C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Why are my wife's Bix different from mine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Why are my wife's Bix different from mine?

A while ago, I got a set of DEPO Bix for my wife from the same guy I got mine from (fishcake321 on ebay). I asked for the same bulbs (6000k) so I figured they should look the same. I drove my wife's car for the first time at night and was not impressed by the light and figured they were just pointing too low.

So tonight I put both or our cars at about the same distance from our garage doors to adjust hers up. Even after I adjusted them, her's were still not nearly as bright as mine. Obviously, it's not the aim, but I'm wondering if we got the wrong bulbs or if the computer wasn't programmed or something.

In the first picture, my wife's car is on the left.
The second picture is of my wife's car from the front.
The third picture is of my car from the front.

Anybody have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Why are my wife's Bix different from mine?-dscn2239.jpg   Why are my wife's Bix different from mine?-dscn2240.jpg   Why are my wife's Bix different from mine?-dscn2241.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Looks like theres something wrong there. I don't know much about that to help you out but I bought my depos off of fishcake321 too. I had a pretty bad experience with him, he was a straight D*ck the whole time and super unprofessional. Hope it gets figured out
Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
It might be the lens on the projector itself or the reflectors inside. Swap out the bulbs from yours to hers to see if its the bulbs or its the projectors.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Are you sure that the dipping shield is not stuck up on hers projectors?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Womens' tend to droop after a while; it's normal.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Lol tommy...

Something is definitely wrong.

This thread is more proof that buying DEPO headlights provide IFFY quality at best.

Depo has been known to every so often mount the projectors in upside down.... Looks like the case here :x
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Something very wrong there and not just talking about the aim.

Those appear to be defective. There's simply no reason why a HID capsule would put out less light. If there was a problem with the ballast or bulb, it would flicker or not fire at all. Also the computer can't run the HIDs at partial power because they won't fire up.

Also, my bi-x (as you know we have the same) are like the ones on your car in intensity.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This photo from when I visited Drew gives you a general idea of the cut-off and intensity of my Depo BIX. Can you post more pics of her cars lights? Like on the road?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Do the Depo BiX use the same rising dipping shield as OEM?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tommy
fail the pencil test!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by tommy
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by phister
It might be the lens on the projector itself or the reflectors inside. Swap out the bulbs from yours to hers to see if its the bulbs or its the projectors.
I'll see if I can try that this weekend. That little door looks like it's in a tight place!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Are you sure that the dipping shield is not stuck up on hers projectors?
I have no idea. How would I check that?

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Something very wrong there and not just talking about the aim.

Those appear to be defective. There's simply no reason why a HID capsule would put out less light. If there was a problem with the ballast or bulb, it would flicker or not fire at all. Also the computer can't run the HIDs at partial power because they won't fire up.

Also, my bi-x (as you know we have the same) are like the ones on your car in intensity.
Mine are great, but my wife's suque! I didn't think it would be because of programming, but I thought I'd cover that.

This photo from when I visited Drew gives you a general idea of the cut-off and intensity of my Depo BIX. Can you post more pics of her cars lights? Like on the road?
I'll post some more pictures soon but it's pretty sad. I'm not sure that the original halogens weren't better!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
fail the pencil test!
All right guys... You're talking about my wife! Let's keep the discussion on her headlights... er... Rather her CAR'S headlights!

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:45 AM

2014 CLA45 AMG
I bought mine from him as well, and in the process of adjusting the headlight i realized that the thing was broken. When i tried to return them he said theyre sealed and cannot be broken i must have done something. What a FADDOUUCCHEEE
Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 AM

2004.0 C230 Sedan
Depo Sucks

I know exactly what your problem is. I purchased Depo headlights when I first got my car, and there was the same manufacturing mistake that your wife's car has. Depo installed the projector upside down (180 degrees wrong direction). This causes hotspots and uneven light distribution, which is evident from the pictures of your wife's car (you see 2 half circle dim spot on the ground in front of each headlight). The same stupid fishcake guy wouldn't replace them so I just sold them and got real BiX.

I started a detailed thread on this back in 2007, but can't find it for the life of me.

I would file a Paypal claim if Fishcake won't replace them for you.

Last edited by XenonBenz; 06-05-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by XenonBenz
I know exactly what your problem is. I purchased Depo headlights when I first got my car, and there was the same manufacturing mistake that your wife's car has. Depo installed the projector upside down (180 degrees wrong direction). This causes hotspots and uneven light distribution, which is evident from the pictures of your wife's car (you see 2 half circle dim spot on the ground in front of each headlight). The same stupid fishcake guy wouldn't replace them so I just sold them and got real BiX.

