C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

rode in the older c-class today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
rode in the older c-class today

my impressions, well, it is older... felt older. current interior seems comparable/better than the older interior - everything. teeny little glove compartment, single wiper. cup holder is still overengineered.

but the most interesting thing i noticed was the hood ornament - like a targeting sight distracting to me but, i guess, if you're used to it, it is normal.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I've never been in an older C Class. Does the hood ornament look different than on the current sedan?

When I was looking at some used cars, I came across an older C230. I did like the instrument cluster a little better than the current one (from just looking in the window). I guess I just favor the round speedometer and tach better. Now that I've had the 02 for awhile, the new design is starting to grow on me.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by revstriker
I've never been in an older C Class. Does the hood ornament look different than on the current sedan?
I think Young has a coupe, so no stand-up ornament. I think the M-B hood ornament has been the same for at least 20 years.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by MarkL

I think Young has a coupe, so no stand-up ornament. I think the M-B hood ornament has been the same for at least 20 years.
Thanks MarkL. I was just wondering if the view of the ornament from inside was different. On my old 76 MB, you could easily see the entire ornament, and where it attached to the front grill. On my current car, you can see the ornament, but the front slopes, so you can't really see where it meets the hood (at least, I can't from my sitting position). I wasn't sure if the hood on the older C was similarly sloped, or if it was more like my old MB (although I know that the ornament attaches to the hood, and not to the grill).
Old 02-18-2002, 03:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by young
oh yeah, i meant that since i have a coupé, and it has a flat badge, the stand-up hood ornament on the sedans really stood out to me (no pun intended ).

it is my boss' current car and he had an older S-class before, and the hood ornament was HUGE! well, it seemed even bigger.
Thanks Young. It does take some getting used to, but I kind of like the look of it.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)

Thanks MarkL. I was just wondering if the view of the ornament from inside was different. On my old 76 MB, you could easily see the entire ornament, and where it attached to the front grill. On my current car, you can see the ornament, but the front slopes, so you can't really see where it meets the hood (at least, I can't from my sitting position). I wasn't sure if the hood on the older C was similarly sloped, or if it was more like my old MB (although I know that the ornament attaches to the hood, and not to the grill).
I "see" what you mean. Communication is no easy task . I also only see the top part of the ornament on mine. On an older design, with a flatter hood, it would be more visible.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Re: rode in the older c-class today

cup holder is still overengineered.
I swear that MB spends billions on the R&D of their cup holders .
Old 02-19-2002, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
ahh...i remember the days when my grandfather's chauffeur used to take the emblem off the front hood when the car isn't used just so the thieves wouldn't get it.

Last edited by steve s; 02-19-2002 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:33 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: Re: rode in the older c-class today

Originally posted by accord
I swear that MB spends billions on the R&D of their cup holders .
I must run in the wrong circles, but my co-workers seem genuinely impressed with the design of the cup holder.

Having driven several manual transmission cars with conventional donut hole cupholders in the console, I appreciate the idea that the cupholder rises from its storage then displaces to the right. What looks at first to be an exercise in overengineering is, IMO, a fruitful attempt to place the cupholder out of range of those changing gears manually.

Although this is a less apparent feature with an automatic transmision, my wife has remarked that I have fewer Coca-Cola stains on my shirt sleeves, now that I'm NOT resting my elbow on that 28 oz fountain drink.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Personally, I don't eat or drink in my $35K car!
Old 02-19-2002, 10:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Re: Re: Re: rode in the older c-class today

Originally posted by MB-BOB
I must run in the wrong circles, but my co-workers seem genuinely impressed with the design of the cup holder.

Having driven several manual transmission cars with conventional donut hole cupholders in the console, I appreciate the idea that the cupholder rises from its storage then displaces to the right. What looks at first to be an exercise in overengineering is, IMO, a fruitful attempt to place the cupholder out of range of those changing gears manually.

Although this is a less apparent feature with an automatic transmision, my wife has remarked that I have fewer Coca-Cola stains on my shirt sleeves, now that I'm NOT resting my elbow on that 28 oz fountain drink.
The only complaint I have about the cup holder, is that the one closest to the driver will not take larger cups. I have a couple of big coffee mugs (I just can't start my day without some java for the road ) that are narrow on the bottom to fit into cup holders, but then are fatter on top. I have to use the cup holder on the passenger side for this which causes two problems. The first is if I have a passenger with a drink, they either have no place to put it (if they have the same cup size problem), or they have to reach around mine which could interfere with the gear shift. The second problem is that I never feel comfortable with the cup in the higher stand, as it feels kind of unstable. But so far, no spills.....

One more thing, I forget whether or not the manual gear shift is higher, but if it's not, I would constantly bump into my cup while trying to shift.

I do like the "Pop-up" feature though. Kind of silly, but whenever someone rides in my car and says "nice car", I always add: "and check out the cup holder!" as I "pop" it open.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by MarkL
Personally, I don't eat or drink in my $35K car!
I wish I had the will power.....

