C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 Coupe was disappointing to drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 560SL (Sold)
As the football official would say: "UPON FURTHER REVIEW..."

I went back and looked at all of my posts in this thread and I can't find where I even used the word "ignorant" to describe anyone.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:19 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)
Originally posted by Matt230K
We know what ignorance means. You don't have to tell us. What do you think you are, a teacher?
OK, Matt, that does it. I am copying your picture and I am making it the desktop of EVERY computer in my building!

Tim
Old 07-26-2003, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by tsberkey
OK, Matt, that does it. I am copying your picture and I am making it the desktop of EVERY computer in my building!

Tim
Hmmm...note to self: Get copyrights for all of my car photographs.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:28 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)
Originally posted by Matt230K
Hmmm...note to self: Get copyrights for all of my car photographs.
So sue me... take BOTH of my quarters!

Seriously, I have been looking for your super-secret headlights online, but I can't seem to find any retailers. Where did you get them?
Old 07-26-2003, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by tsberkey
So sue me... take BOTH of my quarters!

Seriously, I have been looking for your super-secret headlights online, but I can't seem to find any retailers. Where did you get them?
midnightmoose.com. They're really cheap too, $15.49 a pair and I think they are some of the best looking aftermarket lights out there in terms of looks and how white they are instead of blue. Cheapness usually means they don't last long, but I have had no problems with them so far in close to a year. And if they do burn out, they're cheap enough to replace.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MarkL
Lynn, I think we agree, but are using different terms. I agree, the "side" of the seat is MB-Tex. When I said "side bolster", I meant the non-perforated sections of the seat that contact your body when you sit on the seat. I can tell you that if you have double-stitching around the edges, the "total seating surface" is leather. If you have single-stitching (like my C240), only the central perforated sections are leather.

My driver seat cover was replaced due to a faulty seat heater. The first time they replaced it, they ordered the wrong one -- it was full leather. It had the double-stitching, and I could see a slight difference in texture of the "side bolsters" between that new cover and my passenger seat. I pointed this out and they realized the error and ordered the partial leather cover so that it matched my other seats.
We are now in complete agreement.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:50 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Red face And, alas, yes, everything has now come to an end.

Good nite.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Banned

Ok lets clear something up. tsberkey I was not talking about you in my last comment nor did I think you were trying to start a fight on here. My comment was towards the other people on here calling me ignorant. You said it and defined it best "ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge on a subject. " I am really glad you clarified the meaning because some people here do not know what it really means. I had the experience of trying out both cars and formed an opinion. For that I get called ignorant? That's pathetic. It seems like who ever does not agree with some of these people in here is ignorant. What a shame. The purpose of this forum is to get ideas, opinions and discussions. With the mentality of outland and some of the others you can never achieve that. Well, you can only hope some of these kids will grow up
Old 07-27-2003, 04:19 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)
Originally posted by BenzOwner02
Ok lets clear something up. tsberkey I was not talking about you in my last comment nor did I think you were trying to start a fight on here. My comment was towards the other people on here calling me ignorant. You said it and defined it best "ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge on a subject. " I am really glad you clarified the meaning because some people here do not know what it really means. I had the experience of trying out both cars and formed an opinion. For that I get called ignorant? That's pathetic. It seems like who ever does not agree with some of these people in here is ignorant. What a shame. The purpose of this forum is to get ideas, opinions and discussions. With the mentality of outland and some of the others you can never achieve that. Well, you can only hope some of these kids will grow up
Thanks, BenzOwner2, I was kinda' wondering.

I totally agree with you. If anything, you are the opposite of ignorant. You researched and, then, made a decision based upon that research. I really do get frustrated by the people who hide behind the anonymity of the internet and throw rocks at people. This is why I always use my real name and post my hometown. It makes me deal with people the same way as I would if they were right in front of me. (Some people that I know don't like that way either, but at least I'm honest!)

