C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Gear box problem!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear box problem!!

Hi all, new here so please excuse me if this has been posted a million times already. I'm currently stranded!

I've a 2001 Y reg C200 K estate. It was sat for a while (a month or so) and when I went to start it it all started going wrong!

First of all it threw up bulb errors when non were out then it didn't go into gear. The gear handle goes into D but the gear box doesn't actually engage. This first happened before Christmas so I left it until today. This morning it needed a jump then it went ino gear. I thought I'd take it for a run but it slowly started slipping out of gear again. Not something I've ever experienced in an auto!

In the end it just stopped working and wouldn't go into gear at all again so I got a tow!

This lead me to believe it is likely to be the battery but I didn't want to buy a new one if it dent need it. What do you think?

The other issue is there is a whine coming from the engine which is new, I assue it's the charger as its constant and goes up in one as the revs rise, could this be related!?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and the rear wiper no longer works or sprays nor does the heated window. Related to the batt or separate?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Joe - received your e mail via speedlimit.

replied.

Hi Joe,
The lamp/bulb warnings have nothing to do with the transmission problem. Please have your battery load tested by a competent battery shop & if you replace it then ensure you buy the correct 100 Ah CCA battery for your car. The battery has nothing to do with the transmission either. Has the transmission been serviced every 39K miles or 60K Km’s?

Regarding the transmission/noise/lack of drive:

1) The first thing you need to do is to check the transmission fluid level. For this you will need a service dipstick & IR thermometer to take the pan temperature which affects level.
https://mbworld.org/wiki/images/2/21..._Oil_Level.pdf You don’t have to use a Star to check temperature. An external thermometer will do. I have also given you the dimensions of the dipstick should you wish to make your own ~ see attach. The dipstick requires to be bottomed out in the transmission tube to take a measurement. If top up is required only use a fluid meeting Benz approval 229.14

2) If you have lost fluid then you need to find the leak. Most common problem is leaking O rings at the electrohydrualic bushing where the TCU (which is under the passenger floor kick plate) plugs into the transmission at the front RH diagonal of the transmission. This has been a long running problem with many bush redesigns. It is a stupid $10 part ~ see picture attached.
https://mbworld.org/wiki/index.php/F...ngR%26R-1-.pdf

3) The whine worries me as it sounds typical of a torque converter bearing failure which would help explain your symptoms, does it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_1ecpmF2cM0

4) If it is not the TC then you should remove the Poly V belt that drives all accessories. Start the car & see if the noise is still present. If not you know it’s a water pump, alternator, PS pump or idler or tensioner that is making the noise.

There are numerous threads in these regards on the forum & the W203 Wiki covers these issues.

Let’s get through these basics first & I will gladly help you diagnose further & get this sorted.

Kind regards,
Glyn.