C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Is 'Over-Servicing' a bad sign?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Oxford Green BMW 530i SMG
Is 'Over-Servicing' a bad sign?

Once again I'm looking at another C230 coupe. I've done my due research on this site (literally reading through over a hundred pages of threads) and I'm aware of the issues these cars are prone to. I'm seriously eying a 2002 coupe w/32k miles and I just ran a CARFAX on it to obtain the maintenance history and I was a bit surprised to see that a car with such low miles had 28 service records via Mercedes dealership.

It had new wheels/tires installed when it was new (10 miles) and I'm guessing the sole owner decided to opt for the C7 wheels at the time of purchase because the VIN decoder states it not having the upgraded package.

About 5 weeks and 458 miles, the car had the tires rotated, brakes checked, alignment checked, and a window repaired.

At about 6.5 months & 1286 miles, the CD changer was replaced.

At about 8 months and 1882 miles, a maintenance inspection was completed & a body noise checked.

At 10 months and 2080 miles, another maintenance inspection was completed.

At 16 months and 2977 miles, recommended maintenance performed.

At 20 months and 3716 miles, alignment performed, engine/powertrain computer/module checked, front turn signal/parking bulbs replaced, brakes checked, alignment checked, engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed, exterior lightbulbs replaced (Most of this sounds redundant)

At 28 months and 5819 miles, air vent/outlet replaced, interior trim repaired, A/C & temperature control checked, drivability/performance checked, A/C & heating system checked.

At 29 months and 5959 miles, vehicle serviced.

At 30 months and 6301 miles, sunroof checked, sunroof slides replaced.

At 32 months and 6893 miles, traction control system checked, engine/powertrain computer module checked & reprogrammed.

At 35 months (no mileage reported) brake fluid flushed/changed, anti-freeze/coolant flushed/changed, recommended maintenance performed, radio/sound system checked, transmission seals replaced (lack of driving???), automatic transmission tested, wheel/lug stud(s) replaced.

At about 41 months (no mileage reported) engine/powertrain computer/module checked.

At about 44 months (no mileage reported) spare tire installed, lower control arm bushings replaced, stabilizer bar links replaced sunroof checked.

At 46 months, (no mileage) Vehicle serviced

At 48 months (no mileage) A/C heating control assembly replaced (AGAIN???) stabilizer bar bushings replaced, stabilizer bar links replaced (AGAIN!!??)
, turn signals replaced.

At 49 months (no mileage) Sunroof shades replaced (AGAIN?).

At 51 months (no mileage) Instrument cluster checked, blend/diverter door actuator replaced (WTF is that?), engine/powertrain computer/module checked (AGAIN!)

At 57 months (no mileage) Recommended maintenance performed

At 62 months (no mileage) and at a different/out of state Mercedes dealership (I'm guessing owner was on vacation) tire repaired.

At 71 months (17,363 miles) Battery/Charging system checked

At 73 months (17,853 miles) Front brakes replaced

At 75 months (18,725 miles), Spare tire installed (again!)

At 77 months (19,261 miles), Fender liner replaced/repaired, 4-wheel alignment performed, steering/suspension checked, engine/powertrain computer/module checked, engine & oil filter changed.

At 85 months (21,452 miles) Charging system checked)

At 94 months (24,638 miles) traction control system checked, spare tire installed, chrome wheels installed, alignment performed, tires rotated, door weather stripping replaced, CD changer replaced....it goes on to list EVERY SINGLE MAINTENANCE item I've already listed. I assume error through carfax's reporting?

At 99 months (26,021 miles) Engine & oil filter changed

At 100 months (26,292 miles) Engine/powertrain computer/module checked, Alternator/generator replaced, battery/charging system checked.

^ Last service history was about 2 years ago. The car is reported to be 1-owner, no lien reported (generally means if they can afford to pay cash, they can afford to properly maintain it), and it was always serviced at the same Mercedes dealership, with the exception of the 1 tire repair out of state (it speaks to stability/consistency of the previous owner).

Does this sound indicative of a well-maintained car (probably an owner who was SERIOUSLY picky), or a lemon?

Last edited by severecaraddict; 09-18-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Sounds like a "normal" ccoupe that's been proactively serviced. All of the items listed, and the frequency thereof, is very typical of an 02 ccoupe, especially the turn signals and sunroof. The sunroof is nice, but a serious b*tch to keep functioning properly.

I wouldn't call it overserviced at all. I would recommend driving a manny before opting for the slushbox, it works better with the engine.

What's up with the chrome rims, though? Did they do curb feelers, too?

