C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HID Fog Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG
HID Fog Lights Not Working

I just got an 9006 HID Kit that I'm going to use for my foglights.

The problem is, after the installation, the bulb wouldn't light up. It would try to ignite for a second then shuts off.

I measured the voltage with an voltmeter and it would turn on and off every few seconds. So I think it's the system's way of telling the car there's a bulb out.

So would I need to get a Load Equalizer to trick the car that a regular bulb is there? Or is there some other way to get around this?

I already have Bi-Xenons on the car, so I don't think the Xenon Present would have any effect because the fogs aren't linked to the headlights.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2003, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Sorry to upset you, but are you vision-impared? Why on Earth would one already having Bi-xenons need HID foglights ??? To **** off others on the road? I have enough issues with a$$holes driving with their foglights on - front and rear, no matter what weather conditions - for no other reason than trying to "look cool". I might seriously consider installing a focused strobe light facing backwards to have something in return - enough is enough, and I do know how to do it.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:56 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
Originally posted by vadim
Sorry to upset you, but are you vision-impared? Why on Earth would one already having Bi-xenons need HID foglights ??? To **** off others on the road? I have enough issues with a$$holes driving with their foglights on - front and rear, no matter what weather conditions - for no other reason than trying to "look cool". I might seriously consider installing a focused strobe light facing backwards to have something in return - enough is enough, and I do know how to do it.
Amen!! I've always thought about using HID reverse lamps (is there such a thing?) and having a switch to turn them on when you get the moron behind you with their brights AND fogs on. Hmm...
Old 07-13-2003, 12:13 AM

yes use a relay hooked to the original wires and use the relay to switch the hid.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: HID Fog Lights Not Working

Originally posted by TomGuy
I just got an 9006 HID Kit that I'm going to use for my foglights.

The problem is, after the installation, the bulb wouldn't light up. It would try to ignite for a second then shuts off.

HID present doesn't apply to the driving lights. Bummer, eh?

Where did you get your kit? How much was it?
Old 07-14-2003, 06:58 AM

My eyes are hurting!
Old 07-20-2003, 02:50 PM

2002 C240
Question

hey tomguy, does installing aftermarket hid systems in you C void any warranties? i want to get some for my car but dont want to kill the warranty.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:59 PM

2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
If you get the OEM (US or Euro) headlight assambly unit, you will be okay. Because when I went to Dealer and tell them to set the "Xenon Present", the Service Advisor doesn't want to set it if my is after market Xenon-Kit. I told him I got the original OEM Bi-Xenon and he is okay with it.
I think it veries between dealers.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dont get it.

Fog lamps are mounted low enough.. how the heck will they blind you???
Old 07-20-2003, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by pokerFACE
I dont get it.

Fog lamps are mounted low enough.. how the heck will they blind you???
"Most" OEM foglights are directed/focused correctly using a combination of bulb size and reflector shape. Altering this in any way can cause light to scatter upwards into other driver's eyes and making the foglights useless for anything but "Hey, look at me. I think I'm cool" devices.

Most euorpean drivers know how and when to use their foglights (front and rear). Why can't other drivers get a clue?
Old 07-20-2003, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by E55AMG99
"Most" OEM foglights are directed/focused correctly using a combination of bulb size and reflector shape. Altering this in any way can cause light to scatter upwards into other driver's eyes and making the foglights useless for anything but "Hey, look at me. I think I'm cool" devices.

Most euorpean drivers know how and when to use their foglights (front and rear). Why can't other drivers get a clue?
that's understandable i suppose.. as for my OEM fogs... i use them sometimes to help illuminate the sides (ie sidewalk).. the left foglight seems to be pointing lower to the ground.

but foglamps are nothing compared to idiots who drive around with their highbeams on.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S

but foglamps are nothing compared to idiots who drive around with their highbeams on.

I have HID's in my high beams so people learn REALLY quickly to turn their high beams off when they're coming at me. :0)
Old 07-20-2003, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
Originally posted by MarVerne02
hey tomguy, does installing aftermarket hid systems in you C void any warranties? i want to get some for my car but dont want to kill the warranty.
They've got to prove your aftermarket parts caused whatever problem you have. So if you have aftermarket HIDs and you're complaining about a defective door trim, they can't deny your claim b/c there's no way one caused the other.

And TomGuy's headlights are stock xenons. If he aims his foglights down properly, no one should be blinded. Cheap SUVs with their high mounted headlights cause way more blinding problems than properly installed xenons on a sedan.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:56 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)
that's understandable i suppose.. as for my OEM fogs... i use them sometimes to help illuminate the sides (ie sidewalk).. the left foglight seems to be pointing lower to the ground.

Amen to that, pokerFACE. My dream is to find the engineer at GM who thought it would be a great idea to make the bright lights (at full power, no less!) into Daytime Running Lights. What an idiot. I wonder why GM lost so much market share in the past two decades???
Old 07-21-2003, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by tsberkey
Amen to that, pokerFACE. My dream is to find the engineer at GM who thought it would be a great idea to make the bright lights (at full power, no less!) into Daytime Running Lights. What an idiot. I wonder why GM lost so much market share in the past two decades???
Saturn has had that problem since about 1995. It has prompted the US government to mandate changes but I have yet to see them. GM's persistent lobbying to the US government to make DRL mandatory seems crazy. I understand if it becomes law in the US, they can make one car for all North American countries. The crazy part is that if they follow the lead of EU manufacturers, they can turn DRL on or off by a switch like MB, Volvo and others. Why spend the money on lobbyists?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:31 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)
Saturn has had that problem since about 1995. It has prompted the US government to mandate changes but I have yet to see them. GM's persistent lobbying to the US government to make DRL mandatory seems crazy. I understand if it becomes law in the US, they can make one car for all North American countries. The crazy part is that if they follow the lead of EU manufacturers, they can turn DRL on or off by a switch like MB, Volvo and others. Why spend the money on lobbyists?
The ONLY reason, IMO, that GM is pushing for this is they have already done this (cheaply, as I said before) and they want to be seen as the company that puts safety into vehicles even without being told to do so. Who cares if that safety blinds the rest of us?!?
Old 07-21-2003, 11:28 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Re: Re: HID Fog Lights Not Working

Originally posted by Outland
HID present doesn't apply to the driving lights. Bummer, eh?

Where did you get your kit? How much was it?
The reason I wanted to put HID fogs on my car was so that my path would be better illuminated when I unlock or lock the car. I don't use the fog lights at all except for that purpose.

Plus also, I got the kit for cheap (I think). 225 dollars on ebay for the kit with the Phillips Ballast and the Phillips 9006 D2S 4100K bulbs.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by tsberkey
Actually the electrical diagram shows them being switched in series. GM claiming 1/2 voltage across each. What they don't tell you about is the fact about the reflector design and the efficiency of the halogen bulb causing it to be more than half output. I guess that 's why on a lot of newer vehicles they moved away from that design; marker lights, turn signal lights, etc. instead of the high beams.

....The crazy part is that if they follow the lead of EU manufacturers, they can turn DRL on or off by a switch like MB, Volvo and others.....
Actually my 2000 GM SUV had that feature. I had to press the dome light switch like 3 times and then it would turn off the DRLs until the next time I started the car.

Last edited by amdeutsch; 07-22-2003 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by amdeutsch

Actually my 2000 GM SUV had that feature. I had to press the dome light switch like 3 times and then it would turn off the DRLs until the next time I started the car.
True, I can turn off DRL in my Denali but I also loose the automatic lights on/off feature as well. GM product marketing at its best!