C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HELP!!!! Brand new cam sensor and now leaking oil but not through harness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230 kompressor
HELP!!!! Brand new cam sensor and now leaking oil but not through harness

my brother picked up my car today fromt he shop and while he was driving he described the RPM's revving high. then he heard a pop. he then drove the car back to the shop and too a look at it and notice the car was not idling smooth. they then turned of the car and started it back on and idled fine. they then drove the car and did not notice any popping noise as my brother described. so they figure the cam sensor were just reprogramming itself is what they say. so my brother says they car drove fine and normal on the way home. as soon as i got home i wanted to check on the car. i opened the engine bay and found oil splatter at the cam sensor cover. i opened it up and there you see is oiled had gushed out from the middle where the hole is at and not from the connector. i noticed that when i drove the car that the car would switch gears at 4000 rpm and not normal to me. and i felt loss of power and some pressure. i already figure that the cam sensors are bad now. but my concern is, is my car messed up now? or should is it just a simple replace new cam sensors and thats it. and was there a specific procedure that needed to be done when replacing cam sensors?

i'll have to take it back to the shop but its 25 miles away from my home and i just feel its unsafe to drive the car with all that oil coming out.
Attached Thumbnails HELP!!!! Brand new cam sensor and now leaking oil but not through harness-img_0319.jpg  

Last edited by pogijeffrey; 09-20-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
You're missing the rubber stoppers that goes in the holes of the cam sensors,.... Mercedes Part# A271-051-00-32 CLOSING COVER,.... you need TWO of them,... one per cam sensor. You can easily stick them in yourself. No resynch-programming for cam sensor. BTW, the holes are there to ensure you put the cam sensor dead centre when installing.

BTW, what's your location,... if you're in USA,.. why not just have MB Stealership cam sensors, plugs, wires, etc,... for free,... under recall.

Last edited by SunnyRayToronto; 09-20-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 PM

05 c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
You're missing the rubber stoppers that goes in the holes of the cam sensors,.... Mercedes Part# A271-051-00-32 CLOSING COVER,.... you need TWO of them,... one per cam sensor. You can easily stick them in yourself. No resynch-programming for cam sensor. BTW, the holes are there to ensure you put the cam sensor dead centre when installing.

BTW, what's your location,... if you're in USA,.. why not just have MB Stealership cam sensors, plugs, wires, etc,... for free,... under recall.
the dealer did replace them at 98000 miles. wires, cam sensors, etc. dont know if they did it under warranty, because i did have warranty for 100000.

now im at 159000 miles. i decided to replace it because i saw oil leaking through the connectors.

but thanks for the tip. i did notice that the rubber peices are missing. what caused that though. im assuming they were there before my brother picked up the car, and that might of been the popping noise he heard. when they opened up the engine bay, they noticed that the air intake hose came off. i belive those rubber pieces knocked it off. but what would cause those to pop out. ?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 PM

I've never heard of those rubber stoppers popping out,.... they're quite strongly sealed when installed properly. And to have both of them pop out at the same time,... well, the odds of that happening would be like,.... I'd race ya to the lottery booth!

If you're in USA,... and never had cam sensor done via MB Stealership under the recall,... then get it done under the recall,... its free. Check your paperwork.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:55 PM

05 c230 kompressor
I've never heard of those rubber stoppers popping out,.... they're quite strongly sealed when installed properly. And to have both of them pop out at the same time,... well, the odds of that happening would be like,.... I'd race ya to the lottery booth!

If you're in USA,... and never had cam sensor done via MB Stealership under the recall,... then get it done under the recall,... its free. Check your paperwork.
wierd! only me?. then im running to the lottery booth now!
Old 09-22-2012, 02:28 AM

05 c230 kompressor
problem fixed... car runs great now..
Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
was it the rubber stoppers? do you think the mechanic didn't install them?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:32 PM

05 c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by biker349
was it the rubber stoppers? do you think the mechanic didn't install them?
that was it.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 AM

What a lot of people do NOT realize is that those rubber stoppers are supposed to be installed last,.... for a reason. When installing the cam magnet sensors, before you tighten those 3 bolts,... use the hole in the middle of the cam magnet sensors (where the rubber stoppers go) to make sure the cam magnet sensor are centred to the cam. Stick something like a pen or drill bit and wriggle it around to make sure it's centred,... err,.. recalibrated! Then tighten the 3 bolts to 8Nm torque,... and then insert the rubber stoppers (flat side out - nipple side in).

I suspect your mechanic didn't centre the cam magnet sensor properly,... and that's why it idle rough and made weird popping sounds.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 AM

05 c230 kompressor
What a lot of people do NOT realize is that those rubber stoppers are supposed to be installed last,.... for a reason. When installing the cam magnet sensors, before you tighten those 3 bolts,... use the hole in the middle of the cam magnet sensors (where the rubber stoppers go) to make sure the cam magnet sensor are centred to the cam. Stick something like a pen or drill bit and wriggle it around to make sure it's centred,... err,.. recalibrated! Then tighten the 3 bolts to 8Nm torque,... and then insert the rubber stoppers (flat side out - nipple side in).

I suspect your mechanic didn't centre the cam magnet sensor properly,... and that's why it idle rough and made weird popping sounds.
you think it ruined something.? or am i ok.?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by pogijeffrey
you think it ruined something.? or am i ok.?
If I had a crystal ball,... I'd be running to the lottery booth,.... not trying to figure out the condition of your engine,...

Anyways, the car was revving high, rough idle and making weird popping sounds,.... at the very least I would reposition the cam magnet sensor to make sure they're dead centre,....

No translations needed,...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoeSS...om%20benzworld

And it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the cams and timing chain,.... got to figure out where the popping sound was coming from.