Tim
Old 07-27-2003, 06:54 PM
taylor192

Ok lets clear something up. tsberkey I was not talking about you in my last comment nor did I think you were trying to start a fight on here. My comment was towards the other people on here calling me ignorant. You said it and defined it best "ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge on a subject. " I am really glad you clarified the meaning because some people here do not know what it really means. I had the experience of trying out both cars and formed an opinion. For that I get called ignorant?
Ignorance is making statements about the car quality and features without research. You had an opinion, an opinion that was based on the status symbol of your car, not the facts of both cars. Comparing the cars they are virtually identical except for a couple air bags, a couple speakers, leather being an option, and of course, the hatchback and sedan designs. Your ignorance is apparent when you call the sports coupe "not a true Benz". Fundamentally and technically, it shares everything in common with the C-sedan, and actually a bit more as it shares the panoramic roof with the new E-class and the front facia styling with the new CLK and SL and soon the engine with the new SLK.

Thus why we refer to you are ignorant, you based your opinions on perference, not facts.

Ignorance is also the many NA that think leather == luxury, and that no luxury car should be sold without it - when in fact even the S-class is offered with cloth overseas, where the home of the manufacturer is.

Ignorance is thinking a hatchback deteriorates a luxury name brand - cause the real ignorance is thinking MB is a luxury name brand when really they sell compacts, mini-vans, transport trucks, and more.

Calling you ignorant may just be our opinion of you - have you ever thought of that? Remember they are just opinions, no need calling us all "kids".

Old 07-27-2003, 08:30 PM
Banned

taylor192, do your self a favor and go out on the street and ask random people who do not own a Benz what they consider luxury in a car. 9 out of 10 times you will hear leather and wood. The reason they make clothes on the S class is because some people truly do not like the feeling of leather. That's a choice and at least Benz is giving options. But leather fake or real and wood fake or real has always been equated with the word luxury. Not knowing that is ignorant. Now you may think other wise and that's fine, but the general public thinks of leather and wood as luxury items. Just look at car commercials on TV or in an add do they ever advertise cloth, NO, they advertise it as having leather even though they have cars with cloth. Reason being is that car companies are smart enough to recognize leather and wood as being luxury items perceived by your average person. Hope that makes sense. If it doesn't then its one of two things with you. 1) you are so spoiled by your parents that you grew up around them and take them for granted, 2) you were on another planet for the last 20 years. As far as doing research about interior space and measurements that's all true BS. measurement numbers mean nothing. Its how a car feels like when you sit in it. I sat in it and it did not feel as comfortable as my c240 so you can bring out all the numbers, fractions, square roots you want and it means nothing because my opinion was based on true testing not on some catalog I read or some web site. I would think you had enough intelligence to respect that but I guess you don't. Now weather the C240 is a taxi cab or the lowest line of the Benz family its a true Benz. The c230 does not look like a true Benz. It looks like some acura with a star in the front. I took that car every where. I even parked it in a hot spot for 3 hours and checked it out and not one person looked at it. My C240 got so much attention. Keep in mind, that's my opinion. I have a right to it. If that angers you then I feel sorry for your immaturity. I have no problem with anyone telling me my C240 is not a true Benz. I like it, I bought it, and I like how it feels. Its about me not about what other people think
Old 07-27-2003, 09:29 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I read this thread till page 8...and I've had enough. THIS THREAD SUCKS!!

I've gotten C240 and C320 as a loaner and test drove the C230k. The 320 and 230k feels close and more easy to drive because both has the power you need to pass people on the freeway. With the 240's 2.6, I found my self constantly shifting just so that I can catch up with the speed on the freeway and pass other cars. The 320 and the 230k are just as comfortable as the 240.

I also agree with many that the wood trim in the C-class are almost plastic looking. The burl walnut trim in my 00 328Ci looks much better than the C's wood trim.

about which car gets more attention...THE C-sports coupe definitely because it's different. Why I know because I've parked next to a C-coupe many times and people usually pay more attention to the C-coupe. Other than the people that knows mine is an AMG, average people just look at it as a regular C-class which there are tons of them in my area. But who knows, maybe you live in an area full of japanese cars, it's hard to see any MB.

