wheel bearing - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

wheel bearing

Reply

 
 
Old 06-01-2011, 04:27 PM
  #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 c230k ss, 2005 Land Rover LR3, 2006 Honda S2000
wheel bearing

Anyone replace their wheel bearings themselves? Any special tools needed? Any advice?
e24kgold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
  #2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
phister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 5,054
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
definitely an impact gun to remove the lock nut holding the hub on. Think its like a 30mm socket for the nut.
phister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 PM
  #3
Senior Member
 
contact148's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 434
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2003 c240 4matic wagon
if its a 4matic you need a press if not your ok impact gun will help big time
contact148 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 PM
  #4
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 c230k ss, 2005 Land Rover LR3, 2006 Honda S2000
What do i torque the lugs back to? i do have a press if needed, but i don't 4matic
e24kgold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:17 AM
  #5
Super Moderator
 
samaritrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: McLean VA And RVA
Posts: 5,273
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
THE C350
Check your owners manual I think it is 120 Pounds
samaritrey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:29 AM
  #6
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Boom vang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,091
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 C230k 6MT; '75 Triumph TR6
if it is the front bearings DO NOT USE AN IMPACT GUN.

there is a lock screw on the clamping hub ~11Nm (96in lbs) the clamp nut is tighten by feel ensuring enough end float

The bearing outer races are drifted out and use the old races to drift in the new outer races

Wheel lugs are 80ft-lbs, (120ft lbs will strip the threads - not sure where you are getting your specs from)

It is not a hard job, took me about an hour start to finish for each side

Rear bearings need to be pressed in and not DIY task. Perhaps the bearings come with the hub as with many other cars and replaced as a unit. The rear hub nut is torqued to 162ft-lbs

@Contact148 if you looked at e24kgold sidebar it says that he has a 2005 230K SS and that does not come in 4matic
Boom vang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM
  #7
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 c230k ss, 2005 Land Rover LR3, 2006 Honda S2000
some conflicting info on the impact gun...

anyone have the actual instructions?
e24kgold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:54 PM
  #8
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Carsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 1 hours drive north of Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,714
Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by e24kgold View Post
some conflicting info on the impact gun...

anyone have the actual instructions?
You have not mentioned front or rear ?. Here are the front instructions from Haynes. I cannot find the torque settings ..slack b#stards!!
Attached Thumbnails wheel bearing-203-front-wheel-brg-1.jpg   wheel bearing-203-wheel-brg-2.jpg   wheel bearing-203-wheel-brg-3.jpg  
Carsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM
  #9
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 c230k ss, 2005 Land Rover LR3, 2006 Honda S2000
Originally Posted by Carsy View Post
You have not mentioned front or rear ?. Here are the front instructions from Haynes. I cannot find the torque settings ..slack b#stards!!

Thanks for the info!

Front bearings btw
e24kgold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 AM
  #10
Super Moderator
 
samaritrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: McLean VA And RVA
Posts: 5,273
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by Boom vang View Post
if it is the front bearings DO NOT USE AN IMPACT GUN.

there is a lock screw on the clamping hub ~11Nm (96in lbs) the clamp nut is tighten by feel ensuring enough end float

The bearing outer races are drifted out and use the old races to drift in the new outer races

Wheel lugs are 80ft-lbs, (120ft lbs will strip the threads - not sure where you are getting your specs from)

It is not a hard job, took me about an hour start to finish for each side

Rear bearings need to be pressed in and not DIY task. Perhaps the bearings come with the hub as with many other cars and replaced as a unit. The rear hub nut is torqued to 162ft-lbs

@Contact148 if you looked at e24kgold sidebar it says that he has a 2005 230K SS and that does not come in 4matic
according to my pdf owners manual we are both wrong
110ft.lb or 150Nm
I wonder if different models have different torque.

Edit
so just got the 05 owners manual it is 80ft.lb or 110Nm WTF
so i suggest everyone look at there certain cars owners manual and do what yours says to do.

Last edited by samaritrey; 06-03-2011 at 02:50 AM.
samaritrey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM
  #11
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Boom vang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,091
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 C230k 6MT; '75 Triumph TR6
Originally Posted by samaritrey View Post
according to my pdf owners manual we are both wrong
110ft.lb or 150Nm
I wonder if different models have different torque.

