C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help! My belt broke and now lost all torque after its "fixed!"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes C240
Angry Help! My belt broke and now lost all torque after its "fixed!"

Ok I love this Website & I love my 2003 Mercedes c240! My girlfriend got one and so I did too used. I like the style, chrome trimmings, gas mileage and torque performance. This is my first Mercedes and now is the only car I will drive! Ok back to my "story" I bought it used from Craigslist in LA and got a great deal on it. I loved how much torque and acceleration it has and decided to change the air filters since they were very dirty. First I got the K & N Filter and noticed it seemed to get more power, acceleration and torque but I saw postings that warned of dirt and dust getting through so I switched to paper Wick Filters and it seemed to have less torque but was still great. Then while I was driving on the freeway the Main Belt broke and the battery/alternator warning lamp came on then the power steering went out then the overheating warning came on so I got off the freeway & had AAA Tow it to a local shop that replaced the belt and pulley seal since it was leaking oil. Long story short now I lost all to most if the torque I had before! How and why? What can I do to fix it? It bothers me a lot that I lost the fun torque!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
The fact that the engine may have overheated is a worry.

I hope that you have not done a head gasket. Check if you are using coolant & if your oil level is rising. Also make sure your oil is not showing signs of emulsification. Check your oil filler cap for cheesy emulsification.

A compression check is also a good idea to check for internal damage.ie valves or rings.

Good luck & keep us posted.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 AM

2003 Mercedes C240
Wow thank you Carsy will do! :o)

Thank you so much Carsy! Your reply is very appreciated and will do. I love this website and being part of the Mercedes community and family! What if I do have cheesy emulsification, does that mean I have blown head gasket? I was worried about these problems too, my c240 still runs fast and well but the push back into my seat torque just is a lot less than before. I was going to change the belt but it looked fine, no fraying, no sign of wear or tear and I just bought it used and on board computer said 6,900 more miles until tune up needed. I even went to a independent mechanic to have them "check it out" so he looked at everything quickly and didn't mention the belt needing changing either instead he told me about 6,900 more miles before needing full tune up and that when I had 3 free days to drop off the c240 and he can give me full estimate of needed repairs. So I drove around and then "snapped belt" on the freeway! Super Bummer I wish I had changed the darn belt! But it "seemed" fine. Man now I have to check out all the possible damage. The independent shop said it was "ok" but they only changed the belt and pulley seal(leaked due to belt snap). The c240 is my pride, joy, it's like my baby! Ok will post here after everything thank you again! I read somewhere on this website that changing the pulley adds more torque? Any info on that please?

Last edited by MBFanBryan; 01-22-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added questions.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I've recently sold my 2003 C240. It was a great car.

You can change the crank pulley & underdrive the accessories. I don't recommend it. Just sort out the problem & enjoy the car.

Mayonnaise under the oil cap is a pretty sure sign of a head gasket leak.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Mmmm, Miracle Whip.

With a 240, you're better off just enjoying the ride and not trying to gain any torque or hp. It's not the best platform to work from. I'd concentrate on suspension, wheels, tires, and cosmetics instead.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 W203 2.5L V6
MBFanBryan

How did you get to overheat your engine once the serpentine belt broke?
For how long did you keep on driving after the snap?

I guess I'm trying to find out if there is a safety buffer from the "snap" to overheating...
Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 AM

C180 Kompressor Wagon
The coolant circulation stops the instant the belt snaps. From there on the heat around the combustion chambers stays more or less in the cylinder head.
When the coolant in the head starts boiling at around 250 degrees it's "game over" as there is nothing that can absorb the heat, and the aluminum will start to deform.

Note also that with no circulation, the heat is not transfered (as quickly) to the temp sensor which sends to the temp meter in the dash.

There is no safety margin. These all-aluminium engines, once at working temperature, should not be operated at all without coolant circulation.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I guess I was lucky. My belt broke and the only thing that happened was my pants fell down!

Oh, clean the MAF sensor. After the K&N filter made it dirty, the engine might be in MAF out mode.

