C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Plasti Dip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 (Aftermarket)
Plasti Dip

hello everyone, i just finished wrapping my grille with CF and it looks very creasy and lots of air bubbles. After browsing thru the forums i found out about plasti-dip and how much people on the forums use it. I want to know
1)How does one use it? (just spray on whatever you want to plasti dip on)
2)How many spray cans of P.D would i need to coat my wheels? (17" inches)
3)How long does it last? Any negative aspects about it?
4)Can it be taken off?
5)Better alternative to wrapping (CARBON FIBER SHEETS)

I already bought 3 cans of P.D (Plasti dip rubber coat in black color) from eBay. What are the opinions on it?
Attached Thumbnails Plasti Dip-photo-1.jpg   Plasti Dip-photo-3.jpg   Plasti Dip-photo-4.jpg   Plasti Dip-photo-5.jpg  

Last edited by Akber; 03-04-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 PM

C320 (Aftermarket)
btw, is my grille ok with the CF vinyl on? or should i remove it and plasti dip it?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 C320 Sport
Looks like you didn't properly stretch the cf. is it 3M di noc? Reheat it and stretch it.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 PM

C320 (Aftermarket)
Originally Posted by ND2020
Looks like you didn't properly stretch the cf. is it 3M di noc? Reheat it and stretch it.
ya its 3M. How do u strech it? i can really heat it up and it softens but still i can't get rid of those freaking lines!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
You might have to re do it. I usually heat it up a little before hand than re heat it once its on.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 PM

C320 (Aftermarket)
Originally Posted by MBfinatic
You might have to re do it. I usually heat it up a little before hand than re heat it once its on.
Seriously!?! just my rotten luck, i have no left over vinyl left to apply on. Can't i remove the vinyl i have on now the grille? and re-heat it.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
I have had to re do it. It sucks. You can try but I doubt it will work.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
Plasti dip I'd easy and straight forward just like painting. Go to Lowes and buy it. It'll take a couple of cans to do wheels. easily applicable and removable if you don't like it. Its durable and protects well.

There's a diy on how to vinyl wrap parts in the diy sticky up top. When wrapping parts like interior and small panels heating it helps. parts like roofs and hood don't need stretching, they are applied like window tint. You can apply the same technic to the small parts by using soap water and spreading the back side of the vinyl so you can move the vinyl around till you get it to your liking the get a credit card or something with a flat edge then push the water out. Clean up all the extra water then with a heat gun you can remove the air bubbles and let it adhere to the part.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:04 PM

C320 (Aftermarket)
Originally Posted by MBfinatic
I have had to re do it. It sucks. You can try but I doubt it will work.
thanks, will give it a shot
Old 03-04-2012, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
1)How does one use it?
-Just spray it in let it try and do 2 or 3 coats
-Probably about 7-8 maybe more or less depending on how many coats you do and if you make mistakes while doing it.
-As long as you do it in sun light it dry's pretty fast, I would say under 5 mins if its hot out. The negative things I have noticed is in sun light it looks not that black, it looks more like a brownish color its hard to explain.
4)Can it be taken off?
-Yes
-Depends on preference and what you are doing. I think wrapping looks nicer though
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 PM

C320 (Aftermarket)
Originally Posted by phister
Plasti dip I'd easy and straight forward just like painting. Go to Lowes and buy it. It'll take a couple of cans to do wheels. easily applicable and removable if you don't like it. Its durable and protects well.

There's a diy on how to vinyl wrap parts in the diy sticky up top. When wrapping parts like interior and small panels heating it helps. parts like roofs and hood don't need stretching, they are applied like window tint. You can apply the same technic to the small parts by using soap water and spreading the back side of the vinyl so you can move the vinyl around till you get it to your liking the get a credit card or something with a flat edge then push the water out. Clean up all the extra water then with a heat gun you can remove the air bubbles and let it adhere to the part.
Thanks for the detailed information.

Last edited by Akber; 03-04-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 PM

C320 (Aftermarket)
Originally Posted by Peydidy
1)How does one use it?
-Just spray it in let it try and do 2 or 3 coats
-Probably about 7-8 maybe more or less depending on how many coats you do and if you make mistakes while doing it.
-As long as you do it in sun light it dry's pretty fast, I would say under 5 mins if its hot out. The negative things I have noticed is in sun light it looks not that black, it looks more like a brownish color its hard to explain.
4)Can it be taken off?
-Yes
-Depends on preference and what you are doing. I think wrapping looks nicer though
Thanks a ton!! you answered all my questions! I just hope my wheels dont look brown. And how does one remove the plasti dip? just incase. And regarding wrapping, how does my grille look wrapped in its current posture? shud i plasti dip the grille or leave it in CF
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Akber
Thanks a ton!! you answered all my questions! I just hope my wheels dont look brown. And how does one remove the plasti dip? just incase. And regarding wrapping, how does my grille look wrapped in its current posture? shud i plasti dip the grille or leave it in CF
If you want to see what they will look like look at Harrison's thread he plasti dipped his stock 17s https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...project-6.html

It wont look brown, only when u look closely in direct sunlight it looks not pure black, wont be too bad but it wont be as nice as just painting them. Removing plasti dips pretty simple, if hasn't been on for to long u can just rub it off with a towel and a lot of force and it will start coming off. Other then that u can be super carful and use a razor blade to get it off. Its basically a thin layer of black plastic on your car so it isn't to hard to get off. Your grill looks pretty bad in the pic (no offense) thats defiantly not how it should look and defiantly don't keep it like that. I say either re do it or plasi dip it, Heres a pic of my girl plasti dipped so you get a Idea of how it will look:

Also as you asked about how CF wrap should look like heres a before and after pic of when I CF wrapped my interior (I just did it last night only took like 45 mins). First one is before second is after. Good luck with it all, leme know if I can help you more with it and all

Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 AM

C320 (Aftermarket)
If you want to see what they will look like look at Harrison's thread he plasti dipped his stock 17s https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...project-6.html

It wont look brown, only when u look closely in direct sunlight it looks not pure black, wont be too bad but it wont be as nice as just painting them. Removing plasti dips pretty simple, if hasn't been on for to long u can just rub it off with a towel and a lot of force and it will start coming off. Other then that u can be super carful and use a razor blade to get it off. Its basically a thin layer of black plastic on your car so it isn't to hard to get off. Your grill looks pretty bad in the pic (no offense) thats defiantly not how it should look and defiantly don't keep it like that. I say either re do it or plasi dip it, Heres a pic of my girl plasti dipped so you get a Idea of how it will look:

Also as you asked about how CF wrap should look like heres a before and after pic of when I CF wrapped my interior (I just did it last night only took like 45 mins). First one is before second is after. Good luck with it all, leme know if I can help you more with it and all

Again, thank you so much; i cannot explain how much you've cleared things for me. I am definitely going to plasti dip my rims now, and as well as remove the CF vinyl from my grille and plasti dip that as well. Your pictures have done so much justification, and btw your interior looks nice; u do it urself? i can't wrap **** since u can see how stupid my grille looks!!! Members like u are hard to come by because you guys actually take the time and put effort into helping others out. Keep up the wisdom
Old 03-05-2012, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Akber
Again, thank you so much; i cannot explain how much you've cleared things for me. I am definitely going to plasti dip my rims now, and as well as remove the CF vinyl from my grille and plasti dip that as well. Your pictures have done so much justification, and btw your interior looks nice; u do it urself? i can't wrap **** since u can see how stupid my grille looks!!! Members like u are hard to come by because you guys actually take the time and put effort into helping others out. Keep up the wisdom

Always glad to help out a fellow member. And ya I did the interior my self last night when I was putting in aftermarket head unit on my coupe, I think the pre facelift interior is so ugly, but now that I wrapped it I am starting to like it. It only cost me a $9 roll of CF wrap to do the hole thing plus I have enof left over to wrap the hole interior of my 05 sedan too . Wrapping takes some practice and time to get good at. The first time I tried to wrap anything it looked even worst then your grill. If you lived closer to me I would wrap it for you, I love getting practice at it because it only makes you better at it. Post pics once you plasti dip your wheels, love to see how they turn out, the cool part is if you don't like it you can always take off the plasti dip and you waisted only like $30, defiantly beats spending 300+ powder coating them and then decide you don't like it.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 AM

'13 F10 535i / '05 W211 E55
7 or 8 cans for the wheels is a lot. You should be okay with 4.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:47 AM

I drive a Toyota Hybrid...

that interior looks awfully familiar...
Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by kirax2
that interior looks awfully familiar...
How do you like it jordan? got the speakers making that weird static sound fixed with the new head unit btw
Old 03-05-2012, 04:05 PM

I drive a Toyota Hybrid...
How do you like it jordan? got the speakers making that weird static sound fixed with the new head unit btw
i like it mean, u fix the ash tray too! so yea i was right my old head unit gone bad so new head unit fix the problem right?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W202 C55 (5.4 swapped C43)
I used one can per wheel, but that was white plasti dip which does not cover as good as the black. As for taking it off as long as you do 3+ coats it should all peel off in one piece
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by kirax2
i like it mean, u fix the ash tray too! so yea i was right my old head unit gone bad so new head unit fix the problem right?
you were right about that, I tryed switching the speakers with aftermarket ones with the old headunit and it still had the same problem. Then I did aftermarket head unit with old speakers and it sounded perfect. You were right about the ash tray too, just a screw that had fallen in.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:27 PM

2006 CLS500
Always glad to help out a fellow member. And ya I did the interior my self last night when I was putting in aftermarket head unit on my coupe, I think the pre facelift interior is so ugly, but now that I wrapped it I am starting to like it. It only cost me a $9 roll of CF wrap to do the hole thing plus I have enof left over to wrap the hole interior of my 05 sedan too . Wrapping takes some practice and time to get good at. The first time I tried to wrap anything it looked even worst then your grill. If you lived closer to me I would wrap it for you, I love getting practice at it because it only makes you better at it. Post pics once you plasti dip your wheels, love to see how they turn out, the cool part is if you don't like it you can always take off the plasti dip and you waisted only like $30, defiantly beats spending 300+ powder coating them and then decide you don't like it.
I am close by & could use help wrapping, as i've never actually wrapped anything lol
Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Midnightoutlaw
I am close by & could use help wrapping, as i've never actually wrapped anything lol
Anytime buddy! Im in pleasanton in the east bay. Leme know if you ever in the area.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:44 AM

2006 CLS500
Anytime buddy! Im in pleasanton in the east bay. Leme know if you ever in the area.
I live in Sonoma Co. but i work 3 nights a week in SF usually from 8pm-2:30 am. But im sure i could make a trip over your way. Im lookin to vinyl the chrome around the side windows...I was going to do the chrome on the grill as well..but I went ahead & took the chrome strips off & plasti coated them satin black & painted the plastic fins gloss black...turned out great imo.
NOW...if i only had the ***** (and the procedure) to try & seperate the headlight housings so i could do them black.....