Last edited by FrankW; 07-27-2003 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
BenzOwner02, this has been quite an entertaining thread thanks to you, but the last post is a true marvel. You must have used your heavy waepons, finally

taylor192, do your self a favor and go out on the street and ask random people who do not own a Benz what they consider luxury in a car. 9 out of 10 times you will hear leather and wood... But leather fake or real and wood fake or real has always been equated with the word luxury...Now you may think other wise and that's fine, but the general public thinks of leather and wood as luxury items. Just look at car commercials on TV or in an add do they ever advertise cloth, NO, they advertise it as having leather even though they have cars with cloth.

This one is worth the entire thread. Of course, who knows better about cars than the "general public"? Better yet, go to your nearest trailer park and ask them - they'll gladly tell you everything they think about "theem city baws drahving those furrin' cars".

As far as doing research about interior space and measurements that's all true BS. measurement numbers mean nothing.

But of course!!! Damn eggheads... invented those rulers... We know better than that!!! If it ain't got leather and wood, it ain't luxury, I don't need no stinky rulers!!!

The c230 does not look like a true Benz. It looks like some acura with a star in the front. I took that car every where. I even parked it in a hot spot for 3 hours and checked it out and not one person looked at it.

Was it in front of your local Hooters? I bet those who frequent it certainly know the difference!
Old 07-28-2003, 11:12 AM
taylor192

taylor192, do your self a favor and go out on the street and ask random people who do not own a Benz what they consider luxury in a car. 9 out of 10 times you will hear leather and wood. The reason they make clothes on the S class is because some people truly do not like the feeling of leather. That's a choice and at least Benz is giving options. But leather fake or real and wood fake or real has always been equated with the word luxury. Not knowing that is ignorant. Now you may think other wise and that's fine, but the general public thinks of leather and wood as luxury items. Just look at car commercials on TV or in an add do they ever advertise cloth, NO, they advertise it as having leather even though they have cars with cloth. Reason being is that car companies are smart enough to recognize leather and wood as being luxury items perceived by your average person. Hope that makes sense. If it doesn't then its one of two things with you. 1) you are so spoiled by your parents that you grew up around them and take them for granted, 2) you were on another planet for the last 20 years. As far as doing research about interior space and measurements that's all true BS. measurement numbers mean nothing. Its how a car feels like when you sit in it. I sat in it and it did not feel as comfortable as my c240 so you can bring out all the numbers, fractions, square roots you want and it means nothing because my opinion was based on true testing not on some catalog I read or some web site. I would think you had enough intelligence to respect that but I guess you don't. Now weather the C240 is a taxi cab or the lowest line of the Benz family its a true Benz. The c230 does not look like a true Benz. It looks like some acura with a star in the front. I took that car every where. I even parked it in a hot spot for 3 hours and checked it out and not one person looked at it. My C240 got so much attention. Keep in mind, that's my opinion. I have a right to it. If that angers you then I feel sorry for your immaturity. I have no problem with anyone telling me my C240 is not a true Benz. I like it, I bought it, and I like how it feels. Its about me not about what other people think
First, vadim, great comment about the "general public" couldn't have said it better myself.

BenzOwner2, I have referred to you as a typical North American several times, and you only back up the claim. Ask the "general public" in other areas of the world what a "luxury car" is and you'll get different responses - still strange to me that AMGs don't come with "wood" yet that's a requirement for a luxury car in your definition - from the model that is supposed to represent the "best of the best" of MB, having no "wood" would make it not a "true Benz" - wow, man I'd hate to drive an AMG without wood, spend all that money and not get a "true Benz".

You're also right, measurements don't mean anything, its your opinion of the size of the space that does, and the sports coupe despite the numbers, does "feel" smaller, that's IMHO.

It is your definition, I am not saying you don't have a right to it, just poking a little fun at it.

Now making comments of how I was raised, that isn't ignorant, that's just rude.

I have not once expressed any anger in my comments, yet your's certainly do. I am not angered by you calling the sports coupe a "rebadged Acura", I am actually humoured, cause your sedan to me is a "rebadged Mazda", yet for some reason that made you upset previously, so I won't mention it :p

It must have been a great pain to you to park the sports coupe in a "hot spot" and watch it for 3 hours - how'd you ever bare staring at that design you hate for 3 hours?

