C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
Old 06-15-2015, 04:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

2005 C230 Rough Idle or Cylinder Head Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K Coupe
And I just drive in town maybe 10-15 miles a day. I've discovered that's the worst thing to do on these forums. Too late to drive it "Italian" now.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
Originally Posted by BenzBgone
Lesson learned--never own a car for more than 5-6 yrs in the 21st century.
That's a terrible lesson to learn. Cars today are better than ever and last longer, lots of studies to prove it. The lesson to learn is:
- don't buy the first model years of a new platform
- don't buy the first model years of a new engine

I just bought a 10yo vehicle, yet made sure to get one with all the problems ironed out by getting one that was around the middle of the engine and platform run.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 PM

C230
@BenzBGone: Sounds like youre having exactly the problem I had and, to some extent, am continuing to have. (No more MBs for me either, BTW). From this thread and other things Ive read, it seems like the cylinder head is designed such that deposits form readily on the valves causing the valves to not seat properly and thus compression issues. The brute force solution is to replace/reseat the valves which, as you've found, is not worth doing. The stop gap solution is to use techron and a lot of high revs on the engine. I bought some techron in bulk on-line and use a couple of bottles back to back every few months. That combined with a lot of high revs. Every freeway on ramp gets full throttle. The object is to clean off the deposits pictured in Glyn M Ruck's post in this thread. It's been improving my situation some although the engine continues to be less than perfect. It should hold me off until I can get a new car.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:43 PM

C230K Coupe
Originally Posted by we135b
@BenzBGone: Sounds like youre having exactly the problem I had and, to some extent, am continuing to have. (No more MBs for me either, BTW). From this thread and other things Ive read, it seems like the cylinder head is designed such that deposits form readily on the valves causing the valves to not seat properly and thus compression issues. The brute force solution is to replace/reseat the valves which, as you've found, is not worth doing. The stop gap solution is to use techron and a lot of high revs on the engine. I bought some techron in bulk on-line and use a couple of bottles back to back every few months. That combined with a lot of high revs. Every freeway on ramp gets full throttle. The object is to clean off the deposits pictured in Glyn M Ruck's post in this thread. It's been improving my situation some although the engine continues to be less than perfect. It should hold me off until I can get a new car.
I just put in some techron, but I feel like in order to sell this car asap I need to spend one more time and replace the cylinder head. The MB tech said there was no carbon buildup, but you never know. I'm ready for a new car now--really intrigued by the Volvo S60 (never thought I'd consider a 4 door, or Volvo). I'll at least be able to outrun my wife's TSX.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:14 PM

C230K Coupe
Sold

I wanted to write down what I did for posterity, in case anyone else has this experience with a C230 coupe bucking hard during a hot idle.

I got a machined cylinder head from Metric Motors in CA, like $800. Then I had a local mechanic replace it for $1400, plus $200 in parts I provided. The Merc dealer had quoted my $6,000 for a new head after they charged me $600 to run a compression test (50% loss in cylinder 2)

The car worked GREAT with the machined head replacement. So great that I sold the car for a good price and bought a Volvo S60 that will fare better in the snow. I had the C230 for 9 years and loved it. Then I ran into the engine.

I tried Techron and maybe was impatient. But after spending thousands in the last year I switched out.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:33 PM

2005 c 230 Kompressor
rough at idle

MB of Wichita Falls Tx just put a remanufactured engine in my 05 c230K. I was having the same issues. Then my engine ceased. When I took it down there, they quoted 4500. then upon further investigation, the DOHC gears sheared off. 8500$$$$$. I had to investigate. There was a law suit a couple of years ago involving the M272 and M273 engines. The gears were wearing out right outside of the warranty date or milage. IF YOU BRING YOUR C230 KOMPRESSOR with engine number M271. xxx with complaints of rough idle at start up until exhaust builds up, they are supposed to replace your cam shaft, Both of them with a different cam shaft part number. apparently the ones they put in are bad. I had 136,000 on my car when they replaced the engine. HMU and I will send you the SB # when I get back to work. I had to study extensively to find the cause. All the Gears that go bad are manufactured a the MB manufacting plant in Germany. (some city I would not dear try to say or spell). I got the remanufactured engine in and just got done breaking it in, 1500 miles. I have a 12,000 mile warranty, and I want to get the rest of my money back. I paid 2500 for the repairs to get started, but MB was not going to part with that money, believe me, I tried. I even used the fact that I was a Soldier... LOL. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM

C230
2006 C230

131k miles, most of it on the highway (my average speed over the lifetime of the car has been 47mph), always put the highest quality fuel in. Started with a rough idle and hard time starting. Dealershio told me the compression head on cylinder 5 was shot from 'most likely carbon build-up'. They are checking now to see if all I need is a new head or if there is any scoring and I need to replace the whole thing. Full replacement means new car, since the cost is more than the residual value of the car. They are indicating a new head is $4k.

Seems awful to me that the 2006 C230 that has had all scheduled maintenance and care would have this costly an issue after 131k miles.

Any thoughts, opinions, options?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 PM

2005 C230K
Originally Posted by CTFBOfficial
131k miles, most of it on the highway (my average speed over the lifetime of the car has been 47mph), always put the highest quality fuel in. Started with a rough idle and hard time starting. Dealershio told me the compression head on cylinder 5 was shot from 'most likely carbon build-up'. They are checking now to see if all I need is a new head or if there is any scoring and I need to replace the whole thing. Full replacement means new car, since the cost is more than the residual value of the car. They are indicating a new head is $4k.

Seems awful to me that the 2006 C230 that has had all scheduled maintenance and care would have this costly an issue after 131k miles.

Do a tank of Chevron Techron and, more importantly, remove and completely clean your throttle body (see my thread here) - this one thing fixed my rough idle, 'difficult' starting, weird shifting, etc.