Last edited by Moviela; 01-24-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 c240 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I've recently sold my 2003 C240. It was a great car.

You can change the crank pulley & underdrive the accessories. I don't recommend it. Just sort out the problem & enjoy the car.

Mayonnaise under the oil cap is a pretty sure sign of a head gasket leak.

well that is usually 100% true in MY case not so MY location (Ontario,canada) and the fact i take very short trips 5km each way daily i get the mayonnaise under my oil cap (untill i take a 30 min, min hwy drive)

now seeing the orig poster is in la he would not have same problems as me
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
+1^. In very cold areas with too many short trips free water content can build up to 7 or 8% of sump content. I noted location.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM

'07 W203 2.5L V6
torake

The coolant circulation stops the instant the belt snaps. From there on the heat around the combustion chambers stays more or less in the cylinder head.
When the coolant in the head starts boiling at around 250 degrees it's "game over" as there is nothing that can absorb the heat, and the aluminum will start to deform.

Note also that with no circulation, the heat is not transfered (as quickly) to the temp sensor which sends to the temp meter in the dash.

There is no safety margin. These all-aluminium engines, once at working temperature, should not be operated at all without coolant circulation.

That's what I was getting at. So, the belt snapped. Do you have 30 seconds to pull over and stop? Do you have 10 seconds? 5?

How many seconds does the driver have before the problem gets worse?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 c240 4matic wagon
if it were me id pull over ASAP, not next exit if it was safe pull over right away. ive allways told my wife that as well if oil light comes on OR temp guage pull over id rather pay for a tow then an engine!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
If belt snaps and coolant circulations stops since water pump is no longer working,... turn on interior HVAC to high heat and high fan,... it'll get that little fist size coolant pump for interior heating in front of the coolant reservior going. Definitely NOT the amount of coolant circulation you'll need but this little coolant circulation will buy you a bit of time,... maybe.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:31 AM

2003 Mercedes C240
Wow thank you everyone for your advice and information! I am so happy with my 2003 Mercedes c240 I can go on and on about it! It's my first Mercedes ever as I always wanted one but now that I have it I got to experience the luxury, performance, prestige and I am getting so much positive attention too! People actually treat me better from the gas station owner asking that please come by often to the way women look at me very flirtatiously, even Taxi drivers treat me with respect on the road previously I had a nice sporty convertible car (brand withheld) but taxi drivers would play driving games with me that gave me road rage! After owning a Mercedes taxi drivers get out of my way so they can check out my ride and they treat me with respect! I also feel that the high attention to design and performance has improved all others of my life too now I am on a whole new level of being and I feel like a new person a better person the person I always wanted to be. I can go on and on about all the positive benefits of owning and driving the best car in the World! I am so thankful for this new experience and also for all the help from MBWorld.com THANK YOU! Also the Mercedes is impressing me more and more everyday it is truly the best car in the world now I wonder why anyone would buy or drive anything else but a Mercedes!? It is exhilarating amazing performance solid design and safety and super fast. It brings out all the best qualities that I have inside of me. But back to the questions at hand: to prove the amazing qualities of the Mercedes I believe that the computer would have shut down the engine before any real damage was done I was on the freeway when the belt snapped so it was not easy to just "pull over" as it was rush hour in Los Angeles and do it took me 10 minutes to get off the freeway and to pull over safely but it looked like it only reached 120' degrees or was it 102' degrees? It was one or the other and I knew I only had minutes before any real damage would occur. The thing is I didn't know the belt snapped. I thought the battery was low or the alternator was failing. But anyway after getting a new belt and pulley seal it took the c240 only 1 day to make adjustments and all the Torque and performance all came back the next day! Can you imagine how big my smile was? I WAS SO HAPPY and the Mercedes is beyond amazing that it is like a thinking car with self adjustments talk about high tech! So I did not get the compression checked and I didn't get my manual from the dealership yet I ordered it a week ago although my new center caps came in and it made me so hap
Old 01-24-2013, 02:37 AM

