C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

No A/C after working on my Head Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
No A/C after working on my Head Unit

I had some small issues with my Head Unit installation so I took it back to Best Buy who did the installation. One issue was the driver side vent above the head unit was jammed. The other was that he programmed the up/down arrows on the steering wheel for radio functions. He fixed all that but now I don't have any A/C.

I'm wondering if when working on my Head Unit, he could have messed up my A/C - like maybe he caused a leak? Does anybody have any insights into this?

I had a new compressor and dryer installed last summer at the stealer!

I sure would like your opinions.

Thanks!

BTW - It might have been a day between the time he did his work and I noticed that my A/C didn't work so it might have had to be a very slow leak.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
I would go in and talk to a manager and complain right away before to much time passes and they say its your fault. If it happens right after they could have messed something up in the process. The longer you wait the less likely they will believe its there fault, but I am pretty sure they won't take responsibility for it even if they do know its there fault. I had my sub and rear view camera installed there and I highly regret it, the install guys didn't know anything, they were all punks who had no customer service and messed multiple things up. Only people I trust with my car now are the guys at my local frys electronics. I know the guys who work in the install bay and they are all really cool guys who know there **** and all mod cars unlike the bestbuy guys who all drive corolla S' thinking there cool. haha sorry about my little rant but I just had a really bad experience with bestbuys car audio install. Hope your problem gets figured out though
Old 05-25-2012, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the comments, Peydidy! I can't say say they are good or incompetent. They did get everything (excepting possibly the A/C) working like it should and they SEEMED to know what they were doing. Having said that, I know the reputation for Best Buy is spotty, but it was very handy in a lot of ways to have them do it so I took a chance.

I don't know where the A/C coolant lines go. It seems unlikely that they would be at risk, but I just don't know.

I think your suggestion is good. I think I'll call and let them know that I'm having a problem that could be related to work they did for me and see what evidence they need in case it is their responsibility and then have it checked out.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:46 PM

2004 C320 Sport
It doesn't blow cold air anymore or it just doesn't work all together?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Did you try resynching your HVAC? Just press & hold both Defrost and Recirc button for about 10 seconds until those little red lights start blinking back and forth. The resynch should take a couple of minutes and stop by itself. Report back on whether it stops or not,... if not then you have a problem with your HVAC.

Anyways, I'm thinking when they installed your head unit, they disconnected the battery-power,..... every time that happens you need to resynch a few things in the car,.... as per the manual.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
or it could be one of the two wires was not plugged back in to the controls
Old 05-26-2012, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by samaritrey
+1 I think it may have been that too. Good thinking trey
Old 05-26-2012, 04:39 AM

2003 C230K Sedan
hmm this might be whats wrong with my ac.. when you turn it on does it go but hot air comes out?

im gonna try the resync and check the connections...
Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 AM

2004 C320 Sport
Originally Posted by samaritrey
+1

That's what I was getting at. Seems common for people to forget to plug back in the little two-pin connector.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, guys!!!

It just blows hot air.

I was petrified that he might have poked a hole in something and I would be in for a fight about who was responsible, but this sounds like a simple thing! I'll try resyncing the A/C first and see where we go from there.

I really appreciate the help!!

Last edited by ncmudbug; 05-26-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added that it just blows hot air.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:18 AM

2007 cls63 AMG
I had the exact same issue when i took off my centre console, the plug behind the climate control unit is not pushed in all the way, it slides in and feels like it is in but u need to push till it clicks. i had everything else working except the ac. just push all the plugs in and you will be fine.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update:
I took it back to Best Buy and they checked the wires to the control unit, checked fuses, looked in the trunk(!). In short, they did everything I asked and more and still didn't find the problem. I tried resyncing the A/C. (pressed both the defrost and recirc buttons till the leds started bouncing back and forth and waited for them to stop - always landing on defrost. That didn't seem to help either.

The guys at Best Buy said to take it to the dealer and if they thought it was related to the installation of the head unit, Best Buy would pay.

I have to say that though my experience with Best Buy was not as smooth as I'd like (I had to return twice for minor items - I don't know yet if the trip to them today was their responsibility), I do give them an A for effort.

