C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

aftermarket springs with factory shocks longevity question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
aftermarket springs with factory shocks longevity question

Hi all,

I know quite a few folks here get usually about a 1.5" drop with just springs (Eibach, Brabus, Renntech, etc) and keep their factory shocks. I heard that the factory shocks may give out in about 20k miles (or less) with lower aftermarket springs. I'm already thinking of doing the eibach sways and maybe eibach sportsline springs b/c i dont wanna lose the ride quality either (well i can withstand a bit stiffer). I'm really affraid to do this b/c i had a nightmare doing susp work on my audi a4 and finally it was so messed up no one could fix it (ended up selling the car).
Old 07-03-2003, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
You're still modding your car?? I thought you were trying to stop that with this car.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

T-

I would do the Eibach sportlines and the AMG endlinks and sways if you are *really worried about ride quality.

The Evosport sways are on sale too right now. On the softest settings, you might have a really nice ride.

Also, if you are worried about the struts, the cheapest and best matched set right now is the H&R Cup Kit. It is lower then the Eibachs but the ride quality is supposed to be excellent. Otherwise, in 20K, you are looking at 300 - 500 in aftermarket struts.

Autoclass had the Cup-kit on sale for 600 something a little while ago. Check with them. The cup kit install is really easy and would be hard to muff up.

I only didn't go cup kit because I want adjustable struts for autocross and time trials.

Thomas
Old 07-07-2003, 03:25 PM

Matt -- yes I have issues. I sold the Renntech spoiler, then I felt like i needed a spoiler, but then sometime I dont. I also sometime feel like the car would look better if dropped, then I rem why I had to sell my beloved Audi A4....dunno but I definitely am getting either AMG or Eibach sways b/c I do want more flat/less-body-roll of the vehicle in turns. As for perf I think I still want a better intercooler as well so we'll see. Trust me if this wasnt a leased vehicle I'd have custom work done already.

Nuk -- thanks for the info. So u are confirming that I will need new shocks in about 18-20k if I get even Eibach Sportline springs w/ factory shocks. I think I will wait till i'm that close of miles till end of lease.

I have friends who are into perf cars as well so gotta keep up. Got all kinda friends: one with civic si: GSR motor with cams, pullies, intake, exhaust, headers, full susp setup etc, got another with mustang gt taller gears, headers, X pipe, chip, intake, etc+ a hyabusa+ M roadster, another with 350z, another with DSM GS-T and GS-X with built mitsu G20 turbo, etc
Old 07-07-2003, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honestly, the Eibach sway have gotten me comments about how perfectly flat my car is at the last two autocrosses I went to. The thing is, I DO THREE WHEEL up steep driveways, hills, etc.

Yesterday, at the PCA event, I wished I could have set the rear sway a little softer (Evosports have two rear settings, and three front settings).

Now, with the Eibachs set to the stiffer of the two settings on the front bar (there is no rear bar adjustment) I am in pain on the way home from every event.

So I would advise one of two things based on your intentions, either get the AMGs and enjoy a slight improvement with no adjustability and not *really race oriented, or get the Evosports and set them soft, and adjust them for any autox or trackdays you might do.

You're welcome for the imput. Now go autox the thing and supprise yourself.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by tberry
Matt -- yes I have issues.
You should do what I did. Buy a bike (if you don't already have one). I don't really care about modding the car anymore. Now I just want to spend my extra money on the bike. And while bike mods are not exactly cheap, I think I'm spending less money than I would if I did some other mods to my car.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by nukblazi
Honestly, the Eibach sway have gotten me comments about how perfectly flat my car is at the last two autocrosses I went to. The thing is, I DO THREE WHEEL up steep driveways, hills, etc.
Imagine how much ours would help with 33% more wheel on the ground
Old 07-08-2003, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by Mach430
Imagine how much ours would help with 33% more wheel on the ground
Hi Ben, are you guys still running the sway pkg special? how much is shipping to TX? Just moved to a new place so $$$ is a little tight but I think this will be a worthy investment :p