C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C200 CDI Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C200 cdi
C200 CDI Help

Hello guys, MB World has been very useful to me in the past but now my C200 cdi is hissing with pulsing acceleration and engine light on along with the heater plug light on as well some times. Not very happy as only 3 months ago had to get a new ECU and hope I don't have another big bill. Please help.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
You may receive more advice from the MB World diesel forum.

If a glow plug is out starting becomes more difficult with rough running until the combustion chamber warms up. It then should run normally.

Where is the hissing coming from ?There is an air vacuum pump supplying the brake booster. You may have a hose adrift.

You should use an OBD 2 scanner to see what fault codes the engine is issuing. This may help to pinpoint the problem.

You team did a good job on the Wallabies on the weekend ! ! Ireland played superbly.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Check the vacuum pump. Read codes & post. You might have an injector playing up.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:15 AM

2004 C200 cdi
Thanks Carsy,
Injector seats done 6 months ago, glow plugs replaced then as well, serviced on the button and oil is spraying out (looks like engine oil but not realy sure) from behind the rhs (passenger side) headlight as you look under the bonnet, when parked and engine on with wifey reving engine i can't locate fault, power washed engine bay and still no joy, so i need to get the obd 2 scanner thing, i'll have a search for that now.
Where does that plug in?
Yea great win you guys not on form as our lads have not had a good run up to now?

Thanks you Glyn,
Where is the vacuum pump?
When I get the scanner I will post the codes
Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GC ,
The scanner should plug in under the base of the steering wheel .
It could be a crankcase vent or vacuum hose or pipe adrift/ruptured. Try to take a good look with a strong torch from above & underneath. You may have to remove the engine under cover.

On my 2007 2.2L 220CDI the vacuum pump is at the front/top of the tappet cover . Try to trace the pipe back to the brake booster to see if it is leaking.

We play the USA next weekend & if they beat us I am giving up !!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 AM

2004 C200 cdi
Thanks Carsy,
Will this do as a scanner

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM-327-CA...ht_6774wt_1165

I had asked seller if this will work on my car, gave him the vin code.

I think your safe enough with USA, Canada were very good against France though, there's probably a bit of Irish in you somewhere though!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

You should really get a stand alone scanner that tells you what the codes mean & keep it in the glove box. You don't want to have to drag a laptop around with you. Then if you get a CEL while travelling you can check to see if it is serious or not.

Examples cheap & more expensive:

Old 09-18-2011, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

+1 regarding Scanner.

I just took a look under my bonnet & noticed that the only piping on the passenger side front engine bay were air conditioning hoses & pipes. They can emit an oil mist & no doubt make a hissing noise if a leak is present when the compressor is running.

How is your radiator level ?

There's a little more Irish than I usually let on !! Mothers side was from Coleraine !

Last edited by Carsy; 09-18-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 PM

2004 C200 cdi
Thanks Lads,

It looks like the particle filter in the exhaust is blocked (AGAIN) but the warranty is up as Merc replaced it 03/03/09 and the two years are up, but waiting for them to call me back to see if they can do anything for me.
It was after this that I discovered MB World and read about Merc ripping people off as usually only the sensor went down.
A friend gave me a blue tooth obd reader and I down loaded the Torque App to my phone all this stuff worked on his two cars but when i plugged into my car it would not work saying it could not connect so i will get one of the readers above.
The garage that normally service the car deleted the codes before i could write them down, my fault not theirs but when I was there he reved up the car and showed me the 'smoke' coming up from behind the engine and said all the faults come back to the particulate filter being blocked.

Should this thing keep blocking?

He said he can remove the filter and power wash it, clean the sensor and it should be OK, does this work in your opinion?

The oil leak behind the head light is a pin hole in a power steering pipe, black plastic coated metal wavy pipe that runs beside the light and in front of the radiator so will replace that.

Coleraine, lovely part of the country but a bit wet and windy, your Mother had the right idea leaving Ireland with the crap that's going on here now with business etc!
My Brother is in Sydney some where!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GC,

I have had no experience with particulate filters as our car thankfully is not fitted with one.

I understood that there was a before & after pressure sensors which measured the differential across the particulate filter . When the differential rose to a set point the particulate filter would be regenerated by the engine running rich ,coating the internals of the filter & burning the carbon off.

I wonder whether your car is fitted with this feature & if it is working ?

I do not know whether power washing will fix the blockage . If the soot is removed it may be a temperary solution.

A permanent fix would be to remove the PF altogether . It would depend on your pollution laws & the likelyhood of being fined.The sensors would have to be to be fooled into thinking the particulate filter is still there & clean.

I would be interested on how you go.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

If you keep clogging your particulate filter it is likely a fuel problem. You must use low sulphur euro diesel on cars with Cat & particulate filter.

Also make sure that the engine is not overfueling.

So she is actually hissing & wheezing through the exhaust. I wondered about that.