C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

What is everyone's stance on non-amber turn signals?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
12 E350 4Matic Sport
What is everyone's stance on non-amber turn signals?

I know this (may have been) repeated numerous times here, but I'd like to hear your opinion again.

What is everyone's stance on non-amber turn-signal/blinker lights?

I would like to (at the very least) change out my rear amber blinkers for straight red blinkers, LED preferred.

My question is:

If I were to do this, and ended up getting rear-ended by someone, would I be liable even if it wasn't me who caused the accident?

Last edited by Crna Mechka; 06-11-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c230 kompressor
I did this on mine but I changed my rears to white LEDs. They are way brighter then the oems so I don't think you will have any problems with people rear ending you. I even put a vid up of it.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:33 PM

2006 c230
i believe w204 with p2 lighting package come with red turn signals, so i dont see why u would have a problem man post a vid of your red lights it sounds interesting
Old 06-11-2011, 01:01 PM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Unfortunately I haven't yet installed the red bulbs cause I've been sent a faulty product twice from the same retailer. Looking forward to sharing the details after all is said and done though so others wont have to go through the same experience as I am right now.

JP - can you PM me with a price for a set of those? I may be interested now after all.

Sick of dealing with these eBay stores and their BS.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C320 Sedan, '04 SAAB 9-3 Cabrio
Should not be a problem. Many cars use red turn signals. Amber is OK also. I do not think clear would be acceptable.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 PM

Nowhere ...Fast
make sure you keep ambers around though...i am not sure if you have a hook up but the reds might be questioned at inspection...they are trying to get everyone for every little thing!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
Chrome bulbs that blink amber FTMFW.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
for turn signals you're allowed to have red or amber color. I talked to my cop friend and thats what he told me.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
thats what I have have, makes the front some much cleaner IMHO. havent done the rears yet though, might do LEDs in the rear.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
Originally Posted by phister
thats what I have have, makes the front some much cleaner IMHO. havent done the rears yet though, might do LEDs in the rear.
You know it, especially on a white car it completely changes it. The amber really throws off the look.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:47 PM

2007 c230
Originally Posted by Crna Mechka
I know this (may have been) repeated numerous times here, but I'd like to hear your opinion again.

I would like to (at the very least) change out my rear amber blinkers for straight red blinkers, LED preferred.

My question is:

If I were to do this, and ended up getting rear-ended by someone, would I be liable even if it wasn't me who caused the accident?

why would you get rear ended? Your only talking about the signal bulbs right now the park/brake lights? I put Silverstars on my brake lights and they are definitely 20 percent brighter then stock! I'll post a comparison picture soon!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:08 PM

2005 C230K
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
Agreed, have done it with ALL my cars I've ever owned. Just did it to my new C230K a few weeks ago, front and rear. Looks much cleaner now.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:55 PM

2007 c230
Originally Posted by phister
for turn signals you're allowed to have red or amber color. I talked to my cop friend and thats what he told me.

what you may be stating is correct for your state. But each state sets there own guidelines for what colors are allowed and not allowed. Such as emergency vehicles in Vermont are blue and NY the color is red. So any red in the front is illegal in NY
Old 06-12-2011, 11:45 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual

As long as the taillights meet DOT and SAE specifications, I don't think there is a legal issue when changing amber rear turn signals to red ones.

I normally go the opposite direction. Multiple studies have shown amber rear turn signals to be more visible and safer than red ones. Since amber rear signals are required in most EU countries, I have replaced my DOT taillights with EU lights on several of my previous cars (that came equipped with red turn signals).

Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 AM

C240
I think I still prefer them being amber.. Changing them to other colours are kinda uhmm.. I dont know, I just dont like it.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 AM

My Ride
Originally Posted by Norwichdelta06
what you may be stating is correct for your state. But each state sets there own guidelines for what colors are allowed and not allowed.
Amber turn signals in the front and red or amber turn signals in the back are required by a federal rules so it applies to all states. Also, all turn signals were red in the rear of all cars until the 80's when foreign cars had amber turns in the rear. These days its a crap shoot on what color they are, red or amber.

