C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Speed shots

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Banned

C240 02
matt, in advance, i apologize, i will not be able to attend your funeral as u seem to have a short life ahead of u. Good luck to u
Old 06-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Banned

C240 02
Also by the way, u wanna live a short life and kill your self for the sake of not getting bored in life do so at your own expense, but the second that u involve someone else in your death u become a murderer, think about how much boring is good now will u?
Old 06-03-2003, 07:46 PM

C230 K
Originally posted by BenzC240
Also by the way, u wanna live a short life and kill your self for the sake of not getting bored in life do so at your own expense, but the second that u involve someone else in your death u become a murderer, think about how much boring is good now will u?
cut it out guys. You're ruining the thread. Stop being babies.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Banned

C240 02
Thanks for the advise nevide but this is a serious issuse when someone starts speeding in extreem excess of the speed limit and puts other peoples lives in danger for the simple thing of no bordem. It needs to be addressed
Old 06-03-2003, 10:52 PM
Jens C320

Thanks for the advise nevide but this is a serious issuse when someone starts speeding in extreem excess of the speed limit and puts other peoples lives in danger for the simple thing of no bordem. It needs to be addressed
So just a question for you; are Germans still mass murderes? Think about it, a large part of the population speeds excessivly...same with Italians, Spanish, French, etc...oh wait, that is in Europe so it must be ok, right
Old 06-04-2003, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Don't get me involved in this. I never said anything about me speeding. I just said that I would rather die early doing something I liked instead of being bored all the time. What's the point in living anyway if I can't do anything fun?

I go fast every once in a while on open roads. And I ride a motorcycle. These are chances that I take to enjoy life. There is always a chance I could die every time I get on my bike. But does that stop me? Hell no. It's fun and enjoyable and even if I crash, I probably won't hurt anyone else.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:13 AM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Cool Speeding? Whatever that means

So just a question for you; are Germans still mass murderes? Think about it, a large part of the population speeds excessivly...same with Italians, Spanish, French, etc...oh wait, that is in Europe so it must be ok, right
__________________________________________________ __

Don't know where you live but here in So. California if your driving less than 80 MPH you had best stay in the right lane. Some places like the road to Las Vegas you can raise that number to 85 MPH. Anything less and you will be passed by everything including just about every SUV.

Last week my wife and I were returning to LA from Laughlin, NV. At one point I was crusing at 95 for several miles with traffic and I only passed one car (a Sebring going around 90). So when you talk about speeding I think you need to clarify what that means to you.

Old 06-04-2003, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Re: Speeding? Whatever that means

Originally posted by GTIDAN
Don't know where you live but here in So. California if your driving less than 80 MPH you had best stay in the right lane. Some places like the road to Las Vegas you can raise that number to 85 MPH. Anything less and you will be passed by everything including just about every SUV.
I wish it was that way in Ohio. I'm lucky to get a clear enough lane to go 75-80.

And if everyone's going 95, it's not that dangerous. Speed is not what is dangerous. It's speed differential. If you're going 95 and another guy is going 65, and he tries to get in your lane, then you got a problem. But if he doing 90, then it's not so bad.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:39 AM

C230 K
yes and I've already mentioned it a couple of times that I did it in a quiet open road in south dakota that if you stand still for 30 minutes, you'll have nobody pass you instead of prairie dogs and some rattle snakes. Besides, going 90 is nothing new in places in europe that have even worse road and smaller road than the US. US's problem is not about speeding, it about overcrowding the streets with those huge huge open trailers and those polluting SUVs when they can use a wagon for the same space and the snobby behaviour that people have it their RACE cars. In some countries, trailers are only allowed to move after the sun sets.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Banned

C240 02
People, there are statistics in the US about high speed and death. I did not create them. As for europe I have no statistic. Also to clarify when i say speeding im not talking about 5-10 miles over the speed limit. Im talking like 30 and above. It can be dangerous and u can lose control of the car for so many reasons. U want to take the risk go for it. But rememeber, u hurt any one else besides your self and, well u guys figure out.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
thanks for the insight DAD.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People, there are statistics in the US about high speed and death. I did not create them. As for europe I have no statistic. Also to clarify when i say speeding im not talking about 5-10 miles over the speed limit. Im talking like 30 and above. It can be dangerous and u can lose control of the car for so many reasons. U want to take the risk go for it. But rememeber, u hurt any one else besides your self and, well u guys figure out.
A.) You can make statistics say anything you want them to. Limit or skew the sample sets in the right way and you can create numbers that show that the American public would vote Adolf Hitler into office. Statistics are utter BS without knowing how they are derived.

