C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 Coupe was disappointing to drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
not just his snobbery but his ignorance... he talks as if the C240 is the greatest mercedes ever... when all it is an entry level mercedes also... C240 or C230... its still a C class!!

Last edited by jo17jC230; 07-25-2003 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
I'm getting quite a laugh out of reading this thread! Don't you people understand that most of the stuff that you are arguing about is just opinion?? Yes, everyone has an opinion. No need to get all offended if someone doesn't agree with you. Here are some of my opinions:

Trim: I like the wood trim better than the metal trim. I just think it rounds out the interior better. When it comes to metal trim, I like the AMG trim better than what the C Coupe comes with.

Seats: I like leather seats vs cloth, so I would never buy a car, especially an MB, with cloth. As far as the MB-Tex goes, I think most people would be hard pressed to even tell the difference. On top of that, it wears better than leather.

Value: I really don't think there are many people who look at the C240 and think that it's a $45K car. I also don't think people realize the value of the C coupe. The C320 has more options that the C240 does not, so the extra $$ is not just for extra HP.

Sunroof: I really like the pano roof on the C Coupe (Isn't this an option with the new E?). It adds style.

Taxis: The C class is not the only taxis you see. In fact, you will probably see more E classes than C classes.

CLK: What's the point on even bring this up? No one was even comparing ANYTHING to the CLK. Who cares if you have 2 MBs!

My choice: The C coupe was my first choice, not because it was all I could afford, but because I liked the style. Plus I felt that there would not be a ton of them driving around, so there would be a bit of exclusivity with it. However, the back seat was not accessible enough (I'm a family man), so I opted for the sedan. I first thought E class, but I did not want to buy the last year of the old E style, so I opted for the C class (I like the S, but I couldn't justify paying that much for a car). The C240 was a little to weak for me, so I picked the C320. If the C230 sedan was available back then, it would have been a tough choice between that and the 320.

Oh well. Back to the snobbery......
Old 07-25-2003, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by taylor192

10. Again, totally correct, aimed at younger buyers, then again, there is a whole A-class not offered here, so you are once again the NA stereotypical person who associates MB with luxury. Lookup the option list for the C240 in Europe, you can get it with a Taxi sign! I may drive a hatchback, yet you drive a taxi!
At the risk of starting a flame with the E-Class folks, the only cabbies I saw in Paris were E-Class taxies.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:53 AM
Banned

2003 C230 Coupe
Re: C230 coupe was disappointing to drive

Originally posted by BenzOwner02
I cant even figure out how to open the freaken trunk. The key does not have a trunk release nor could I find one in the car.

By the way, if any one can tell me please how you can open the trunk I would appreciate it. Its getting to me that a Benz that's worth 28k does not even have a release for the hatch back.

I had a serious problem opening the hatch for the first 12 nanoseconds I was around the car, then (just out of the blue) I reached down and grasped the hatch and low and behold it opened. I was like WOW, your kidding right? this is neeto stuff. It was very trick and most intuitive. My other half (who has a hard time opening a can of soup) opened the thing right off the bat. I was choked.

I did one of these to vindicate her genius

Anyhow, do NOT give up, do NOT get your panties all in a bunch, and most of all do NOT give up on your dreams. You get right back out there and give it another go, you know what they say eh? no pain no gain.

Let me know how you do, if you run into another similar bind, please do drop me a line, I'll see what I can do to help you along.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:01 AM
Guest0001

hmm interesting

arguing about who C is better

i think i will kill myself for saying this, but i agree with the majority of benzowner02s posts.

i will not comment on the coupe as i have nothing to say about it.

how the C class sedan is generic is beyond me. im not sure who wrote as im not going to read it again.

i have a lot of negatives i can say about the coupe but i will refrain my comments as it is pointless to state them

i cant believe i wasted 20 min of life reading this

enjoy your cars man.

stupid thread

Last edited by Guest0001; 07-25-2003 at 03:10 AM.

Old 07-25-2003, 03:15 AM

C230 K
Warr... Warr... Warr..... We should do a derby between the coupes and the sedans.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:32 AM

M

Just arming the troops...
Old 07-25-2003, 07:34 AM
taylor192

Just bring it!

Just kiddin!

The reason we end up in battles like this is simple, sedan owners have an opinion of why the sports coupe is not for them, and try and justify it with all these "facts" like:
- smaller interior (true and false, less shoulder/head room, more leg room)
- less options (leather is the biggest complaint, its just an option, not standard)

We just try and point out their inadequate comparisons to get to their true complaint:

The hatchback design diminished their 'status' symbol they purchased.