Granted, it may be a real problem that you need fixed, but definitely try cleaning the throttle body, including the internals, before paying for dealerships to diagnose or repair things.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by abnmike77
MB of Wichita Falls Tx just put a remanufactured engine in my 05 c230K. I was having the same issues. Then my engine ceased. When I took it down there, they quoted 4500. then upon further investigation, the DOHC gears sheared off. 8500$$$$$. I had to investigate. There was a law suit a couple of years ago involving the M272 and M273 engines. The gears were wearing out right outside of the warranty date or milage. IF YOU BRING YOUR C230 KOMPRESSOR with engine number M271. xxx with complaints of rough idle at start up until exhaust builds up, they are supposed to replace your cam shaft, Both of them with a different cam shaft part number. apparently the ones they put in are bad. I had 136,000 on my car when they replaced the engine. HMU and I will send you the SB # when I get back to work. I had to study extensively to find the cause. All the Gears that go bad are manufactured a the MB manufacting plant in Germany. (some city I would not dear try to say or spell). I got the remanufactured engine in and just got done breaking it in, 1500 miles. I have a 12,000 mile warranty, and I want to get the rest of my money back. I paid 2500 for the repairs to get started, but MB was not going to part with that money, believe me, I tried. I even used the fact that I was a Soldier... LOL. Good luck.
wow, that's crazy. if you can share with us the SB#, it would be very useful.

thanks.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The M272 and M273 problem was sprocket wear on the balancer shaft on early engines. Well documented here & in the stickies.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ssues-dtb.html

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 02-15-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 AM

2005 c 230 Kompressor
rough idle

the Bulletin is
P-B-05.20/13-

and I broght the articles in pertaining to the class action law suit in NJ and another state, then I have asked them in the past about the rough idle. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 c230 kompressor 2003 s500 94 wrangler
AMERICA home of ****ty gas (10% ethanol)..

Euro and austrilia (cant spell it) have upgraded their refineries like 3 or 4 times..hense they have 98 octane

its a shame these high compression engines need to be on the interstate going 100+ to keep these valves flowing very nice
Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 c230 kompressor 2003 s500 94 wrangler

do not listen to the dealership about cylinder head problems.. one guy had head problems then he switched out the fuel injector and everything was solved
Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 PM

C230
2005 C230 Update: A few years on and the car is not running so bad. I've just been using Techron periodically. It still idles rough initially in the morning but more or less the car runs fine. But its time for someone to take over this car. I went to the dark side and bought a 328i. We'll see how this goes.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 AM

Mercedes Benz w203 Kompressor 2.0
Originally Posted by sammydragon3
do not listen to the dealership about cylinder head problems.. one guy had head problems then he switched out the fuel injector and everything was solved
A bit off time has passed on this post, but I can add the following. My C200 Kompressor 2.0, year 2000, had the same issue, really rough running when first started, at times when the car was pushed a bit harded when I'd pull up at lights the engine would run like it was running on 3 cylinders.

Had diagnostics done, at a local Bosch service, whom found it to be a partially blocked injector. This was verified by swapping injectors issue reappeared on a different cylinder. The stuffed one replaced and now car running fine.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting.

I'm having the same problem and I'm contemplating replace my injectors. I think it could be the injectors b/c when I have Techron Concentrate Plus in the tank, the car is smoother. But, after it's gone, it's the same.

Anyone have the guide? I want to try to DIY it.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:37 PM

C230
My problem is not the injectors. I've confirmed that I have low compression in my number 4 cylinder. It sounds like the head design is such that deposits collect on the valve and its seat creating a bad seal. You might want to check your compression.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by we135b
My problem is not the injectors. I've confirmed that I have low compression in my number 4 cylinder. It sounds like the head design is such that deposits collect on the valve and its seat creating a bad seal. You might want to check your compression.
Got it. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:17 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
My 2005 C230 Kompressor has 78k and the tensioner is broken an damage the 8 intake valves, also the two camshaft intake and exhaust gears. Does anybody know where can i find two good used gears?
Old 01-03-2015, 12:12 AM

c240
just eerie, got these same words from my mechanic!

Got call from my mechanic today. 2004 C240, 120k miles, Cylinder #5 30% loss of compression, it is starting up, but rough idle, seems to rev up smooth. Had oil checked a couple months ago, was fine and fliter was still good... however my mechanic said oil was goop! Fuming mad...Always use premium gas and oil, or I thought so. Drive in city and highway. He changed oil, changed all plugs, changed fuel filter, still having glitchy electrical- wipers, shifting, lights, sun roof. Saw video earlier referencing voltage regulator, gonna have him check it Monday. He also checked fuel injector on 5 and tested with replacement. Also still dumping gas into all cylinders. All could be electrical if volt reg worn out.... So sad, may have to get rid of if continues. Need super reliable car for daily use.

Last edited by dddailey; 01-03-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:53 PM

2003 c200k
w203 m271 benz c200k

hi guys would someone be able to help me I have a problem with my w203 m271engine the car justed stoped starting I was moving with it I stoped a home and wanted to start it again then it refused took it to check it on the computer they said its the left cam senor tred to replace it and it did not work then did afull check up and found out there is no compression then now I took the head out and sent it in to they say all the values are fine so is goo to put the head back or is thr blok cracked
Old 01-16-2016, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Mercedes R350; '07 GL450
Contact me for any balance shaft repair in the NYC / NJ area. Will beat any price and job done in 3 days. All work GUARANTEED!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 PM

2005 w203
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Can you report dry & wet compression readings. The head had been redesigned by 2005 production.

You might have an erratic throttle body actuator. It won't throw a code & the only way to sort it is to replace it.
can an isoft code reader tell if it is the throttle body?