B.) Speed does NOT kill, speed differentials and lack of attentiveness do. If anything, a lower speed limit will cause MORE accidents through traffic congestion and driver inattentiveness. Want to know what kills? Incompetent drivers. The 85 year old man who no longer has the reflexes to cope with today's driving situation that drives 35MPH in the left hand lane on the freeway during rush hour. Drunk driving kills. Undertrained sixteen year old drivers who have little or no practical experience can kill. Driving recklessly (abrupt lane changes and aggressive driving) kills. Again, speed DOES NOT KILL in and of itself. If the speed limit were set at 90 MPH and I drove 100-105 I would not be appreciably less safe than at 70. I will have slightly less reaction time, I will be placing a bit more stress on my car, that is all.

Make no mistake, the lower speedlimits we have in place now are a pathetic money-grab. It's nothing to do with safety. When Texas raised their statewide speed limit from 55MPH to 70, traffic fatalities WENT DOWN. That's no BS statistic either, that's overall fatalities. Why is it that we have towns in Texas that employ more police officers than there are RESIDENTS? Speed and speed limits are all about revenue. Ask those in the UK dealing with the plague of Gatso and SPECS cameras that are now around every bend. Think those are about safety?

Last edited by kaneman; 06-04-2003 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Banned

C240 02
CarlssonCRS -- no problem son

kaneman
i never said speeding was the only source of death. Ofcourse there are other factors as u had discussed. But speed limits are not that bad to have and yes they do help. For one at high speeds you can lose control, harder to control your car in a timely manner should something happen. Also should they raise the speed limit u will have more young kids thinking its ok to drive faster and it just goes on and on. So there are points both ways but for a safety point of view lower speed limits can help you stay in control more. My opinion, im glad we have them
Old 06-05-2003, 04:52 PM

Kaneman has a point. Speed difference is the important factor here. If I am driving at 150mph next to a car that is only doing 70mph, then I need to make sure that the other driver can see me coming and not make a stupid move. Unfortunately not in US. People do not even expect to see these speeds.

To my standards 150 mph's is where the fun starts. Unless you have riden a fast sport bike you might not be able to understand what I mean. Everyday I do 130 mph (sorry the car is electronically limited) back and forth work and home on a major highway. The only thing I am scared of is to meet a cop along the way...

Old 06-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Banned

C240 02
no he does not have a point. why put the burden on someone else just because u want to break the law, speed, have fun, die young and happy, etc... the burden ofcourse is on the driver to look out for cars all over but someone going so fast may not give someone else enough time to react.

people, just drive safe, keep your fast and the furious thrills for the track
Old 06-12-2003, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
on my way up!
Attached Thumbnails Speed shots-356m0171.jpg  
Old 06-12-2003, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
tried to get to 140.... but too many people on the little 2 lane highway.......... will try again tomorrow when i go for my long drive again!

blurry pic..... hard to take pics and drive at the same time.....it would probably take a good 15 seconds of flooring it to get from 125 to 140.
Attached Thumbnails Speed shots-356m0173.jpg  

Last edited by CarlssonCRS; 06-12-2003 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:43 AM

C230 K
phew. Careful man. Better take somebody to snap those shots. Feels good going top speed ain't it?
Old 06-12-2003, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by kaneman
If anything, a lower speed limit will cause MORE accidents through traffic congestion and driver inattentiveness.
I read your thing about Texas going from 55-70. It was interesting.

Didn't the fatalities drop after the speed limit in the U.S. was first dropped to 55 (to save fuel)? Also, would the improved safety mechanisms in cars have helped improve the fatality statistics in Texas?

Our Benz has only been up to about 105 once or twice. My favorite place to do this is onramps when there aren't cars ahead. It feels really nice and smooth, wish we could drive at that speed all the time.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jpb5151
I read your thing about Texas going from 55-70. It was interesting.

Didn't the fatalities drop after the speed limit in the U.S. was first dropped to 55 (to save fuel)? Also, would the improved safety mechanisms in cars have helped improve the fatality statistics in Texas?
The answer to the first question is yes and no. Fatality rates had been falling before and continued to fall after the "emergency" introduction of the national 55 mph speed limit. As you suggest with your second question, this was the direct result of improvements in vehicles and roads.