We'll see what happens next. No A/C in North Carolina is no fun (at least it's not New Orleans where I come from!!).
Old 05-26-2012, 06:55 PM

Before they start an install they are suppose to check all the buttons in the car and make sure everything works before hand and if it doesn't work then they have it marked down. They probably skipped this step.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Oh my god, Jim.. you let Best Buy touch it? I just had this conversation with Moofles after Best Buy deployed one of his door airbags. Unless Trey is personally doing the work, I wouldn't trust Best Buy to put air in my tire. What's next, Jim? Jiffy Lube for oil changes? Midas for a tune up? Wal-Mart for a transmission fluid change?

Sorry, I had to give you a hard time about this. Really, it sucks, but I would be hot that they acted like they might not be at fault. That's very funny timing. Also, as long as they weren't under the hood it has to be electronic... I wouldn't even want to begin to guess what the dealer might charge to figure this out. Is your 05 the one with the MaxCare warranty? By the way we need photos of this new headunit.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Matt, I just KNEW I was going to get grief for taking it to Best Buy!!! and I should have known it would be from you!

Believe me! Jiffy Lube will NEVER get their hands on my car - except possibly for my inspection sticker.

Harley, I'm not sure they didn't try all the buttons. Today, they tried everything - even the heater (which I give them credit for since it was 88 deg. out).

I would normally do stuff like this myself, except that I feel a little intimidated by things with too many wires coming out of it (let's say that I didn't really get in to my electrical engineering classes). I also wasn't sure I had all the parts I needed so it seemed reasonable to give it to somebody who know more about what they were doing than I. There was a place in Raleigh that looked like it would be good - they do a lot of custom instals, etc. - but they were too far away to do this easily (waiting, time of day, etc). It may end up being a case where I spend a dollar to save a dime. We'll see...

I've attached a picture of my x940bt. I have more colorful splash screens, but this one seemed to photograph better.

I really like it. I don't have an iPod or iPhone (or droid phone) so I haven't tried all the ways you can use it. I've copied a bunch of CD to the micro SD card and that plays really well. I thought it would take me a while to get over not having a CD changer since I don't have a large library of digital music, but I downloaded a bunch of CDs to MP3s and I'm set for a long time. I don't miss my CD changer at all.

Now if I could just get my A/C to work. I got an appointment at my stealer - Monday (Memorial Day!)! I'm not looking forward to the cost (and it could be on Best Buy's dime) but I wasn't looking forward to driving without A/C! Yeesh!
Attached Thumbnails No A/C after working on my Head Unit-dscn2152.jpg  
Old 05-28-2012, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update Part Deux:

My SA just called and he says my A/C compressor is toast. Since I had my compressor replaced less than a year ago and it has a 12 months warranty, that would sound like good news but the cause of the compressor going bad was because the alternator pulley clutch was bad. From what I understand, the clutch keeps the compressor from going backward under some load cycle conditions and it freewheels a little in that case. Mine didn't freewheel so it toasted my A/C compressor.

I know I'm not describing this really well - maybe because I was in shock! The compressor and dryer and new pulley will come to just over $2000.

Oh! I forgot. It's not that bad! I have a $50 coupon!!

Maybe somebody with more knowledge of the parts can help me understand this better. I don't think my SA would lie to me, but I'm not sure I understand how this works in real life (when it does work).
Old 05-28-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C240
If I read this correct. Your SA said that your "alternater pulley clutch" was going bad was the cause that toasted your AC compressor?
I think he's giving you a line of BS. I don't think there's a clutch in the alternator. So if that caused the problem, why are they not replacing the alternator. There is a clutch type system in the AC compressor. The crankshaft pulley is what's driving all the accessory pulleys.
I would ask them a few more questions regarding this. If you had your AC compressor replaced last year and its the AC compressor gone bad again (under warranty), they should have to cover this.
I just recently replaced my AC compressor, expansion valve, drier, etc.
The oil in the AC compressor/system had slowly leaked out over a year or more and toasted my compressor. Ask more questions, I think they don't want to make good on there previous work. $2000 is a lot of $$$ to put out.
Good Luck.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the reply, 1st Lite! I'm getting skeptical about the whole thing myself. I never heard of an alternator with a clutch pulley - and as you say, all compressors have clutches. I accepted it at the time because sometimes it seems MBs are so over designed and I didn't know for sure, but it's sounding a bit fishy. It could be that the SA didn't describe it well and there is something that puts the "blame" on something other than the compressor but then it is MB that we're talking about (in truth, so far, my bad experiences with my stealer is the price of parts or labor not dishonesty).