Originally posted by steve s
ahh...i remember the days when my grandfather's chauffeur used to take the emblem off the front hood when the car isn't used just so the thieves wouldn't get it.
Yeah, our chauffeur would do the same thing with the rolls! :p

>>I can dream can't I?<<
Old 02-19-2002, 10:57 AM
benzomonterey

The cupholders never worked in this car

But the 240D hubcaps are kinda cool

PS isn't there something all wrong with displaying the American flag and the Swastika?
Old 02-19-2002, 12:24 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Cupholders?

Ehh, you guys make me really confused here. What kind of cupholders do you got in your cars? The only cupholder I have found in mine is the hole in the center console that appears when you pull that wooden-cover back. Same thing in the back seat. Just some plastic "holes" that can be pulled out from the center arm rest. You are talking about some over-engineered stuff, but to me, mine looks very, very simple. If you have some other type of cupholders than me, please post a pic of it/thiem!

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Re: Cupholders?

Originally posted by DtS
Ehh, you guys make me really confused here. What kind of cupholders do you got in your cars? The only cupholder I have found in mine is the hole in the center console that appears when you pull that wooden-cover back. Same thing in the back seat. Just some plastic "holes" that can be pulled out from the center arm rest. You are talking about some over-engineered stuff, but to me, mine looks very, very simple. If you have some other type of cupholders than me, please post a pic of it/thiem!

Thanks!
DtS, the cupholder that we have is located in the center compartment also. When you slide the wood cover back, there is a silver button that you press. The cup holder then slowly lifts up, and then flips over to the right revealing two places for cups. One is a hole into the center console (low), and the other is the higher one which flipped over. Is this not included on the Euro editions?

Hopefully my discription isn't totally confusing. If it is, hopefully someone will clarify better, or post pics if needed.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:24 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Re: Re: Cupholders?

DtS, the cupholder that we have is located in the center compartment also. When you slide the wood cover back, there is a silver button that you press. The cup holder then slowly lifts up, and then flips over to the right revealing two places for cups. One is a hole into the center console (low), and the other is the higher one which flipped over. Is this not included on the Euro editions?

Hopefully my discription isn't totally confusing. If it is, hopefully someone will clarify better, or post pics if needed.
Thanks for your reply. I am not TOO confused, even though a pic maybe would clarify this a little bit . Guess the fancy kind of cupholder only comes standard on US-equipped cars. Too bad. I want one of those... Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2002, 02:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I remember a few years back, some friends of mine from Germany were visiting me here in the US. Along with the normal American items that they wanted (Levis 501 etc.), they both LOVED the travel mugs that you could buy here. It seemed like everywhere we stopped, they would buy a travel mug. They even got one at the airport gift shop on their return trip home.

So I guess if travel mugs are not as available in Europe as here (although they could be now; this was about 8 years ago), then there's no need for them to be standard on cars as they are here.

Sorry if this story is a bit off topic, but I never really made that connection until now!

Old 02-19-2002, 02:47 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
here is a AVI movie of the cupholder in action.

1.5 MB video of the cup holder popping up.

MB Cupholder in action
Old 02-19-2002, 03:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Re: here is a AVI movie of the cupholder in action.

Originally posted by pixmation

MB Cupholder in action
Nice avi. I thought for sure someone with a digital camera would go out and take a pic or two. Wasn't expecting full motion though!!
Old 02-19-2002, 03:49 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Re: here is a AVI movie of the cupholder in action.

Originally posted by pixmation

MB Cupholder in action
Wow! Talk about kind and helpful members on this board!!! Now things are perfectly clear! Thanks alot pixmation
Old 02-19-2002, 03:56 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
it's the handy feature of the digital camera that take small AVI video clips.

here is the stills for those have slow connection or don't want to download the video.

Old 02-19-2002, 04:33 PM

Import
Anyone besides me download and watch the avi, knowing that you play with the stupid thing every day?
Old 02-19-2002, 04:41 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Originally posted by pel C
Anyone besides me download and watch the avi, knowing that you play with the stupid thing every day?
are you referring to the stupid cupholder or the stupid digital camera?
Old 02-19-2002, 07:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by pel C
Yep, sure did! I bet you played it more than one time too!!
Old 02-19-2002, 07:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
i'm even more pathetic! i took a mpg shot of the cupholder too w/ my vocal sound effects added (shhhk, click, whoop, chkchk)... but i couldn't figure out how to share it b/c of the 200k attachment limit... spent about an hour (at work) trying to reduce the size of the mpg w/ crappy premiere (these are the times when i wish i had a mac...)

and Dts, you can order that part if you really want to. it probably costs US$150

btw, pix, i can't believe you actually use the coin slots! :p
LOL!!! All that for a cup holder video!! We really are obsessed!!

btw - I was thinking the same thing about the coin holder!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rode in the older c-class today