If sedan owners such as SoCal and now BenzOwner02 would just say this, we'd poke a little fun, and move on. The fact they keep trying to justify it with 'facts' just means that some board members are going to correct the 'facts' so that new board members may read all these threads and form a real opinion after hearing both sides.

These are all just opinions, if you don't like reading them, move on. I do, infact it was interesting to read Lynn's response pointing out the coupe actually has more leg-room, I didn't know that.

As for E-class taxi cabs - damn - how much is an E-class overseas and how much do cabbies make? Maybe I should consider a new job....

Also, could someone post a "free cookies and car washes" pic so that everytime Buellwinkle mentions it he can just link the pic instead!

Old 07-25-2003, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
...Wood is an option on the coupe, one few take it because it looks cheap and fake...
sorry, just had to comment on this. i have the wood trim and it's almost my favorite option on the car. it's one of the first things that gets complimented on the car. my uncle has owned MBs in the past and loves them, then he moved on to collecting classic mustangs. it looks anything but cheap and fake. it is a true wood trim just like you'd find in any other MB. only difference is that it only covers the center console. i believe if it covered more areas (doors for example), the coupe would look less sporty. just the touch of wood trim does the trick though. i realize that lots of people don't like the wood trim in pictures and such (like the pics of my car), but it really is a different thing to see in real life. it's beautiful and adds to the class of the car while retaining the sportyness. just my opinion.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
i don't really understand how anyone can say that the coupe diminishes the status of MB. has anyone heard of the A-class. if we were in germany, there would be no argument. the coupe is an MB just like anything else, it's target market is just different. just like the A-class's target market is different from the S-class is a different target market from the V-class. if you don't like the coupe, fine, but the MB engineers put just as much thought and effort in to the design and build of the coupe as everything else that rolls out of an MB factory. i don't know about the rest of the coupe owners here, but my coupe has a 3-point star on it and it was built in an MB factory in germany. i'm pretty sure it was drafted, designed, built, and sold by MB, but i guess i could be wrong. sorry big sedan owners, the coupe is here to stay. maybe MB will bring the A-class to the states soon and you'll see high school kids buying them with the money they make working at McDonalds. then you'll really have something to rip on.

i realize that years ago you would have never seen a guy at my age driving a new MB on my salary. but ya know what, chances are, my next car will be an MB, and the next one, and the next one. perhaps we'll buy a C-class wagon next for when the wife and i have kids. then we'll buy an ML for when the kids get older and we start to go on vacations. then we'll buy an E-class sedan when the kids get outta the house and we can afford it. then we'll buy an S-class when we're old and want a nice luxury car to drive. see, that's the point. MB wanted to hook new customers when they're young so they needed a car that appealed to guys and gals like me and its worked. the coupe is selling wonderfully and they're expanding their customer base. all these guys that own the coupe at a young age will learn to either love or hate MB at this early stage in their life and if they love them (like me), they'll keep buying their cars and chances are the next car after the coupe will not be a "status diminisher" like the C230 .

Last edited by truelove; 07-25-2003 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Truelove, you hit the nail right on the head. The coupe is for a diferent type of buyer and MB wanted those buyers as well. I wanted a two door coupe and the previous MB coupes were a little more than I could afford right now. I could have bought a C320 if I wanted or a C240, but I wanted two doors and the SC engine. I make a good chunk of change for my age, but I never had thought two years ago I would be driving a Benz. I saved up and planned and I can afford it and I love it. Next year I get it back from my wife when I replace her Saturn with an Acura TSX or a Jag X-Type, she has not decided yet. She also is considering a C240 sedan, but does not want two Benz's at the moment. Will we buy another, hell yeah we will, maybe an E next time or a CLK.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:44 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by truelove
i don't really understand how anyone can say that the coupe diminishes the status of MB. has anyone heard of the A-class.
A lot of people in NA are ignorant, so the answer is a resounding NO, a lot North Americans don't know that MB makes an A-class, a V-class, or even other machinery (trnsport trucks for example), as well as owns the SMART cars.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
2 comments:

FYI, the leather options in the C240 are exaclty the same as the C320. Partial leather is standard in both, and premium (full) leather is an option in both. By the way, to Lynn, your premium leather includes leather side bolsters, head rests and door trim. The MB-Tex is only on the backs of the seats. The standard leather (which I have) includes only the central, perforated sections, which, by the way, are identical in the premium version. IMO, there is very little difference between the full and partial leather interiors.

