C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

my engine trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB C230 coupe
my engine trouble

i've been having engine trouble with my car. it seems to drop in RPMs and rev as it sits idleing. my service department has been very very good about making me happy. they've reflashed the ECM and if that doesn't work they're gonna order an entire new ECM (there's a new version out apparently). mine was one of the first batch of cars to come into the states with the new 1.8 liter engine. apparently we're seeing it's first bugs, well, with it's software anyway. just thought you'd all like to know.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
keep us posted man, hope it all works out!
Old 07-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
Truelove,

I was having exactly the same problem as yours. Mine is also the first batch of the new 1.8 motor in Canada. I don't want to upset you but just want to tell you the truth of my experience with the dealer. After changing the ECU and the software, the car is even worse. Now I believe you only have one idling problem, right? Then you will be seeing more and more problems with your car. With that issue, I have been dealing with the dealer for almost 2 months now. I am still have an unsolved problem which MB Canada and MB Germany cannot resolve. It is totally a mystery to them. I hope you have a better luck than mine.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:32 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
Oh Truelove, one more thing I would like to share with you. I haven't reported another problem to the dealer after ECU updated. Now climate control seems like blowing hot air (yes, hot air, not warm air) if the temp. is set to cool side. It just performs the opposite way as it shouldn't be. So I must turn on AC when I drive my car. Otherwise I will be evaporated.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Almost a Member!

I have had this problem with other cars if I open up the intake and add a K&N filter. On my present Mazda P5 the throttle control must be tweeted and the dealer has no clue. Messing with the ECU has no effect. Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:09 PM

C230 K Sport Sedan
Re: my engine trouble

Originally posted by truelove
they've reflashed the ECM and if that doesn't work they're gonna order an entire new ECM (there's a new version out apparently).
My '03 C230 Sport Sedan has some weird vibration when cold start in the morning. Now my car has been in the dealer for more than a week. Last week the service advisor told me they were going to change fuel injection control but it seems not successful. This week he told me they are waiting for new codes to reflash the ECM. Keep my fingers crossed and hope everything will be fine.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:06 PM

i have the similar problem too, and the dealer said they are gonna fix a part called initial ignition control.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:30 PM

C230 K Sport Sedan
Originally posted by c230_kS
i have the similar problem too, and the dealer said they are gonna fix a part called initial ignition control.
Did they fix or not?
Old 07-01-2003, 08:51 PM

The shaking during cold start in reverse is very common problem.

ahwang what kind of problem do you have?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
9Grand,

Well! Initially my car stalled out when turning the steering wheel in idling, which was the only and the first problem I had with my C230. The dealer said they gonna change the ECU and software (updated version) after the failure of boosting up the idling. Ok, the nightmare began. After the change, the engine was lack of power, full of vibration and noisy. When tapping on and off the gas pedal, my car shakes and the rpm goes up and down between 500 to 1500 rpm several times. The technican acknowledges this problem but it is a mystery to MB Germany (still waiting for a solution from Germany). The funny thing was that one service advisor insisted that the vibration, noise,........ were caused by the natural of such a 4-cylinder engine. He said the engine is rough in idling cuz it is a small engine. (Well! Why this doesn't happen in Civic or Echo?) Dealing with the dealer for a month, they finally solve most problems, except the funny rpm hesitation by replacing a clamp in the vaccum host. They said the clamp wasn't tight enough and caused the vaccum leak. Great! My car is running almost perfect now: smooth, powerful and quiet.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by ahwang
9Grand,

Well! Initially my car stalled out when turning the steering wheel in idling, which was the only and the first problem I had with my C230. The dealer said they gonna change the ECU and software (updated version) after the failure of boosting up the idling. Ok, the nightmare began. After the change, the engine was lack of power, full of vibration and noisy. When tapping on and off the gas pedal, my car shakes and the rpm goes up and down between 500 to 1500 rpm several times. The technican acknowledges this problem but it is a mystery to MB Germany (still waiting for a solution from Germany). The funny thing was that one service advisor insisted that the vibration, noise,........ were caused by the natural of such a 4-cylinder engine. He said the engine is rough in idling cuz it is a small engine. (Well! Why this doesn't happen in Civic or Echo?) Dealing with the dealer for a month, they finally solve most problems, except the funny rpm hesitation by replacing a clamp in the vaccum host. They said the clamp wasn't tight enough and caused the vaccum leak. Great! My car is running almost perfect now: smooth, powerful and quiet.
Thanks just wondering which dealership you went to and whom did you dealt with?

When did your car arrive? I know the first shipment (1.8L) came in mid-late Feb.

I am also having some slight problems with the car. The car shakes sometimes during colder starts in reverse gear. Also I felt the engine is extremely not smooth for operating in city speeds. The only time it is smooth is you nail the throttle.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:56 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
I went to Boundary Road in Burnaby, BC. I dealt with William and Craig. Craig is very nice and helping, but William is the one who insists the problems were caused by the nature of our small 4 banger. .

Yes, I also feel that the engine is rough sometimes in the city. If I drive more aggressively, this situation will improve. Besides, the vibration in reverse gear will be solved after ECU upgrade. Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
hmmm, i've never had any vibration problems "knock on wood". my car's run smooth as silk since i've had it "knock on wood".
Old 07-02-2003, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
just got off the phone with my service department. they're putting a whole new control unit in the car (the latest release) and all new software. i'll get her back tomorrow. i guess if this doesn't fix it, at least i get the most recent release of the contoller right?