C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Loosing speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220
Loosing speed

Hello guys, I am a new member and would appreciate your expert advice and suggestions. I have C220 CDI 2002 model, and over a week a go I noticed that time to time the car would not speed up as it should do when accelerated from stationary or when i want to speed up when already in drive. it would gradually gain the speed if I keep increasing acceleration, it start loosing speed even at 70 mph and then again gain speed on acceleration. The worst part is when i have to go up the bridge or even going uphill the road with slightest gradiant of 10% it start to loose speed power and from 50 mph it would get to 20mph or less.
2 days a go a friend (knows little bit about cars) had a look at engine and spotted a problem. A pipe from engine (Please see the photo with circle, dont know what its called) had a roughly 2 inches cut and oil had been leaking and its sucking the air in and asked me to get it changed and will solve the problem. I got it changed with genuine part and it did make a difference but not for more than few hours. the main difference is up hill it would loose speed to 25 - 30 mph from 50mph.
Would any of you please let me know what maybe causing this problem as i know very little about cars and mechanics would rip me off with the cost of repairs but with your help i can save myself getting ripped off if i know what mechanic would need to do. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Loosing speed-c220-cdi-engine-1.jpg  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Does the vehicle smoke when you accelerate? That's the Turbo hose that split ~ common.

I believe you likely have a turbo or turbo wastegate controller problem.

Pull codes with an OBDII scanner & post.

Good luck!