I started a detailed thread on this back in 2007, but can't find it for the life of me.

I would file a Paypal claim if Fishcake won't replace them for you.
The car with two half-circle "dim" spots is his car with properly functioning BIX. Mine does the same thing and I saw a CLS with factory BIX also have the same marks. I think it has to do with the way the projectors are set back.

Also a lot of people buy the dirt cheap standard Depos without bulbs. Those are wholly different than the ones Jim and I have which run real D2S projectors and moving shields and come with built-in HID installed.

I don't know what is wrong with your wife's car. It looks like the cut-off is right so I doubt the projectors are "upside down" as suggested. It looks like it is the intensity that is really lacking which doesn't make any sense at all.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Originally Posted by XenonBenz
THIS is what I'm talking about.

OP - Post a pic of your wife's light pattern on the wall. Pretty sure you don't have a cut off, cuz the projector was mounted upside down and the cutoff is on the floor...

Best of luck fighting w/ the seller :\
Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys if you look at the first picture he uploaded you can clearly see the cutoff. This is a correct cutoff, albeit with poor alignment
Old 06-05-2012, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, the alignment isn't good. I raised them up a bit (mine were high and my wife's were low! Did this guy aim them at all?). I raised the driver's side up a little extra to see if that made a difference. Now it looks like it won't go back down! I am NOT happy! I just remembered that I had put headlight protectors on hers, too!

I was hoping someone might have a definitive analysis before I wrote fishcake, but I'll just send him the side-by-side pictures and see what he says...
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 PM

good
I purchased Depo headlights when I first got my car
Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ncmudbug
Yeah, the alignment isn't good. I raised them up a bit (mine were high and my wife's were low! Did this guy aim them at all?). I raised the driver's side up a little extra to see if that made a difference. Now it looks like it won't go back down! I am NOT happy! I just remembered that I had put headlight protectors on hers, too!

I was hoping someone might have a definitive analysis before I wrote fishcake, but I'll just send him the side-by-side pictures and see what he says...
No he doesn't aim them. Mine arrived pointed at the ground. When night fell I was like but then I adjusted them very carefully. Now I am satisfied.

If you have adjusted them up and they won't go back down you've likely broken the adjustment screw thingys. This is pretty common on Depo lights and that's why I was so careful with mine. There is no solution for it aside from baking the lights to open them up and manually reattaching the adjustment screw into the hole.

Maybe fishcake can send you a new set and you can start over on her car. Otherwise you may just have to revert back to the halogens.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:11 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Does it flicker? Doesnt seem like the light output is normal. You might need to get the car coded or get error cancellor if it doesnt come with one. I had the same problem with the new ballast i put on my 204. Had to run error cancellor so the bulb operates at correct temp. Otherwise the output was flickering and dimmer even tho i was using the same bulb.

Last edited by FrankW; 06-06-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No he doesn't aim them. Mine arrived pointed at the ground. When night fell I was like but then I adjusted them very carefully. Now I am satisfied.

If you have adjusted them up and they won't go back down you've likely broken the adjustment screw thingys. This is pretty common on Depo lights and that's why I was so careful with mine. There is no solution for it aside from baking the lights to open them up and manually reattaching the adjustment screw into the hole.

Maybe fishcake can send you a new set and you can start over on her car. Otherwise you may just have to revert back to the halogens.
I had an indy install them and I expected him to aim them so I was a little disappointed that they were adjusted so differently - like he really didn't adjust them...

I agree, I can see if fishcake will trade and if not, I may have to go back to the halogens... or try another set...

Originally Posted by FrankW
Does it flicker? Doesnt seem like the light output is normal. You might need to get the car coded or get error cancellor if it doesnt come with one. I had the same problem with the new ballast i put on my 204. Had to run error cancellor so the bulb operates at correct temp. Otherwise the output was flickering and dimmer even tho i was using the same bulb.
No flicker. I have wondered if the ballast could be at fault. Any ideas?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The bulb would most likely simply turn off before it reached such a low intensity. And both headlights seem to be suffering the same issue. You could remove a bulb from your wife's car and place it and yours and see what happens.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, they're both the same crappy intensity. I'll try to do that this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mini update:
I haven't had a chance to try to swap bulbs between my car and my wife's but she tells me something interesting: When they were first installed, she loved them but they have gotten dimmer and dimmer and from her point of view, they have dimmed more rapidly recently. Does that mean anything to anybody?

I've emailed Simon (fishcake). I'm not sure what to expect (I'm not really expecting much), but whatever happens, I'll post it here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are my wife's Bix different from mine?