Such as emergency vehicles in Vermont are blue and NY the color is red. So any red in the front is illegal in NY
This is correct, states and sometimes counties decide on emergency vehicle colors. In my part of NY blue is for volunteer fireman, red/white for police, fire trucks and ambulances, yellow for tow trucks and green or yellow for security vehicles. Using these colors in the wrong manner/way can get you a ticket.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
what you may be stating is correct for your state. But each state sets there own guidelines for what colors are allowed and not allowed. Such as emergency vehicles in Vermont are blue and NY the color is red. So any red in the front is illegal in NY
I believe things like exterior lighting is set at the federal level. Even if it CAN be a state mandated regulation, I believe the only state that really has done anthing with stricter than federal vehicle regulations is Californa regarding emmissions.

With that said, I personally think turn signals should be amber.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 AM

2007 c230
Originally Posted by alpinweiss

I normally go the opposite direction. Multiple studies have shown amber rear turn signals to be more visible and safer than red ones. Since amber rear signals are required in most EU countries, I have replaced my DOT taillights with EU lights on several of my previous cars (that came equipped with red turn signals).

very true! that's why true FOG lights are yellow and light post are yellow as well on the highways
Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 AM

My Ride
very true! that's why true FOG lights are yellow and light post are yellow as well on the highways
Actually road side reflector post are amber, the caution color to warn you.
And fog lights needing to be amber is a myth. At one time there was a general concensus that amber light refracted less light back at your eyes and was thought to "cut through" the fog better. This turned out to not be all that accurate. This source explains it best... - CLICKITY-CLICK HERE -
Old 06-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Nowhere ...Fast
funny but my stealth amber bulb burned out this past weekend...and the steal amber doesnt match up to amber amber...so blue turn signal bulbs are back on...for now
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM

2005 C230K
Yea I agree with the idea that they should be amber. I like the amber color, and like someone else said, changing it to blue or something unconventional just doesn't look good IMO, I guess because I've subconsciously gotten used to seeing amber signals and marker lights. Thats why I ended up doing amber city lights

Originally Posted by eesjunin
funny but my stealth amber bulb burned out this past weekend...and the steal amber doesnt match up to amber amber...so blue turn signal bulbs are back on...for now
I agree, the only downside with stealth bulbs is that the silverish amber color produced by the chrome-infused glass doesn't looks somewhat like a faded lighter amber and isn't as bright, but I figure since they're only on for a few seconds when the turn signal is flashing, it doesn't matter too much anyway.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I just don't get the red turn signal thing. I find it distracting and unneccessarily confusing.

And agree about the stealth front turnsignal bulbs; it really improves the appearance of the front of the car.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:36 PM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Well, I received my replacement bulbs, at the sellers expense, so that's good.

I love 'em and think they look great - and don't see why it's such a big mystery to most people...I just want to have all of my rear lights the same color. The thing about these chrome red bulbs is that they don't actually light up rich red like the brake lights, but more of a bright orangy-red color which IMO makes the rear end look fantastic and it really blends in well with the rest of the taillights at night-time.

I of course got the chrome front turn signals as well, total cost: $20.

Don't understand why people are paying like $29.99 for "Stealth Bulbs" when you can get it for 1/6th of that price elsewhere.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:01 PM

2005 C230K
Well, I received my replacement bulbs, at the sellers expense, so that's good.

I love 'em and think they look great - and don't see why it's such a big mystery to most people...I just want to have all of my rear lights the same color. The thing about these chrome red bulbs is that they don't actually light up rich red like the brake lights, but more of a bright orangy-red color which IMO makes the rear end look fantastic and it really blends in well with the rest of the taillights at night-time.

I of course got the chrome front turn signals as well, total cost: $20.

Don't understand why people are paying like $29.99 for "Stealth Bulbs" when you can get it for 1/6th of that price elsewhere.
I think I paid about 5 bucks for each pair of my 'stealth bulbs'. 2 pairs = $10 total.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:12 PM

Nowhere ...Fast
I was going to say the same...I think I picked mine off ebay couldn't have been more that$ 10 shipped

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is everyone's stance on non-amber turn signals?