C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Went from 17" wheels to 19" wheels and got a MORE comfortable ride...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230K
Talking Went from 17" wheels to 19" wheels and got a MORE comfortable ride...

Guys, I'm both ecstatic and baffled.

I finally got some new 19" wheels to replace my 17" OEM sport 5-spokes (which are now for sale) and somehow ended up with a smoother, softer, more comfortable ride. Not only that, but it's also quieter! After reading and researching the 18" vs. 19" debate, I decided to go with 19", fully knowing I would be sacrificing some ride quality. I got the new ones mounted and balanced and went out for a drive around town. At first I thought it was a placebo effect but the ride is definitely softer and more compliant. I used the exact same tire pressures (MB's recommendation on the door jamb) as with the 17" wheels, so the only thing it could be I guess are the tires themselves. When I bought the car 40k miles ago the previous owner had just put Riken Raptors on it. With the new wheels I got the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (link) - my mom works for Continental so I get employee pricing.

So either these new Conti tires are really amazing or the Riken's are absolutely horrible, or some combination of both. Just figured I'd share the great news with everyone and suggest what seems to be a fantastic tire all around. I can only imagine how good the ride would feel if I had put the Conti tires on the stock 17" wheels...

- John W.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 PM

2005 c230
How much are you asking for the 17" wheels?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
It's because you bought a quality tire. Tires are made differently buy company and specs. Some have softer sidewall then others which is good for ride comfort but sacrifices handling and vice versa.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM

2005 C230K
Originally Posted by phister
It's because you bought a quality tire. Tires are made differently buy company and specs. Some have softer sidewall then others which is good for ride comfort but sacrifices handling and vice versa.
Yea, the weird thing is the handling is still great. Just didn't realize how much tires affected ride quality and then how different some of the brands are.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
handling might be better because you have wider tires and more contact area to the road. plus the dws probably have better temp ratings than the other tires. getting your tires warmed up faster will give you better handling to the road. thats why F1 cars have the heater wraps around the tires not being used and set to a certain temp so that they are maxium grip when they install them.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM

2005 C230K
Originally Posted by phister
handling might be better because you have wider tires and more contact area to the road. plus the dws probably have better temp ratings than the other tires. getting your tires warmed up faster will give you better handling to the road. thats why F1 cars have the heater wraps around the tires not being used and set to a certain temp so that they are maxium grip when they install them.
Makes sense. Thanks for the input. Thinking about playing with the tire pressure a little to get a slightly different handling/comfort balance.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
I'd actually like to do the exact opposite with my daughters car. Hate them. Or maybe it is just the cheapo Nankang tires PO put on the existing 19s that are now falling apart. Two have already had belts separated and the remaining two are not too far behind.

The car now has two Falkens, so I guess I'll know more in a couple of months after the remaining Nankangs are replaced whether I want to consider going to OEM 5-spokes or just stay with the 19s and the Falkens.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM

2005 C230K
Originally Posted by TexFinn
I'd actually like to do the exact opposite with my daughters car. Hate them. Or maybe it is just the cheapo Nankang tires PO put on the existing 19s that are now falling apart. Two have already had belts separated and the remaining two are not too far behind.

The car now has two Falkens, so I guess I'll know more in a couple of months after the remaining Nankangs are replaced whether I want to consider going to OEM 5-spokes or just stay with the 19s and the Falkens.
Yea I mean I definitely expected the ride to be harsher. Going back to 17" wheels while keeping the same model tire would give you a better ride. But if you're looking into new tires, I'd definitely check out the Continental DWS like I said - soft sidewall for great ride comfort but maintains good handling. I also actually have my OEM 5-spokes for sale (link) if you're interested.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
Saw your wheels for sale and those are exactly the ones I like. However, I'm already halfway through replacing the tires on the 19s, I think I'm going to stick with them for now.

Unless I find some good ones locally. Shipping wheels has gotten a bit expensive in the last few years, anyway...