C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My C is hurting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Unhappy My C is hurting

Like the title says, my C sedan is hurting. The cars just randomly shot me with multiple problems all in one day after not having a single major issue ever since I have owned this car. So here they are, help would be appreciated:

1) When I start my car it starts really harshly, like I will start it and It just seems like it doesn't want to turn on, it just shakes roughly and has a long start time, not a majorly long start time, but a few seconds more then normal, It is something that seems like it is going to get worst, its barely turning on. This worries me, is there any sort of maintenance or anything that I could have missed that might be causing this? Im close to 70K right now.

2) I got new wheels last week and they rubbed at first on dips and fast turns, but after shaving my inner fender it went away. I started to notice now though that when I am going slow it makes a thump sound every time the wheel does a full rotation, I even had my friend drive the car at 2 MPH while I got out of the car and listened to it, I just cant figure out were its coming from because my wheel is completely clearing the fender and spring. Is it possible that the hub could be damaged? Would this be something relevant to having hub rings and spacers? I have all correct sizes though. I am planning on having this checked out tomorrow because it really worries me

3) When i turn my front wheel its the plastic inner fender, I read that I can just heat run that to fix the problem. Would it damage the tire if I do it while the wheels are still on the car or should I take them off?

4) I literally cant hear any station on my after market deck, do any of you have this issue?

5)My LED city light bulb went out the day I got it, Ordered new ones already so that problems pretty much fixed already, but on average how long do LED lights last most of you?

sorry about all the questions, and thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Sorry for the patch of trouble you're having! Also sorry I can't help you with the worst of your problems, but I might have some ideas about a couple of them:
3. if the heat technique involved a heat gun, that wouldn't damage the tire. I wouldn't use a torch or anything like that around my tires.
5. LEDs should last A LONG TIME. That's one of the reasons they are so promising. Was there a box of electronics (transformer or something) that came with your lights? If so, I would suspect it before the LEDs themselves.

Good luck with the rest of the stuff on the list.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
STOP RUNNING THE ENGINE!

You could have a timing chain issue, I would not personally attempt to run the car again until it was looked at. Otherwise you risk a hugely expensive repair that will make your EIS problem look like chump change. RMEuropean has the timing chain for a cheap $52 and the tensioner for $77. For peace of mind you may want to have this replaced. A lot of times the cars will make cold start noises, but you won't hear it if you don't have your door open. The rough idle is something Jordan noticed just before he needed to rebuild his M271.

The rest of the problems come along with modding which is why I don't do it. I can't help you there.

Last edited by LILBENZ230; 04-17-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
What antenna RU using on your deck? Rear window? Have you had a tint recently?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
Turning noise might be a bushing or end link. I'd jack the car up, take the wheel of and have some one turn it from lock to lock. I had a thumping issue after awhile and it turned out the end links on the sway bar want tight enough. Tightened it down now no more noise. And while you got it up you can heat fender liner. Antenna might be a tint issue if you just got it tinted. Also did you get the antenna amplifier adapter? Schoche has one
Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
It'll look like this

Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ncmudbug
Sorry for the patch of trouble you're having! Also sorry I can't help you with the worst of your problems, but I might have some ideas about a couple of them:
3. if the heat technique involved a heat gun, that wouldn't damage the tire. I wouldn't use a torch or anything like that around my tires.
5. LEDs should last A LONG TIME. That's one of the reasons they are so promising. Was there a box of electronics (transformer or something) that came with your lights? If so, I would suspect it before the LEDs themselves.

Good luck with the rest of the stuff on the list.
My LEDs just came with like the bulb and then like a white thing on the other side, I think I just got some Sh*ty LEDs, they were ebay ones so probably just bad quality. I ordered some new ones from AZN optics here on the form which is who I bought the LED plate lights off of and didn't have problems with those so hopefully these will be the same
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
STOP RUNNING THE ENGINE!

You could have a timing chain issue, I would not personally attempt to run the car again until it was looked at. Otherwise you risk a hugely expensive repair that will make your EIS problem look like chump change. RMEuropean has the timing chain for a cheap $52 and the tensioner for $77. For peace of mind you may want to have this replaced. A lot of times the cars will make cold start noises, but you won't hear it if you don't have your door open. The rough idle is something Jordan noticed just before he needed to rebuild his M271.

