C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How to SEARCH this and other MBWorld Forums

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Thumbs up How to SEARCH this and other MBWorld Forums

This is not to discourage conversation on the forum, but we get new threads all the time on subjects that have been covered ad-infinitum in the past. You can learn alot on almost every modding topic by doing a SEARCH, first. Using SEARCH sometimes saves you from friendly teasing from other members.

For those who don't know how to do a search, here are some simple directions...

1) Find the "SEARCH" button in the middle right row of the banner box on every forum page...
2) Click on this SEARCH button... Either enter a search word (three characters minimum) in the dropdown box, or...
3) Select the "Advanced Search Option"
4) In the Advanced Search menu screen, simply enter a keyword on the subject you want to find (Upper Left), or by member (Upper Right). You can enter strings of words linked together as with any Google search.
5) Select the FORUM you wish to search (Lower Right). Scroll down and you'll see the default selection will search the current forum, but you can select other forums as well, or multiple forums by pressing the Shift or CTRL keys as you select. However, the more closely you refine your search, the fewer posts on the subject you will have to read...
6) Press the Search Now button at the bottom, and your search will begin.
7) On the results screen, select the thread on the subject you've requested that interests you most. Navigate this screen and threads within it just like any other MBWorld forum. The Back button returns you to the search results screen so you can read more threads on the search subject.

As a Moderator here, you might call me biased. But honestly, I've used SEARCH functions at several other forums (car related and other) and have become frustrated at times with the poor performance offered. In contrast, the SEARCH function at MBWorld is quite robust (meaning it actually works most of the time). Other forums require you to enter a search timeframe, but you will see that here, the default is ANY time period, saving you a step or two.

Happy searching...
Old 05-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Re: How to SEARCH this and other MBWorld Forums

Originally posted by MB-BOB

7) On the results screed
MB-BOB will now teach you how to use the "EDIT" function, which is equally as robust.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Re: Re: How to SEARCH this and other MBWorld Forums

Originally posted by tommy
MB-BOB will now teach you how to use the "EDIT" function, which is equally as robust.
ZING!

--
i know i haven't updated these in a while, but some of the info may still be relevant:

c-class faq
c-class sportcoupe faq

Last edited by young; 05-23-2003 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Re: Re: How to SEARCH this and other MBWorld Forums

Originally posted by tommy
When you get to 3,000 posts, I'm going to nominate you for the special membership title, "Junior Editor."
Old 06-09-2003, 07:28 PM

If I search for c7 wheels, it tells me that the search term is too short.

An index would not have this problem.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive what I drive
dang thass a good point
Old 04-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by Robert Schrader

Like most forums, you have to enter at least 3 characters in the search string.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:25 PM

'05 C320 Sport Sedan, mars red, charcoal interior
u need to read this

it would be so much better if somehow u could tell if a thread had a picture included...please fix that!
Old 07-14-2004, 12:06 AM

Question

Originally Posted by Robert Schrader

Originally Posted by MB-BOB
Like most forums, you have to enter at least 3 characters in the search string.
Thanks, Bob, but that does not really answer the question, it merely restates the problem.

Another problem with searching is that I have to guess at the exact words that are needed. Say, for example, that I have a squeeky sunroof. So I try searching with "squeeky" and "sunroof". No luck. Then I try "lubricant" and "sunroof". Still no luck. I have to guess that "grease" and "sunroof" are right entries. And until I get it right, I have no idea if it isn't there, or if I haven't guessed the right words yet.
And it only works if the guy who wrote it could spell correctly.

In an index I would see something like:
97) Sunroof
a) adjusting
b) lubricating
c) removal

At a glance I can tell if what I want is available. No guessing, no 3-letters-or-more words, no spelling problems.

So, how about an index?
The following users liked this post:
Cynthia Cancino (12-08-2020)
Old 07-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I'll mention it to the admins, but I'm not aware that the functionality exists to mechanize an index. If a member has an interest in creating an index, that would be fine (some have attempted to do this in the past). But an index is not on my dance card. Sorry.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:12 AM

2005 C320 4matic + 2005 ML500
I found this search engine useful.
Car Fixit Search/
You can search all the different car forums in one shot.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:20 PM

05 C230K SS
why dont you guys make it so you can post until u read the rules thread and accept or something. this would cut down on all the new repeat threads
The following users liked this post:
Cynthia Cancino (12-08-2020)
Old 02-01-2008, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by MidnghtPressor
why dont you guys make it so you can post until u read the rules thread and accept or something. this would cut down on all the new repeat threads
They'd just scroll down to the bottom and hit accept without reading it.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 PM

05 C230K SS
yes but this way they will atleast be led to water. it doesnt have to be a diary. post very short one liners. if they still refuse to cooperate they have gone out of there way to resist.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
thanks for the info
Old 02-08-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
1997 E420
I'd like to offer up a site I just built to make it easier to find things on the various mercedes forums and sites hosted by MB enthusiasts/owners:

EverythingBenz.com

It might save you from having to search in many places for things, plus it will search places you might not have thought to look.

Hope you enjoy it.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:57 PM

06' C230SS
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy
I'd like to offer up a site I just built to make it easier to find things on the various mercedes forums and sites hosted by MB enthusiasts/owners:

EverythingBenz.com

It might save you from having to search in many places for things, plus it will search places you might not have thought to look.

Hope you enjoy it.
it's weird. and i think it should omit links to forums. but then again it is EVERYTHINGbenz not searchforaftermarketpartsandmodsforbenz.com so
Old 02-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
1997 E420
Originally Posted by 06c230hwd
it's weird. and i think it should omit links to forums. but then again it is EVERYTHINGbenz not searchforaftermarketpartsandmodsforbenz.com so
Well who knows where "everything" is going to take me... there is a lot more ground to cover which I know. My first objective was to let people search all the different forums -- PLUS the fantastic sites people have built -- because there is so much info contributed by so many but it's all over the place.

So searching forums was part of the intent. And my site only searches the posts themselves -- not the index pages or homepage, for example -- so you get to the meaty info fast.

If the community is enthusiastic, which so far has been incredibly true, I'm going to expand to cover more of "everything" benz. In the meantime, I figure that people here on the forums can direct you to "everything" so searching these resources kinda has it indirectly covered.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Almost a Member!

SL 500
this thread is a classic! good work explaining this for everyone... i was surprised how many people didnt know how to search
Old 02-19-2009, 12:59 PM

'05 C230K SS
What the heck has happened to the search function? Whenever I try to search lately, it just gives me any and all results based on ANY of the keywords I enter. For example, when I try to search "fog lights replace bulbs" I get back any and all threads that have "fog" "lights" "replace" OR "bulbs" anywhere in them. Even after doing an advanced search and sorting by "relevancy," the problem persists. I also noticed that where I used to get a box with the "match" percentage to the left of each thread in the list, that box is gone now.

Can we please get this fixed? Unless you're looking for one very specific keyword, searching has become almost impossible recently. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 AM

I agree with BenzBen. The search function has made finding relevant topics already discussed near impossible. It sucks. Bad.