I'll be calling my stealer in the morning and I might also discuss this with another shop for a second opinion just to compare notes.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C240
Yeah, I think it's a good idea to speak with your SA again. Maybe he can explain the problem a little more in detail. Ask him about the clutch thingy in the alternator. See if what he explains to you makes any sense.
Still probably a good idea to get a second opinion.
Again. Good luck with this one.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
awh man that sucks, hope the repair ends up not being as ruff as it sounds now. good luck with it all
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Peydidy. I'm going to call my SA for a clarification this morning. The more I think about it, either one of us misunderstood the other (SA - wrench or me - SA) or I think somebody (SA or wrench) is trying to roll me... I guess I should still entertain the possibility that I just don't understand the situation.

I'll update when I find out something.

Update:
I did find out that there is a one-way clutch on the alternator so at least that part checks out. I called the indy I've gone to in the past and he had never heard of that causing the compressor to go out. He gave me a better quote (of course) but the stealer have me a loaner so it would be difficult to take him up on it.

Last edited by ncmudbug; 05-29-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added an update.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is the part that Scottisha referred to as a "alternator sprag bearing". It ruined his compressor 5 times in quick succession, IIRC. The first one he paid for.

It's a swash plate compressor, it has no clutch.. it runs all the time.

You could probably get it done cheaper elsewhere if that is worth the hassle. Possibly much cheaper.

Edit: see this post https://mbworld.org/forums/2493207-post9.html

Interesting you both have 2005 6MT C230s. I don't think I've read of this happening to any others, is there some difference in the belt system on the 6MT?

Last edited by LILBENZ230; 05-29-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So the CD changer is no good because it is not compatible with the new headunit?

The new unit doesn't look as out of place as I imagined, but I like my factory unit. I've been thinking of doing iPod integration on mine.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Matt,

Yep, I still don't quite understand it - maybe after I scan the thread you gave me. I felt a little like a heel when I questioned my SA about a clutch on the alternator - I had never heard of anything like that before! But after I accepted that (after a phone call to another dealer - the guy I talked to over there had never heard of such a thing either, but he confirmed that that is what they have), I didn't feel much better about it but I didn't think he was lying about that anyway... But doesn't the compressor have a clutch (like EVERY other A/C compressor I ever heard of) that would make a problem with the alternator clutch mute (two clutches??) - I guess not... Sheesh!

As for the belts on a 6MT vs auto - I would doubt it, but then we are talking about Mercedes, aren't we?

The CD changer doesn't work with my new HU. I thought I would miss it since I don't have an iPod or an iPhone, but so far, I don't. I have more albums ripped on my MicroSD card than any changer could hold (at least any I've heard of - I'm relearning not to be so positive!). I think it requires some organization so things would be easier to play, but I like it a lot. I also like the GPS on the Pioneer better than the GPS on the new Mercedes (they gave me a loaner - GLK 350 - with Command). The MB GPS is chattier than the Pioneer, but getting around in the unit and entering a destination are a lot nicer on the Pioneer in my opinion.

I know what you mean about looking out of place. I am a little disappointed in the way it's integrated into the curved dash. I did see a Youtube video from a while ago where a shop in California had the X930BT installed in a C class and it had a mounting that looked nicer. The screen was more inset into the dash so it looked more integrated. If you're in the market for something like that, I would recommend the X940BT. I also understand that Kenwood DNX series is very nice. Maverik259 had a Kenwood which has Garmin GPS built in that he likes a lot. I also like the Bluetooth! Sadly, the Cartronics guy died, but the last time I heard from him on this forum, he was suggesting his parts to set up Bluetooth. Well, they cost towards $800!!! That was more than my entire head unit! I know you can get them a lot cheaper on eBay but then you only get Bluetooth.

I'm sure you'll let us know what you end up with and how you like it!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No clutch on the Benz A/C compressor. Try searching the forum for "sprag bearing". I never heard anyone mention that the alternator also went out, just that the bearing caused A/C compressor failure.

Are you going to proceed with the dealer? The cost is pretty extreme given what you can buy an A/C compressor and pulley for. Then again, you will want someone to do it that will re-do it if necessary. Remember, it happened more than once to the other guy.

I don't think the dealer is pulling your chain about what happened, even if his explanation is watered down or maybe slightly incorrect. The timing is a big coincidence, though. Not that I think Best Buy could contribute to that type of failure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No A/C after working on my Head Unit