C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Loud rattle when car starts and heavy acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230
Loud rattle when car starts and heavy acceleration

2002 c230

Hello. I was going 100 a couple days ago and now there is a pretty loud rattle when I start the car. The exhaust also sounds deeper, almost like what it sounded like when my 97 accord got a crack in the exhaust pipe.

I jacked it up and couldn't find the source of the rattle, and saw no cracks in the exhaust. It sounds like its coming right from the middle underneath. It sounds like there is a screw rattling on metal, or like there is a screw in the exhaust bouncing around :o.

I did make a video of the sound, but haven't found the cord from my camera yet to upload it.

Lastly, I did see some dirty condensation or some oil around the joint about mid way through the exhaust. After it got hot it went away though.

There is about 105k on it. I haven't done any maintenance other than oil and filter and air filter changes. That is REALLY all I've done.

Any thoughts for this rattle and low exhaust sound?

Thanks a lot MBworld.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Catalytic converter rattle is what that description sounds like.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
Agreed.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 PM

2002 c230
Thank you. I did a search and know what needs done to some degree.

I haven't found out what will happen if I don't fix it right away.

What is the worst case scenario of a rattling catalytic converter?

Thanks again
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
You should remove it. You dont need it
Old 03-23-2012, 01:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C230K Sedan
When you start your car it does it... hmmm

Well awhile back I had the belt tensioner pulley problem.
I heard a loud rattling sound.Exactly the way you describe it. It sounded like it came from the middle of the car. I thought it was the cataylic converter, but I double check. The converter is bolted on their very tight. If you were to have a loose one. Your sensor would go off giving you a "CEL". That would cause a exhaust leak and lose a little bit of power.

Have you change out your belt tensioner pulley lately? The belt tensioer pulleys and idle pulley go out around 100k

Mine usually rattle when I started my car and hit the floor the metal.

I pray to god that it just a loose piece of metal or plastic cover thats rattling.
Good luck. Let us knows how it goes and upload that video so we can hear the sound.

Last edited by hahaitzmickey; 03-23-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:21 AM

2002 c230
Belt tensioner Pulley. Hmm I'll have to look into that.

The catalytic converter though, i think has a honeycomb plastic thing inside, which can come loose and I guess rattle. @MBfanatic yea I guess I might do that haha, as long as I dont smell the exhaust through my open windows while having no AC!

I will def look into what you're talking about. I really need to get on the maintenance.

I need to do the M111 wiring harness/ cam sensor/ 02 sensor/ Maf sensor/ ECU check clean preventative thing too, not to mention various flushes, rebuildng or replacing the ac compressor, and I'm sure plenty of other things as well lol.

The other thing I have to do which I still have no idea about is the P0243 (i think) waste gate solenoid which stopped my supercharger from turning on. I have a DIY for the related P0410 checks and vacuum lines etc.. so maybe that will do it.

I also have the ESP ABS and one other trifecta that seems to come up and go away whenever it wants, lol.

And then there is always the cosmetic moon roof paint stuff.

Anyway, I will def find some pics and info for how to check the tensioner pulley thing too. PPreciate it

Low on money and don't trust mechanics anymore. Last time I went into to service my AC, the EIS malfunctioned, and needed reinitialized, but instead of towing it to the stealership, the indy tried to hot wire the car and connect a ghetto start switch, which resulted in 2500 dollars, for a new key, and no ac work.

O-o. So I need to get my *** up and do something myself already. This is really getting ridiculous, and it was such a lovely ride when the supercharger was working, etc... I miss it!

Last edited by Onericali; 03-23-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C230K Sedan
Originally Posted by Onericali
Belt tensioner Pulley. Hmm I'll have to look into that.

The catalytic converter though, i think has a honeycomb plastic thing inside, which can come loose and I guess rattle. @MBfanatic yea I guess I might do that haha, as long as I dont smell the exhaust through my open windows while having no AC!

I will def look into what you're talking about. I really need to get on the maintenance.

I need to do the M111 wiring harness/ cam sensor/ 02 sensor/ Maf sensor/ ECU check clean preventative thing too, not to mention various flushes, rebuildng or replacing the ac compressor, and I'm sure plenty of other things as well lol.

The other thing I have to do which I still have no idea about is the P0243 (i think) waste gate solenoid which stopped my supercharger from turning on. I have a DIY for the related P0410 checks and vacuum lines etc.. so maybe that will do it.

I also have the ESP ABS and one other trifecta that seems to come up and go away whenever it wants, lol.

And then there is always the cosmetic moon roof paint stuff.

Anyway, I will def find some pics and info for how to check the tensioner pulley thing too. PPreciate it

Low on money and don't trust mechanics anymore. Last time I went into to service my AC, the EIS malfunctioned, and needed reinitialized, but instead of towing it to the stealership, the indy tried to hot wire the car and connect a ghetto start switch, which resulted in 2500 dollars, for a new key, and no ac work.

O-o. So I need to get my *** up and do something myself already. This is really getting ridiculous, and it was such a lovely ride when the supercharger was working, etc... I miss it!

Good luck yo, pm if you need help on some of the things, I have done most of my repairs myself. I'll see what I can help ya on