For those who have driven C240's and think it is underpowered, please drive a 6-spd version of the car before you pass judgment... it's like night and day. I have a 6-spd and I had an auto C240 loaner for 2 days -- BIG difference.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Originally posted by taylor192
A lot of people in NA are ignorant, so the answer is a resounding NO, a lot North Americans don't know that MB makes an A-class, a V-class, or even other machinery (trnsport trucks for example), as well as owns the SMART cars.
yup, MB is not a luxury car company. not in my eyes anyway. they're an automotive machinery company. they just happen to excell at what they do. maybe i'll go out and buy one of their semi-tractors for several hundred thousand dollars and bash on people who drive those "cheap" and "small" S-class cars.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally posted by truelove
yup, MB is not a luxury car company. not in my eyes anyway. they're an automotive machinery company. they just happen to excell at what they do. maybe i'll go out and buy one of their semi-tractors for several hundred thousand dollars and bash on people who drive those "cheap" and "small" S-class cars.
True, MB is only luxury in NA, in any other country they are just like any other car. Not many people realize that even the S class everywhere else comes with much smaller engines than they do in the NA.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by revstriker

CLK: What's the point on even bring this up? No one was even comparing ANYTHING to the CLK. Who cares if you have 2 MBs!

Buell even said some people can mistake it for teh CLK. Nothing is wrong with bringing it up like i talked about to compare the "fake" leather to real. Is there a proplem with that? The CLK was mentioned just as much as maybe the E class here. Why did u just jump on the CLK? And whats with the jealous who cares remark for the CLK? I dont know why you diden't understand it? Benzowner was saying a C230 is for a person that cant afford a real mercedes. Obviously its not true.

Pretty disapointing post from a Moderator in my opinion.:o
Old 07-25-2003, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
LOL... this thread is total BS... reminds me of that past thread " is the c coupe a poor man's benz "... oh gosh not this again...

I too as was blackc230coupe able to get a c240 for very similar prices but i chose the c230k because it was unique and had a hatchback... plus more HP and for the same price the interior was comparably equipped... i passed on the c240 because it was not sporty, underpowered and i don't like wood. It's just a matter of opinion. They're both entry level MB's...
Old 07-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport
This is ssooooo funny to read....

I just traded in my 2002 C240 that I had since March..... For a 2004 C230K Sport Sedan. (My second MB in 6 months). I like the 230 much more than the 240. More pickup, I like the aluminum (less fingerprints), my seats are exactly the same as the 240, I got sport rims, sport styling, and a color I really like, for the SAME price as a 2003 C240! Why beat eaach other up because they bought this or that. Worry about what you bought, and live with it. If you did not buy it, or experience it enough to give a legitimate review, give it up...
Old 07-25-2003, 01:59 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
I feel compelled to post another reply to this thread, though i probably shouldn't.

to compare leather in the c to leather in the clk is not a fair comparison. i'm sure the leather in the maybach makes clk leather look like garbage. the MBTEX IS real leather. it's clearcoated leather. the higher end nappa is not cleared, which is why it feels softer.

the engine is not underpowered for gawd's sake!! it's only a 2.6. you coupesters keep forgetting you have a supercharger. slap one on my 240 and then we can compare #'s.

calling the mb v6's *****(lynn - not your exact words) is fair and its not. mb could have put more research into designing a "proper" 6, but, imho, the 240 is silky smooth, mileage has gotten much better and i don't think (last time i looked) is much worse compared to 3 series, a4, etc.

saying the 240 looks like any other car is not accurate. it has the basic mb design traits. in my mb mag that mb cdn sent me, there was an article outlining how the c is made to be the baby s in looks. not my words, mb's words. i think in some way we can find similarities btwn all cars from a looks perspective.

i don't think the 230 will kill the 240's sales, not here at least. there is still prestige in owning an mb with a v6, no matter what you think of the engine. some people just don't want a 4 banger, and they could care less how many ponies it has, and whether it has a supercharger. a 4 is a 4, and nothing will ever change that. 240's will appeal to traditional benz buyers, while 230's will grab the younger crowd that want a benz with a bimmer ride.

and if the 230 is so great and the 240 is a POS huyndai with generic looks, why is mb not bringing the coupe back? i can't remember where i read that, but i did see it somewhere. the current gen is the first and last of the coupe.

both are different cars, both appeal to different markets. let's just leave it at that.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by David N.

to compare leather in the c to leather in the clk is not a fair comparison. i'm sure the leather in the maybach makes clk leather look like garbage. the MBTEX IS real leather. it's clearcoated leather. the higher end nappa is not cleared, which is why it feels softer.

the engine is not underpowered for gawd's sake!! it's only a 2.6. you coupesters keep forgetting you have a supercharger. slap one on my 240 and then we can compare #'s.

