed the activity in the completely separate thread that you're referring to. I have yet to watch the movie that was posted, but in the meantime, why don't you say, leave me alone? Yea, I described how I felt about you, but was never a bully. Thats where you came in.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
And actually e10000000000000, I just noticed the activity in the completely separate thread that you're referring to. I have yet to watch the movie that was posted, but in the meantime, why don't you say, leave me alone? Yea, I described how I felt about you, but was never a bully. Thats where you came in.
How about this is a public forum, and unless I'm breaking the TOS, I'm a member just like you. I get to voice and express myself just as you do. You probably missed this too but judging by my postcount, I'm probably not going anywhere.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
It is a public forum, but your attitude has me throwing my chips to Beasley. His request for you to back off is appropriate. Your "Niener-Niener" afterwards was not.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by mskembo
It is a public forum, but your attitude has me throwing my chips to Beasley. His request for you to back off is appropriate. Your "Niener-Niener" afterwards was not.
lol, throw him all the chips you want. Still not going anywhere.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
now, now, settle down.

to be honest, I'm not speaking as a mod here, but cpbeasley's questions, attitude and demeanor throughout the forum has been pretty annoying (like a know-it-all with an air of self-righteousness). I agree with Matt's assertions and with e1000. I have never seen e1000 get into it with anyone and I think it's quite warranted given how cpbeasley has presented himself.

but, I'm asking you guys as a mod now to please cool it. thanks.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by zerocover
That car was designed by an engineer making $60-90k/yr. That amounts to good pay for an automotive engineer but they are far from infallible. These guys aren't the shinning stars of the engineering world many on these forums make them out to be. They are better paid then other automotive engineers which average 61k/yr, but that ME/EE degree is much better put to use in any other field. The best follow the paycheck right to aerospace or open their own consulting firm.

Someone with a little more ability or just a different perspective can out engineer them. It is very much so possible just look at the high end tunning companies.
The W203 was designed by a single engineer? He must be the hardest working man in the industry.

THe W203 had huge development costs. They take it seriously, but no one implied they are without fault. Have you taken a gander at the cupholder? Hell, have you seen the pre-facelift cars at all? They CERTAINLY have their flaws. What I was saying is that tinkering in your garage is not likely to produce something better engineered than they did it, and even if you improve one thing it's likely at the loss of another. Appearance mods are personal preference, but re-engineering or creating a frankenstein product are another.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 C280 4Matic
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
The W203 was designed by a single engineer? He must be the hardest working man in the industry.

THe W203 had huge development costs. They take it seriously, but no one implied they are without fault. Have you taken a gander at the cupholder? Hell, have you seen the pre-facelift cars at all? They CERTAINLY have their flaws. What I was saying is that tinkering in your garage is not likely to produce something better engineered than they did it, and even if you improve one thing it's likely at the loss of another. Appearance mods are personal preference, but re-engineering or creating a frankenstein product are another.
We've all heard it cost over a billion dollars, understand that very little of that went to design. I should note that ford spend over $1 billion on the old 4.6l v8 engine family (only engine not any of the cars). Does that mean ford engineering is better then MB? Everything in engineering costs a fortune, and very little of that goes to the design team.

I have a first hand look at the engineering world. It wasn't designed by a single engineer but it was designed by a small team. The costs add up after the design process is done. The human factors team (who stand around saying that might not be safe) $, the technical writers (who make the manuals) $$, the project managers (who write the spec and make sure the designer is doing his job) $$, the test engineers $$, the independent labs (who verify that the product is safe) $$$$$$, certification for all the countries the car will be used in $$$$$$. The list goes on and on and on, and we're not even thinking about the tooling/automation and accompanying certification that goes into just being able to build a product, those machines need to be designed as well.

Its very easy to spend money in engineering, and cost skyrockets as the company size goes up.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by e1000
How about this is a public forum, and unless I'm breaking the TOS, I'm a member just like you. I get to voice and express myself just as you do. You probably missed this too but judging by my postcount, I'm probably not going anywhere.
It's just unfortunate that your "voice" has been tainted with a cynical, elitist, and callous overtone. Who am I to say though, my postcount is far too low to know any better.

Annoying and self-righteous? I'll take that over being cantankerous anyday.

Anyone else want to get their shots in? Apparently I've pissed into a number of bowls of Cheerios.

On that note, I'm cool dog. Back to the topic.

If anyone ever comes here seeking information rather than banter, I did call 1-800-for-merc today (AKA 1-800-pimp-my-benz), and did confirm that the E35 has a more aggressive cam profile and larger valves. Still a little vague, but it's something. I'll be doing some more research on the differences, particularly if any of the valvetrain has been structurally strengthened to accomodate the higher rev-limiter.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zerocover
We've all heard it cost over a billion dollars, understand that very little of that went to design. I should note that ford spend over $1 billion on the old 4.6l v8 engine family (only engine not any of the cars). Does that mean ford engineering is better then MB? Everything in engineering costs a fortune, and very little of that goes to the design team.

I have a first hand look at the engineering world. It wasn't designed by a single engineer but it was designed by a small team. The costs add up after the design process is done. The human factors team (who stand around saying that might not be safe) $, the technical writers (who make the manuals) $$, the project managers (who write the spec and make sure the designer is doing his job) $$, the test engineers $$, the independent labs (who verify that the product is safe) $$$$$$, certification for all the countries the car will be used in $$$$$$. The list goes on and on and on, and we're not even thinking about the tooling/automation and accompanying certification that goes into just being able to build a product, those machines need to be designed as well.

Its very easy to spend money in engineering, and cost skyrockets as the company size goes up.
Unfortunately the forum has not yet developed a draw-you-a-picture tool so I am unable to fabricate a map to lead you to the point. The point, again, is that garage tinkering is not likely to result in a superior overall product. The car is very, very well sorted from the factory.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Unfortunately the forum has not yet developed a draw-you-a-picture tool so I am unable to fabricate a map to lead you to the point. The point, again, is that garage tinkering is not likely to result in a superior overall product. The car is very, very well sorted from the factory.
Don't tunes unlock power and mpg's without any consequences?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In some instances, but not without risk - at least from what I gather. That's not exactly garage tinkering, though.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
It's just unfortunate that your "voice" has been tainted with a cynical, elitist, and callous overtone. Who am I to say though, my postcount is far too low to know any better.

Annoying and self-righteous? I'll take that over being cantankerous anyday.

Anyone else want to get their shots in? Apparently I've pissed into a number of bowls of Cheerios.
Maybe you should return to using the internet when you learn how to stop asking for people to spoon feed you information and grow a bit thicker skin.

On that note, I'm cool dog. Back to the topic.

If anyone ever comes here seeking information rather than banter, I did call 1-800-for-merc today (AKA 1-800-pimp-my-benz), and did confirm that the E35 has a more aggressive cam profile and larger valves. Still a little vague, but it's something. I'll be doing some more research on the differences, particularly if any of the valvetrain has been structurally strengthened to accomodate the higher rev-limiter.
Seems like my "vague" response on the first page of this thread was more comprehensive than what Benz was willing to give you. Congrats on actually picking up a phone and getting an answer all by yourself. Here's a lollipop, well, at least a picture of one, try not to ruin your dinner.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Banned

Your response was still subpar considering what I wanted to hear. At least they told me larger valves rather than "different head".

Spoon feed?
I was using the forum as a resource just like everyone else. I'm sorry that I've been asking questions off the beaten path. The differential question has still gone unanswered (here or via any MB tech Ive spoke to), so Im finding out for myself considering the diff is in my trunk. Still going to accuse me of not being resourceful enough?

Time for you to get ready for LC's party. Think Heidi will show?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

P.S. I generally choose to surround myself with people who aren't utterly conceited and my skin suits me just fine. This is of course easier to do in person, where people aren't hiding behind their computer screens when commenting.

Anytime you'd like to stop the attitude, I'm ready.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Your response was still subpar considering what I wanted to hear. At least they told me larger valves rather than "different head".

Spoon feed?
I was using the forum as a resource just like everyone else. I'm sorry that I've been asking questions off the beaten path. The differential question has still gone unanswered (here or via any MB tech Ive spoke to), so Im finding out for myself considering the diff is in my trunk. Still going to accuse me of not being resourceful enough?

Time for you to get ready for LC's party. Think Heidi will show?
W H A T????????????????

P.S. I generally choose to surround myself with people who aren't utterly conceited and my skin suits me just fine. This is of course easier to do in person, where people aren't hiding behind their computer screens when commenting.

Anytime you'd like to stop the attitude, I'm ready.
You're barking up the wrong tree here. Anyone here at MBW that's actually met me can tell you I'm the same person in real life as I am on this forum.

Just quit posting, take a break, you might just catch me while I'm not visiting the W203 forum next time.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned

I'd like that
Old 01-22-2011, 02:04 AM

2007 C280 4Matic
I did call 1-800-for-merc today (AKA 1-800-pimp-my-benz)
Wait this is real? I always thought it was a joke. Pimpin!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Banned

1-800-for-merc is the # you use to call for roadside assistance, CPO info, tele info, very very general and basic technical information (how to program your garage door opener)... there was one guy there that happened to know a little bit about the E35. Funny, they told me to ask the dealer... dealer told me to ask them. ultimately told me to use startekinfo.com and compare PNs and look at the schematics/diagrams
Old 01-22-2011, 04:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 C320 Sport
+1

This is just getting out of hand. Nobody has to go anywhere, but e1000, you clearly stated you did not want to explain things to someone who "wouldn't understand" so why are you still in his threads? For someone who has been here long enough and has so much knowledge, I'd expect you to be a more upstanding member. Belittling people accomplishes nothing and just makes yourself look bad. Cale, let it go. Do the mod, everything's always trial and error and that's how we learn. Quit the bickering.

Granted I'm just another newb, so what I have to say clearly doesn't matter, but this is just ridiculous. We all come here to learn and we each have our own ways of learning. Just let it go!

Last edited by ND2020; 01-22-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:47 AM

'13 F10 535i / '05 W211 E55
looks like beasley was unfortunate enough to catch another member on their .

but in all seriousness, it's just not worth with it especially on a forum where knowledge and insight are supposed to be exchanged, not insults.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
12 E350 4Matic Sport
Benz owners got some big *** egos. Get over it guys. Try to help each other instead of going back and forth on who's dick is bigger. I may have missed he point though so excuse me if I'm interrupting.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
We are all immature for our ages, isn't that why we spend time on this forum when we are supposed to be working? BTW, that's a great mullet, now I know why you are so popular You should hire Bob, he does good work on computers and plumbing!

I think I saw your shop today...
Hahahaha that's classic
Old 01-22-2011, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Eric is a cool guy and he has great knowledge. I've never seen him post wrong info so I think he knows what he is talking about. For the record I was using my STAR and my ADHD wouldn't let me stop and I ventured into Developer Mode. I started fooling around and messed up some settings and lost my ESP and my car threw all kinds of codes. I PMed Eric and he answered a couple of questions and I was on my way .

I can vouch for Eric being very knowledgeable and a very cool guy. I wish I can say the same about Phil. My feelings towards him changed when I caught him cheating on me. After I lost Patrick I needed to find another Pinoy and there was Phil. Now I'm trying to go for Rollnnn but he's playing hard to get. Soon...very sooon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: facelift w204 c350; 300+hp, 7200rpm redline, anyone know the changes made?