C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

04 Rain sensing add-on software feature(s)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
04 Rain sensing add-on software feature(s)

Ok, I did the STFF.
Some on here posted statements and/or provided links regarding additional software features being programmed with the 04s when using the rain sensing wiper feature, etc. If I remember correctly it is now also supposed to close the sunroof in addition to turning on the headlights.
Can anybody with an 04 confirm this? Is it too early yet. Will we have to wait til Jan 04 production models? Can the software in earlier models be upgraded to include this?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
I am going to complain to my dealer during service b...my lights don't turn on with the wipers, and they should.

Erik
Old 08-06-2003, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Erik,
Let me know how that turns out. As you know in NJ, it's now mandatory to have your headlights on when your wipers are on...and I'd hate to get pulled over in Plainsboro for that crap...
Old 08-06-2003, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Rick
Erik,
Let me know how that turns out. As you know in NJ, it's now mandatory to have your headlights on when your wipers are on...and I'd hate to get pulled over in Plainsboro for that crap...
Yeah, I was excited when i found out it was a feature, but I can't seem to get it to work...and my lights are on 'auto' before anyone asks...

Erik
Old 08-06-2003, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C230K
There was some discussion on this forum a few months ago - lights turn on only if you're in Automatic Wiper mode AND automatic headlight mode. Also, lights will come on after a certain delay - i.e. the wipers need to run continuously for a certain amount of time.

--Steffen
Old 08-06-2003, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by steffen
There was some discussion on this forum a few months ago - lights turn on only if you're in Automatic Wiper mode AND automatic headlight mode. Also, lights will come on after a certain delay - i.e. the wipers need to run continuously for a certain amount of time.

--Steffen
Yeah, I tried that aswell. 99% of the time my lights are on auto and usually when it rains my wipers are on auto, however the lights never seem to turn on...I am going to use a hose and see just how long, if every, the lights acutally turn on.

Erik
Old 08-06-2003, 10:55 PM
moomeh

Originally posted by Rick
Erik,
why?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:58 PM
moomeh

Re: 04 Rain sensing add-on software feature(s)

Originally posted by amdeutsch
Ok, I did the STFF.
Some on here posted statements and/or provided links regarding additional software features being programmed with the 04s when using the rain sensing wiper feature, etc. If I remember correctly it is now also supposed to close the sunroof in addition to turning on the headlights.
Can anybody with an 04 confirm this? Is it too early yet. Will we have to wait til Jan 04 production models? Can the software in earlier models be upgraded to include this?

i hope we can upgrade. i think the sunroof closing is neat. i wonder if it would also close if have the car off.. ie, you left your car in parking lot for work with sunroof open, it was 90 sunny when you left home, and now the rain activates the sunroof to close not to ruin your interior.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by moomeh
why?
It just makes sense.

In the rain its hard enough to drive and see, it makes life 100x's easier if the car in front and behind you has their lights on...even in the day.

At first, when they made it a law, I thought it was dumb...but after a few years of driving like that, whenever I am out of state I get frustrated and realize how much of an advantage it is having the law.

Erik
Old 08-07-2003, 12:43 AM

05 CLK 500 cab
Alternative: enable daytime running lights using the MFD. Then you'll be more visible all the time.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by moomeh
why?
Because on my '02...the lights have never turned on with the rain sensing wipers. Both are set to auto 99.995% of the time....and there's nothing in my manual that indicates this 'feature' is available.

And if you're referring to getting pulled over for not having the lights on when using the wipers...let's just say when the auto wipers activate, the lights don't ever turn on...and that can cost me $74 for the "moving violation" in NJ.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)

--Steffen
Here's how the lights/wipers work on my 2002 C240. Sure, the lights need to be in "auto", but the wipers do not. If you turn on the wipers to either constant low or high speed, the lights will come on after a slight delay. The "problem" that some of you may be experiencing is when your wipers are in "auto" mode. If the wipers only wipe once every few seconds, the lights won't come on. They wait until there's a "good amount" of almost constant wiping in rain-sense mode. If the wipers then slow to once every few seconds, like when you stop, the lights will go off again. If there's very light rain, I either put on my fogs and parking lights or just switch on my Xenons manually -- I don't want them going on and off due to the light amount of rain.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:24 PM

MB C230K
Originally posted by lars
Alternative: enable daytime running lights using the MFD. Then you'll be more visible all the time.
Here's the advantage of owning a CITRON GREEN car. I don't need no stinkin' daytime running lights.

--Steffen
Old 08-07-2003, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's the advantage of owning a CITRON GREEN car. I don't need no stinkin' daytime running lights.

--Steffen

ROFL
Old 08-07-2003, 08:49 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
Last I knew, the wipers needed to run continuously for 30 seconds before the headlamps are activated. Same if they don't run at all for 30 seconds, lights turn off. I belive there may be a setting you must turn on for this to work. Check your manual. You could also scroll through all of the menus in the car, if you do it the hard way. If all else fails, take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Just a thought...
Old 08-08-2003, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
when i leave my wipers in auto mode, everytime i start my car they make on swipe across the windshield. what is the sense in leaving it in auto mode if they are going to wipe everytime i start my car. are they not supposed to do that. are they supposed to just go when it starts to rain? im confused now.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT

--Steffen
Amen brother! Put your sunglasses on.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
There has to be two wipes in a 30 second period, so the first wipe and then one wipe before 30 seconds explires. The light switch in auto of course as well. Now if you switch the wipers from rain sense to low or high or go from high to low, basically make any change to the switch position, it turns the lights back off and the after 30 seconds it turns them back on. It sucks because then if you go from low to rain sense the lights are back off. I just turn my lights on when using the wipers, since I originally lived in NY and the law requires if the wipers are on the lights must be on. Crap here in PA they just made a law that your headlights have to be on in a construction zone as well, and daylight running lamps do not count. PA has construction every ten feet so I might as well hardwire the car to just turn the on when it is running since it is either raining or I am in road construction every time I drive.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by CitronC230K_03
when i leave my wipers in auto mode, everytime i start my car they make on swipe across the windshield. what is the sense in leaving it in auto mode if they are going to wipe everytime i start my car. are they not supposed to do that. are they supposed to just go when it starts to rain? im confused now.
It isn't really auto mode for the wipers. It's rain sense mode. I never leave mine on when I turn the car off, but wiping every time you start the car is just like how it wipes once when you first turn on the wipers, regardless of whether or not it senses any rain or not. You should leave them off until it actually rains and then turn them to rain sensor mode. It doesn't require that much effort and a dry wipe is not very good.