The implememtation of the 55 mph limit coincided with the tripling and more of gasoline prices. The increased cost of driving caused a temperary reduction in the miles driven. The reduction in miles driven resulted in fewer fatalities. This is one of the ways that the Feds and Naderites deceived the public, because the fatality rate (fatalities per 100,000 miles driven) on highways did NOT change. Another deception was when they included the reduction of fatalities on urban roads including vehicle/pedestrian and vehicle/bicycle fatalities in their claims of the 55 mph speed limit saving lives.

Many states besides Texas had reduced fatality rates on highways after increasing speed limits from 55 to 70 or 75. As post earlier, 55 is too slow on most major highways and causes inattention and dowsiness.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can hit my rev limiter in 5th gear. That's cool...

Highest I've hit was 133 in my coupe.

Nev, being on a open road and it being straight and pretty straight....

Next time, do this on a road you know. Small rolling bumps would come up quick and could kill you.

No girlfriends next time. You are endangering her life, albeit willingly. It just ins't right. Also, I feel safer on closed, single dirrectional lanes of traffic. If you went off the road at that speed, bye bye...

While I agree for the most part about the track, I think this has less to do the corny movie then a general insterest in seeing how fast the cars can go. A track would be safer of course and save you some tickets.

I got a Wreckless driving for doing 97.5 in 40. He actually tagged me going around a turn signed at 35 mph, I had slowed from the rev limiter to take the turn...
Old 06-12-2003, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Lynn
This is one of the ways that the Feds and Naderites deceived the public, because the fatality rate (fatalities per 100,000 miles driven) on highways did NOT change. Another deception was when they included the reduction of fatalities on urban roads including vehicle/pedestrian and vehicle/bicycle fatalities in their claims of the 55 mph speed limit saving lives.
Thanks, this is even more interesting. I had just assumed that all of that was normalized.

I thoroughly enjoy driving in Michigan, where traffic slides along at about 80. People seem to keep their distance better than Ohio drivers, and most slowpokes stay out of the passing lane.

It's not so good when certain geniuses stay -- STAY -- in the passing lane going about 65, knowing full well that they're holding everyone else up (had one of those on the last trip). One idiot inconveniencing over a dozen other people just isn't right.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Jens C320

Originally posted by jpb5151
Thanks, this is even more interesting. I had just assumed that all of that was normalized.

I thoroughly enjoy driving in Michigan, where traffic slides along at about 80. People seem to keep their distance better than Ohio drivers, and most slowpokes stay out of the passing lane.

It's not so good when certain geniuses stay -- STAY -- in the passing lane going about 65, knowing full well that they're holding everyone else up (had one of those on the last trip). One idiot inconveniencing over a dozen other people just isn't right.
It is even better when you then proceed to pass one of these people in the right lane once there is room to do so and they do one of three things:
1. Give you the finger
2. Honk their horn or flash their lights at you
3. Speed up and try to block you from passing them (...if they had enough engine to do it...)

I've noticed all three reactions, even though I did nothing to personally upset that person, I didn't tailgate them, fly right behind them with 100+mph. I guess it goes along the same lines as truckers flashing their lights when there are no cops around, only because they are upset that you are driving faster than them! I wish people would understand that they do not need to police everyone else around them, I am sure they would be upset if someone even slower than them would be in the left lane.

Just yesterday I had one of those experiences, I was going about 90-95mph on I-25 in Colorado and there where about 5 cars within the about 5 miles I could see ahead of me. 3 of the 5 cars where in the left lane (not passing anyone) doing close to the speed limit and only 2 in the right lane. I passed two of the three cars on the right lane (which I hate doing since it was drilled into me that one does not pass on the right) then the third car I didn't want to pass on the right since there was a truck coming up, there would have been enough room for me to pass on the right, but there also would have been enough room for the other car to move to the right lane and let me go by...but no, they stayed in the left lane, passed the truck and stayed in the left lane even though there was nobody else to pass. I was somewhat upset and figured they might get the message to move if I flashed my lights, well all that did was cause them to slow down to 5 under the speed limit and still not move. So I turn on my blinker to go in the right lane and pass them, as I start moving into the right lane the guy swervs into the right lane trying to cut me off...I slow down and proceed to go into the left lane to pass this idiot, oh no, he has to swerve back into the left lane and cut me off...My exit was coming up in a few miles so I stayed behing him in the right lane going about 70 in a 75mph zone. Of course I couldn't resist and called the Colorado State Police road-rage hotline on him