The rest of the problems come along with modding which is why I don't do it. I can't help you there.
you know whats really weird, I tried using my other key this morning and the same problem didn't happen. I don't get how a key would cause that problem though. I think it wasn't relevant to that actually, could it be because of the cold? Because before when it would have trouble starting it was very cold out side, today I went to work later in the day when it was warmer and the problem didn't happen

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
What antenna RU using on your deck? Rear window? Have you had a tint recently?
I have an after market head unit and when it was installed I just hooked up the old antenna wire to the adapter and then to the head unit, and No I have never had my car tinted

Originally Posted by phister
Turning noise might be a bushing or end link. I'd jack the car up, take the wheel of and have some one turn it from lock to lock. I had a thumping issue after awhile and it turned out the end links on the sway bar want tight enough. Tightened it down now no more noise. And while you got it up you can heat fender liner. Antenna might be a tint issue if you just got it tinted. Also did you get the antenna amplifier adapter? Schoche has one
I just remembered that when I took my wheels off to grind my inner fender the inner hub of the rear wheel looked a little unordinary, I will go raise the car right now and take a picture, and I got an antenna adapter but I dont know if it was amplified, and no I have not ever gotten a tint on my car
Originally Posted by phister
It'll look like this

The adapter that I got for my coupe looked like that but the one in the sedan is shorter
Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 PM

I drive a Toyota Hybrid...
u can't really avoid inner fender running if u run on stock shocks, it happened to me and it really drives me nuts back then when i slam my coupe on 19inch wheels on lowering spring, coilover fix the problem
Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Banned

2010 SLK350
Check for stored codes regarding startup issue?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 AM

2005 C230
aww man sorry to hear. i hope everything works out for ya
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the thump, are your wheels fully clearing the front caliper?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 AM

2005 C230
Be careful i saw this on the S2k forums:

Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by RedStripe
Check for stored codes regarding startup issue?
how do I do that?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You can scan the car with an OBDII reader and it will show if codes are pending. Pending codes don't show lights.. a key will not cause the issue.

It really could be several things. Maybe it has a sticky throttle body or something like that. But if it makes any sort of weird rattle noises at cold start when it does this, you're playing Russian Roulette with it.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM

CL203
Hey Peydidy, if you need an OBDII reader, I have one you can borrow. Really sorry to hear about these problems, you have such a nice car. GL with getting it all good again. Btw, does this mean you are driving your coupe for now? And how does it feel with the CO's?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CaliC23k
Hey Peydidy, if you need an OBDII reader, I have one you can borrow. Really sorry to hear about these problems, you have such a nice car. GL with getting it all good again. Btw, does this mean you are driving your coupe for now? And how does it feel with the CO's?
Driving my coupe until I can get the problems figured out on the sedan. And coupe drives nicely with the CO as long as you don't go on speed bumps and all to harshly. And thanks your coupes clean too . Thanks for the offer for letting me borrow yours but I think I should buy one just to have considering I could use it on the coupe and sedan, about how much do they run and were can I get one?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MooflesThaCat
For the thump, are your wheels fully clearing the front caliper?
Ya I am clearing fine in the front Iv checked, I can fit a quarter in between the caliber and wheel easily so I don't think thats the problem
Originally Posted by silvermamba
Be careful i saw this on the S2k forums:

Yikes
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
You can scan the car with an OBDII reader and it will show if codes are pending. Pending codes don't show lights.. a key will not cause the issue.

It really could be several things. Maybe it has a sticky throttle body or something like that. But if it makes any sort of weird rattle noises at cold start when it does this, you're playing Russian Roulette with it.
Do you know were I can get the reader? and thanks for all the info, after seeing how serious it could be I stopped driving the car and have been driving the coupe until I get the problems fixed.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 PM

bmw
I would not personally attempt to run the car again until it was looked at.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 PM

2004 C240 4Matic
Originally Posted by Peydidy
how much do they run and were can I get one?
I bought this one at the recommendation in posts from Glyn and its great, and inexpensive.

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd...enu-98568.html

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jtalbert
I bought this one at the recommendation in posts from Glyn and its great, and inexpensive.

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd...enu-98568.html

Good luck.
Do you think this one would be ok?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=603853_0_0_

My local auto zone has it in stock so that way I don't have to wait for it to ship from harborfreight
Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 AM

c 230 coupe 2003
Hi, sorry dude, if it's a 1.8 kompressor, I concur with the other gentlemen, I am finishing putting mine together after my timing chain stretched enough to be out of the tensioners range, skipping a few teeth on the intake cam , bending 4 intake valves, it also happenned out of nowhere , i would just unscrew the valve cover and look at how loose the chain is, if you can move it at all , you need a new one. It's not hard to change at all I think, let me know how it turns out, cheers.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad to hear that you've stopped running it for now. Wise move!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by Peydidy
Do you think this one would be ok?
That looks fine to me.

That same Autozone can check your CELs for free, btw, if you don't feel like buying the reader now. But it's always a wise investment to get one anyway.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:20 PM

CL203
Actually technically AutoZones, Kragen/O'Reillys, etc. aren't supposed to do that for you now. State of California, in their infinite need to control every single aspect of our lives, has decided that it is unfair to mechanics if people can find out what is wrong with their cars for free and passed a law banning auto parts stores from lending OBDII's. But usually if you are nice and know a bit about working on cars you can convince one of the employees to lend you their personal ones. At least that is what I did until I bought my own.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Banned

2010 SLK350
I don't live in Cali, but in my area the part's stores can lend you the store's reader with your license in on trade, but they cant come check it for you like they used to (was always annoyed by that anyway!)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My C is hurting