C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

w203 m111 engine misfire and stall when hot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 w203 c180 2.0

Hi everyone, me again.
had to call out a recovery last night as my car packed in again, so need some help from you guys,

so the cars been running absolutely fine for around 4 months since i replaced the top breather hose and cleaned the butterfly in the throttle body,

however yesterday we made a trip to ikea in leeds, ( i live in sheffield ) so not really a long journey, the car was fine on the M1 on the way and back too, as soon as i pulled off the sliproad near home and started driving at slow speed the car started to hesitate massively so i tried more revs,
the car just cut out,

i tried to start it up again and with a struggle it did, problem was it was only running on 2 cylinders, and trying to cut out, it was as though there was no fuel in it, but i still had over 20 litres in, after leaving it for 5 minutes, the car started and ran fine, as soon as i set off it died once again.

so same again, i waited 5 minutes again and fired it up, without putting the car under pulling load i put my foot to the floor and let it rev to the 4000 limiter, keeping my foot there the car ran fine, no misfire or signs of stalling, this lasted for around 40 seconds until the revs just dropped on their own as though id taken my foot off,
the car shook violently and cut out, i instantly fired it up and it was running on 2 cylinders again and was trying to cut out again,

there was a really strong smell of unburnt fuel and oil. then came on the engine management light,
luckily i had my code reader handy in the glove box and plugged it in,
it read misfire on cylinder 1, (thats all it picked up )
i erased this and tried to start the car again.

it just kept basically repeating itself, if i left it it would start fine and get worse, if i started it straight away after cutting out it was only on 2 cylinders,

having no tools on me i couldnt really check much, im hoping that this morning ill be able to start it fine and see how long it runs before acting up again,

the only think i managed to check was that the fuel pump was working, as the fuel rail always had high pressure even when missing.

other than that im stuck, im going to check the coilpacks later (dont know why because it seems to be a temp related issue)

i was thinking cam sensor, throttle position sensor or collapsed cat,

can anyone help?? im really stuck on this one.

many thanks Tom
Old 10-01-2011, 03:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 c230 kompressor 2003 s500 94 wrangler
id take it to the dealership for the cam recall if u havent yet...

could be head is losing compression
Old 10-01-2011, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 w203 c180 2.0
i didnt realise there was a cam recall,
ill contact them straight away
Old 10-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
If it is only happening when hot I suspect the CPS (crankshaft position sensor or TDC sensor)

Next time it happens pour water on the sensor to cool it & see if that changes things. Standard procedure for Roadside Assistance.