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
The history just looks like the PO was a complainer....besides several items that were known weak spots. It also looks like some complaints required several visits to fix. The " blend/diverter door actuator" is a plastic link arm that controls the position of an air flap in the climate control. I didn't see where cam solenoids were addressed. This car should be a cream puff at that mileage.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 PM

In a perfect world, it would be a 6spd, citron green metallic, and I would wake up next to Maria Menounos every morning.

I'm a little curious about the cam solenoids too. With that many trips to the dealer and it being a recall, wouldn't they have replaced it? Its something I'll have to check with my local MB dealer about.

I want a 2002 for the engine, it needs to have incredibly low-miles because I'm weird about that stuff, and I like that this one has been serviced the way it has. I owned a coupe before (and 2 W203 sedans...3 SLK230s, and an E300D) and I think they're just fun. I'm a bit saddened that Americans don't appreciate hatchbacks more.

I've got a 2008 Volkswagen Passat VR6 now that is KILLING me in repairs (not necessarily money-wise, its just left me walking twice) and I'm wanting something fun to drive again. I know that these little cars have their issues, but I just love the look, layout, and design. I'm wanting one to drive so I can sell my Passat and maybe get a new TDI Beetle after they've been out long enough to work the bugs out, or another John Cooper Works MINI.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM

12 BMW 535Xi; Retired 02 C230 Sport Coupe
I just traded my one owner 2002 CL230 coupe (with 25,000mi) and must say 75% of the problems you listed are ones I had that were repaired (most under the original 4 yr warranty) and others that were never repaired.

I traded when the CEL came on a second time in two weeks because of the Cam Sensor issue, an annoying jerking movement in the steering wheel, and the heater/A/C blender door actuator was making too much noise.

A large number of the work orders for your car were the result of time passing and not mileage driven, i.e. oil changes, brakes pads, brake fluid etc. My car was deteriorating in front of my eyes. Brake rotors slowly rusted away, rubbers seals dry out, batteries and alternators fail.

Our prior car was a 1987 190E we bought new and kept for 15 years and 65,000mi. and the same types of problems along with severe rust made the car unreliable.

BTW, both cars were mint inside and out and had original tires but stuff happens when they age.
GL

Last edited by Gilgorm; 09-18-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:10 PM

Canada wasn't repairing that issues under warranty/recall, correct? If I'm not being too nosy, may I ask what you got out of it? If you'd rather not say, I understand, its just hard to gauge the value of a 10.5 year old car w/such low miles.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:36 AM

12 BMW 535Xi; Retired 02 C230 Sport Coupe
Unlike U.S., cam sensor was not under any warranty and the other problems had been around for 6-7 years and were just annoying. In the early years, MB tried to fix the steering and replaced multiple parts but gave up and I lived with it.
As a trade, I got $5,000 and it will retail for around $6,500 - $7,000 IF anyone can solve some of the problems beforehand. The cam sensor oil leak had wicked down the wiring harness to the O2 sensors and threw the CEL. MB 'fixed' it once but it came back in two weeks and had the CEL when I traded it. $5,000 was the best I could get from four different dealers.
Car had panoramic roof, leather, heated seats, BOSE, 6 pack CD changer but not Evolution package. It never left me stranded and would fire up in the spring after being left in the snow for three months every winter. It truly was mint, had no rips or tears or scuff marks and had never been hit in any way and the paint was mint. BUT it is ten years old had a CEL. A mechanic or very handy DIYer would be able to make it a great car again. I was quoted $4,000 ridiculous dollars to solve the cam sensor problem including a new wiring harness, O2 sensors etc. so that forced my hand when I was trading my other car and decided to throw it into the mix.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 AM

"More is lost in indecision than wrong decision." I paused for thought and the car sold. BOO! That was probably my last shot at picking up an uber low-mileage coupe.

Back to the drawing board!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
However, as you can see, having a low mileage Benz does not guarantee that it will be free from problems. So don't focus solely on the miles.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by tommy
However, as you can see, having a low mileage Benz does not guarantee that it will be free from problems. So don't focus solely on the miles.
Whenever one of my cars hits 30k, I get rid of it. I'm eying at another '02 w/66k, 6spd, leather, roof, but no heated seats.

I wish a tornado would just carry my Passat away. I'm not sure what to even do with it - I've had so many problems that I don't want to sell it to an individual and I'll take a huge loss as trade-in.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 PM

I just have to learn PATIENCE. 66k on a '02 is still low miles and I'd much rather have a 6spd. I need to go check it out. I'm just looking for something sporty to drive for the next 6 months or so, it doesn't have to have every option I 'desire'.

My mood is improving!