C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C240 Sounded Like a 240D - LONG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 Wagon
C240 Sounded Like a 240D - LONG

I've been a chronic lurker here for a couple of years reaping the benefit of the collective wisdom of some of the key contributors. I want to give back if I can by posting up a recent problem and fix that, though I searched thoroughly, couldn't find addressed.
My wife reported to me that her 03 C240 Wagon with 110K miles was making a consistent and loud rattling sound regardless of driving condition. (Think goofy commercial by Aamco where the people make annoying noises and you'll be close.) When I got a chance to listen to it I almost passed out. It sounded like someone had swapped a 240D motor into my W203 chassis. I wish that I'd recorded it so that you could all commiserate with me for the money-pit that formed in my stomach. That metal on metal sound, in my experience, meant that a severe bearing failure or worse (is there worse?) was going to separate me from either my retirement fund or the car. I searched this forum frantically but couldn't find an answer.
As I mulled over the possibility of re-badging her as a diesel and trading at Carmax (kidding) I got out the jackstands and slid underneath. After dropping the bottom covers I found some coolant that had leaked or weeped. Having wrenched on many non-MB cars in the past and seeing no hose issues, I deduced that I had a water pump issue at least. Could that be the source of the "sound-heard-'round-my-savings-account?" Cutting to the chase, yes.
I replaced the original WP with a GMB unit by following the instructions I found on this forum and the noise was gone. If you find yourself disposed to follow this great tutorial by hollik https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...mp-change.html, make sure you heed his suggestion to make a ghost template from cardboard and put each bolt in it's assigned hole.
Since then (three months ago) I've done the PVC chambers, valve cover gaskets and cigar lighter replacement fixes using the awesome resources so freely given here. This weekend, I'll be doing the "one-man transmission flush" described by C230 Sport Coup.https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...n-related.html The money I saved on Shell 134 ATF that I bought on a lead here https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...id-choice.html saved me enough money over dealer ATF to buy a new torque wrench - Nm scale of course.
All told, I'd say this site has saved me at least $1,000 while giving me the confidence and real world information to take on the gremlins that crop up in our very expensive to service vehicles. My wife has taken to calling me "Hans." I wonder what that's about?
Sorry for the long winded post but I just had to say thanks and offer some words of encouragement to other lurkers like me.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML350
Great/comical narrative. Definitely some great info and contributions on here. I know i have benefited from several DIY write-ups.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Pleased you are happy.

Why do people lurk & not join the board? I'm interested. We would like to boost membership.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 Wagon
Glyn,
I can only speak for myself. I first landed here after Google searching an issue I was having with my C240. I dipped in, found what I needed and went off to attend to the other things vying for my attention. Then, I came here again for another tip or two and pretty soon it became less of a reference destination and more of a habit.
Only recently did it strike me that the community at MBWorld with its vast breadth of experience, was contributing so strongly to my success in understanding my car. I realize that this may not be the answer you're looking for in terms of "what makes people join" and as I said up front, it's just my own pov.
Something just clicked after I did the water pump job and then took on more of the things that I found chronicled in the forum. I'm not a joiner by nature and it takes a considerable amount of intrinsic value to motivate me to sign up for anything online. MBWorld clearly had the mass to pull me in.
Who knows why certain things tweak us when others barely rate a notice? I suppose the folks devoted to marketing to us would give a limb to solve that particular riddle. My own observation is that there is a unique balance of expertise and tolerance here that allows people to inquire without fearing the flames that come with "noobness" on other boards. While I will never become an elite poster I do intend on supporting the site and helping out when I get the chance.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Thank you for your candour. We are working on a Wiki that I hope will be of interest.