So previously my opinion was that you were just a stereotypical ignorant North American who wanted a status symbol, now its my opinion that you're just rude and not worth further conversation with - that's just my opinion - don't get upset

Old 07-28-2003, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I guess I do not have a real Benz. Oh well, I still get treated like I bought a real one. I also have had several people assume I paid over $50K for the car as those in the General Public assume all Benz's are expensive, even the lowly C-Coupe. I have driven the C240 and the C230 Sedan and today I have an ML320. I guess my lowly non-Benz even gets me the higher end models when I have service done. Even had a BMW owner ask me about the car and look at it. But I got the power seats and leather so maybe I did get a real Benz.....
Old 07-28-2003, 06:37 PM
Banned

Man some of you are so exited about owning a car with a star that a small crapy coupe could look like a 50k car. Damn, wish I knew what you guys were high on There is no freakn way on earth that acura ricer punkish teenish 230 coupe looks 50k im sorry. If it looks that much to you then I wonder what a civic with a star on the hood would look like in your eyes.

The C240 no where comes close to looking like a mazda. But I can understand the humiliation you suffer by buying a fake Benz so a cheap dumb stupid come back I guess can help you deal with it.

I parked the ricer teen 230 coupe in front of a popular cafe and sat with a couple of friends as we do many times. Not one look. That's where the 3 hours came from. But the C240 in the same spot draws so much attention. Hope that explains it. No it was not hooters but If you are after fake women and that's where you take your ricer looking car then I feel sorry for you.

I am in north America. Why would I care what some other country thinks of the term luxury. Ask most educated people with a degree what luxury is in a car and leather and wood would always pop up. I could care less what China, Brazil, etc.. think luxury is. What's even funny is most people could not tell the difference between fake leather and real leather. Only reason you guys know is because you make it your business. Your average person just wants the feel of leather. But hey, I guess if you are going to sit there and look at stitching and textures and research all that then you have no life.

This is true and its not an exaggeration. I showed the c230 to 27 people so far including my family and not one person thought it looked good nor thought it was worth the money. The bottom line is I am not the only one. But I guess if someone truly thinks the C230 is 50k car then I truly feel bad for that idiot.

Yes this thread does suck. I started it just saying my opinion but rather then other people just posting what they like and hate about the car I had to deal with immaturity and cheap come backs.

No anger in my words people, just the truth. But if you see it as anger then check your self and make sure your purchase is not the factor that is bothering you.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:50 PM

My wife and I bought the C230 coupe as a replacement for our totalled 1991 Acura Integra. Are you saying that we made the wrong choice?

We went shopping for a good solid hatchback, and the C230 was the best one, in our opinion.

Why don't you post what city you live in? Everybody else here does. Are you embarrassed? Anyways, you sound like an average college student (your grammar) that just discovered the internet.

Am I wrong?

Anyways, the thread is a bit entertaining, so I am glad you posted...

Cheers,
Old 07-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
No anger in my words people, just the truth. But if you see it as anger then check your self and make sure your purchase is not the factor that is bothering you.....

Man some of you are so exited about owning a car with a star that a small crapy coupe could look like a 50k car. Damn, wish I knew what you guys were high on There is no freakn way on earth that acura ricer punkish teenish 230 coupe looks 50k im sorry. If it looks that much to you then I wonder what a civic with a star on the hood would look like in your eyes.

But I can understand the humiliation you suffer by buying a fake Benz so a cheap dumb stupid come back I guess can help you deal with it.

I parked the ricer teen 230 coupe in front of a popular cafe and sat with a couple of friends as we do many times.

No it was not hooters but If you are after fake women and that's where you take your ricer looking car then I feel sorry for you.

I guess if you are going to sit there and look at stitching and textures and research all that then you have no life.

But I guess if someone truly thinks the C230 is 50k car then I truly feel bad for that idiot.

I had to deal with immaturity and cheap come backs.

Sure sounds like your angry about something..... Probably because you've been unable to intelligently explain your point of view. You seem to have some problem with the C230 being a Mercedes Benz product. Since it was designed and built by Mercedes Benz, it is a real Mercedes, like it or not. If you do not want to buy one, then don't. Other than that, I would suggest you take up issues with your dealer, MBUSA, DC, or your psychiatrist.

Since it's obvious that you are only here to encourage arguments, I am closing this thread.