How the hell are u comparing the CLK's leather to the maybach!!!!!!!!!! I hope there is HUGE! difference when u are paying 300k for a car! The C class and CLK's are not even 40k $ apart.

And why are u not suprised the V6 2.6L is a little underpowered? It does not need a supercharger. Take a Honda prelude for an example, 2.2L I-4 200HP and less toqure than the C240 and is faster than a stock C coupe. But sure the MB is heavier though.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
Buell even said some people can mistake it for teh CLK.
Oh!! Ok, so this explains it. So because someone could possibly think a C Coupe is a CLK from the front, then it's ok to compare interiors. The comparison was between a C230 coupe and a C240. Your comments about the interior in the CLK, S, and CL are pointless. I'm sorry if you don't understand that.

Pretty disapointing post from a Moderator in my opinion.:o
Aww.. not you hurt my feelings..... I guess because I'm a moderator I should not have opinions.....
Old 07-25-2003, 02:45 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
How the hell are u comparing the CLK's leather to the maybach!!!!!!!!!! I hope there is HUGE! difference when u are paying 300k for a car! The C class and CLK's are not even 40k $ apart.

And why are u not suprised the V6 2.6L is a little underpowered? It does not need a supercharger. Take a Honda prelude for an example, 2.2L I-4 200HP and less toqure than the C240 and is faster than a stock C coupe. But sure the MB is heavier though.
I'm just trying to drive my point home. you shouldn't compare cars in different classes. be it 4k price diff, or 400k price diff.

re: 2.6l v6 - i'm not not surprised. i don't think its underpowered. i think the #'s are in line witth the engine. its you people who are so surprised, that you b#$%^ about it incessantly when you get a loaner.

and i thought the prelude had a vtec engine. definately not a "generic" 4 banger.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by revstriker
Oh!! Ok, so this explains it. So because someone could possibly think a C Coupe is a CLK from the front, then it's ok to compare interiors. The comparison was between a C230 coupe and a C240. Your comments about the interior in the CLK, S, and CL are pointless. I'm sorry if you don't understand that.
How is it pointless to to say fake leather looks fake? when compared to real leather? Benzowner 02 said the fake leather looks real, and all i am trying to say is it does *NOT* when compared to real leather.

Originally posted by David N.
and i thought the prelude had a vtec engine. definately not a "generic" 4 banger
Of course it has vtech, just like the majority of all hondas.

Last edited by BlackC230Coupe; 07-25-2003 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by BenzOwner02
All your points mean nothing.

Neither do yours.

The C230 seat knob on the side had to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen

Yes, it is.

For Lynn who stated people thought the c230 costs 50k, were they high on drugs? NO way on earth that small looking coupe looks near 30 even. Get real please. I can appreciate comments and come backs but not when you tell me something so dumb im sorry.

We get tested randomly for drugs at least 3 times for year where I work, so I doubt they were high. Those were real comments from real people. Most people have no idea that they can buy any Mercedes for less than $50k.

You can try and validate the c230 coupe all you want but the honest fact is a true Benz feels and looks better than a normal hatch back. Again this is my opinion and do not take it personally.

Why can't you comprehend the fact that it is a true Benz. It is very popular in other countries. Our half assed auto media have brainwashed you and others with their silly hatchback equals cheap rantings. Again, the coupe is built on the same assembly line, with mostly the same parts, by the same people, at the same time.

Any way, I did not create this thread to fight with people.

You are, in my opinion, a liar. That is exactly what you intended.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by MarkL
By the way, to Lynn, your premium leather includes leather side bolsters, head rests and door trim. The MB-Tex is only on the backs of the seats.
You are mistaken, Mark. A co-worker managed to get a pen between the door and the passenger seat bolster when he closed the door. The pen punched a hole in the side of the bolster. I have proof that the side of the bolster is MB-Tex just by looking at the hole.

When I called my service rep about fixing the hole, he confirmed that only the seating surfaces are leather and every thing else is MB-Tex. He said I was lucky, because it would cost $75 to repair the MB-Tex, but over $400 to replace the entire seat cover if the hole was in the leather.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C230 Coupe was disappointing to drive