Edit
so just got the 05 owners manual it is 80ft.lb or 110Nm WTF
so i suggest everyone look at there certain cars owners manual and do what yours says to do.
I never come across a car that needs 110ft lbs+ for wheel lugs/bolts. The general range is 80-85ft lbs
Boom vang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:27 AM
  #12
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Boom vang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,091
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 C230k 6MT; '75 Triumph TR6
Originally Posted by Carsy View Post
You have not mentioned front or rear ?. Here are the front instructions from Haynes. I cannot find the torque settings ..slack b#stards!!
There are no torque settings for floating bearings, they are adjusted by end float. If there is a torque setting it tends to be fairly low to seat and then backed off by one flat for cars that use a castlated nut or punched nut. Our cars have a clamp nut that the locking mechanism is tightened once you have enough float either done by experience or a dial gauge


Pressed sealed bearings in a hub have a torque setting and that can range from 150ft lbs to 250 ft lbs depending on the car and manufacturer

Last edited by Boom vang; 06-03-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Boom vang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:20 PM
  #13
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Carsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 1 hours drive north of Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,714
Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Thanks Boom vang. The torque setting for the' Hub Nut clamp bolt ''is 11 Nn or 8 ft lb.

E 24 K GOLD .. How many miles has your car done to warrant changing the front wheel brgs. ?

I have not seen any servicing requirements ie repacking front wheel bearings on these cars. It may be a good idea to re pack every 60,000 km or so. My Peugeot service book states every 30,0000 km which I have done.

Last edited by Carsy; 06-03-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: extra info
Carsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:05 AM
  #14
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Boom vang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,091
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 C230k 6MT; '75 Triumph TR6
Originally Posted by Carsy View Post
Thanks Boom vang. The torque setting for the' Hub Nut clamp bolt ''is 11 Nn or 8 ft lb.

E 24 K GOLD .. How many miles has your car done to warrant changing the front wheel brgs. ?

I have not seen any servicing requirements ie repacking front wheel bearings on these cars. It may be a good idea to re pack every 60,000 km or so. My Peugeot service book states every 30,0000 km which I have done.
the torque setting is exactly what I posted many days ago for the clamp nut. I had to replace the drivers side of wheel bearings at 96,000km. May have hit a big pot hole
Boom vang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 PM
  #15
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 c230k ss, 2005 Land Rover LR3, 2006 Honda S2000
Decided to take my car to my indy. Turns out the bearings are fine but my POS Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 's are just ****ing noisy. I mean noisy enough to convince me I had a bad wheel bearing. Tread life has been great but this noise is killing me. DWS's on the way!
e24kgold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:56 PM
  #16
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
C230 Sport Coup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,968
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
C230 Sport Coup & W164 ML350
Originally Posted by e24kgold View Post
Decided to take my car to my indy. Turns out the bearings are fine but my POS Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 's are just ****ing noisy. I mean noisy enough to convince me I had a bad wheel bearing. Tread life has been great but this noise is killing me. DWS's on the way!
Ha, saw the thread and was gonna say it could be your tires, but now you already know.
Had the same problem with Federal Taiwan tires SS505 or something like that.
Man I thought the diff was about to blow or wheel bearings or the tranny.
Nope, just the 2 tires. Still have 'em in the garage.
C230 Sport Coup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:07 PM
  #17
Super Member
 
Dingleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 983
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marsaydees
If the sound changes when swerving from left to right, it's most likely a wheel bearing issue.
Dingleberry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:55 PM
  #18
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,843
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Or a Conti tyre issue. SC2 & SC3 both make a different & louder noise when partially worn & you change direction - and you can feel the slight vibration in the steering.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:40 PM
  #19
Senior Member
 
carbonfiberwhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Aventura, Fl
Posts: 267
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 C230, 2006 BMW M3, bye bye C55:(
Anything for the M272 replacement?
carbonfiberwhor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:32 AM
  #20
EOB
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C240
Been prepping for this job to do on 02 C240. Seems like the biggest hurtle are the races. What is best way and special tools recommended to change out the inner and outer races. Thanks
EOB is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
VividRacing
W212 AMG
12
07-04-2017 01:45 PM
TheVazha
Wheels and Tires
10
11-09-2015 01:20 PM
LuxuryAutoKSA
E-Class (W212)
3
09-19-2015 09:08 PM
NSWEuroCharged
W211 AMG
8
09-06-2015 02:39 AM
VividRacing
GLA45 AMG
0
09-02-2015 03:37 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: