C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

To: 06-07 c230 6 Spd guys, my 3.46 diff fits YOU too

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
To: 06-07 c230 6 Spd guys, my 3.46 diff fits YOU too

After many late hours of research on EPC (hours that came too late for my impatient butt), it is clear to me that I can offer my sealed 3.46 rear end aka differential to any of the 06 or 07 c230 6 spd guys as an option for a greater amount of perceived torque (doesn't add torque but rear gears act as a multiplier, so you'll actually accelerate slightly faster through each gear than you did before). You guys have the 3.27 ratio from the factory.
I purchased the rear end from a benz/bmw used parts dealer. diff is in perfect working condition, and housing itself is in perfect condition, had 21k miles before donor vehicle was wrecked. came from an 05 c230k.

again i checked and rechecked using EPC. having a 6 spd, there will be no conflict with ESP, etc. There are 2 documented case of a c230 6 spd doing a swap to 3,,67 on this forum without any trouble, not even an ECU modification. that said, Karo found a way to alter the ratio using Star. I will point potential buyers to this info if I have not updated the thread with this info yet.

lowering your gear ratio by this amount will not be detrimental to your gas mileage. 3.27 to 3.46 is a relatively mild jump in ratio size. also a good mod for someone with higher mileage differential. peace of mind that youre getting a rear end with only 21k miles. external seals around where axle shafts will input are even in perfect condition.

this will require nothing more than literally swapping the differential. this can even be a DIY.

2 quarts of MB diff fluid included.

$375 shipped
Old 02-02-2011, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
you got PM
Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
hmmm this is an enticing offer. I might have to jump on this offer. You have some pics of the differential?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
lol, classic example of a mod gone terribly wrong. Hate to say it, but I was right. A lack of planning leads to cpbeasly here hocking his mistake to forum members.

Funniest part is he leaves off a couple of choice details. The one successful swap I did see also mentioned he lost cruise control functionality. I don't see how you can make that gas mileage statement either. Although minute, this change could affect fuel efficiency on long highway runs. Keep in mind that the M272 2.5L is less fuel efficient than the 3.5L in certain situations, ever wonder why?

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS ON A 7G EQUIPPED CAR Unless you absolutely, positively know what you're doing.

Although Karo did find the entry in Star, let's also keep in mind that it's limited in it's combinations of engine and ratio and there's yet to be any proof it actually makes any changes much less fix all the issues. That's IF the person who buys this thing can get his hands on a STAR machine with Developer mode.

Be careful guys, someone bought something a little pre-maturely and is trying to offload his mistake.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
If all you're really doing is trying to sell what you have, at least put that in the description. Or even better, put the thread in the classifieds. No need to get all infomercial-ly on us.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phister
hmmm this is an enticing offer. I might have to jump on this offer. You have some pics of the differential?
Phister, I'll PM you. If you'd like to chat over the phone about this, Id be happy to. e1000 has been crapping on my gear swap idea for quite some time now. He even tracked my thread down in the classifieds to crap on it there too. Obviously you have a 6 spd, so you're good.

As e1000 pointed out AGAIN for ME, NO wont work on a 7g car.

6SPEED ONLY.

Thanks Eric!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tommy
If all you're really doing is trying to sell what you have, at least put that in the description. Or even better, put the thread in the classifieds. No need to get all infomercial-ly on us.
Sorry for the thought that not everyone will know what exactly a different gear ratio is, especially considering how incredible e1000 thinks the gearing and low end torque is on the 2.5 m272 cars.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by e1000
lol, classic example of a mod gone terribly wrong. Hate to say it, but I was right. A lack of planning leads to cpbeasly here hocking his mistake to forum members.

Funniest part is he leaves off a couple of choice details. The one successful swap I did see also mentioned he lost cruise control functionality. I don't see how you can make that gas mileage statement either. Although minute, this change could affect fuel efficiency on long highway runs. Keep in mind that the M272 2.5L is less fuel efficient than the 3.5L in certain situations, ever wonder why?

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS ON A 7G EQUIPPED CAR Unless you absolutely, positively know what you're doing.

Although Karo did find the entry in Star, let's also keep in mind that it's limited in it's combinations of engine and ratio and there's yet to be any proof it actually makes any changes much less fix all the issues. That's IF the person who buys this thing can get his hands on a STAR machine with Developer mode.

Be careful guys, someone bought something a little pre-maturely and is trying to offload his mistake.
Hocking my mistake? I didn't realise I had the 210mm ring gear. Either did you, eh? I owned up to buying the wrong rear end. I still wish I could do the swap. This is why I moved up to the idea of using the 210mm 3.06 gears and Quaife LSD.
Please dont label this as hocking/unloading when thats not what this is.
example of e1000 having gone too far #1.

The guy said that he lost cruise control function AT TIMES. It was a little bit of nuisance, but not detrimental. Id still call this a successful swap. He also had made ZERO changes to the ECU. It's true, Im not sure if the Developer mode change fixes this potential MINOR problem. And in regards to finding someone with developer mode, ANY dealer can access it. They just must call MBUSA and get a passcode to get into it. I proposed what I needed done to my local dealer using dev mode, and they said no problem after we call and get access.
example of you having gone too far #2

i said there would be a slight change in gas mpg.
i also made it clear this was for a 6 speed only. made it very clear.
once again, gone too far. you're trying to elicit fear mongering in my thread... antagonizing me once again. this has once again been uncalled for. i was not being or going to be misrepresenting what it is i have for sale. you have made it sound like i was though.

stop following me thread to thread, sticking your finger into any of my business that you see fit.