2003 Mercedes C240
Happy! My Mercedes is a constant source of joy for me! I
Know this may sound weird but compared to women or friends my Mercedes is more dependable and more reliable than either one! Lol! Thank you everyone for your advice. I am waiting to get my manual so I can do everything right now I don't know where everything is. Also I will check compression and head gasket when I have time to go to the repair shop but for now the torque and performance is back as I am passing other drivers and having the best times of my life! I only wish I was able to own a Mercedes sooner. I am completely amazed at how much my life has improved since I got it. I feel more successful, confident, I am living the Dream and having the most fun with my life all thanks to my 2003 Mercedes c240. I will only be driving a Mercedes for the rest of my life that's for sure! Thank you again everyone!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just be careful you do not have an orgasm whilst driving . It may take your attention away from the road.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM

2003 Mercedes C240
Ha ha Carsy! Well driving my Mercedes IS Better than sex! And I get to "do it" whenever I want AND no dinner or drinks first! LoL :o)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 AM

10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
Good to hear you like your new car.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 AM

2003 Mercedes C240
Thank you TexFinn! I really live it and can honestly say it has improved my life and everyday has been a exciting thrilling adventure. Definitely the Best thing I ever bought or owned in my entire life so far and I have owned boats, jet skis, motorcycles(2nd best but stopped riding too dangerous). The Mercedes has brought me excitement, joy, pride of ownership and pleasure at age 41 I feel like a 21 year old again! Love it!!! :o)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM

C180 Kompressor Wagon
Originally Posted by TorontoW203
So, the belt snapped. Do you have 30 seconds to pull over and stop? Do you have 10 seconds? 5?

How many seconds does the driver have before the problem gets worse?
Apparently, according to the OP, the margin is at least 10 minutes driving in rush hour.
I would say step #1 is: let off the gas immediately, heat generation is directly proportional to power output (hey, it's a combustion engine...), pull over and drive slowly to a place where you can safely wait for a tow.
At or near idle it'll take a few minutes before the coolant boils (but it will!). Going uphill at 65mph, the engine is generating maybe 10x the heat, overheating 10x as fast.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM

13 Jeep JKU Sahara w/4" lift Kit & the works,2015 Toyota Sienna XLE,2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Originally Posted by Carsy
Just be careful you do not have an orgasm whilst driving . It may take your attention away from the road.
i knew for some reason that ^^^^ was coming....

Enjoy ur ride bro....and yes it is truly addictive.....just imagine what a 2013/12 might feel like....

javvy
Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM

2002 MERCEDES BENZ C320
Carsy, that was funny , i had a good laugh , Do you think that MB is paying Bryan to make this add ? I have seen some that thye say , they will never own one , as far as me , i hate all the very complicated issues that come up with no previous notice notice !!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KHARBAT1
Carsy, that was funny , i had a good laugh , Do you think that MB is paying Bryan to make this add ?!!
No I am sure that is not the case

Bryan is just being Bryan & enjoying his MB.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 PM

2002 MERCEDES BENZ C320
Originally Posted by Carsy
No I am sure that is not the case

Bryan is just being Bryan & enjoying his MB.
Good for him , mine is a source of headechs with the dirver's rear window didnot come up as i was laughing at his posting , 5 minutes before i posted this email .
Old 02-02-2013, 01:49 AM

2003 Mercedes C240
Ha ha you guys are all too funny! I love the comraderie, humor and help on this Website! Yes I am a 1st time Mercedes owner and I am thoroughly enjoying all the perks, benefits and pleasures and yes would love a 2012/2013 but currently enjoying my 2003 c240 after that has too many miles then a new MB is definitely next!

Ok so NEW Question: everything was going GREAT then my Idle was really messed up & shaking at red lights so I figured it was time for a Tune Up even though the computer said 6,500 more miles. So I tried to find a "Good Independent" repair shop and got seriously screwed over bad! First I scoped it out they had a lot of cars and newer nicer Mercedes they were fixing so I figured busy means happy customers right? Wrong I feel raped! First the owner "David" quoted me oh for a full tune up it's between $1,200 to $1,500. So I figured ok sounds ok so I decided to give him and his shop a try it looked clean and busy good signs right? So I asked him to do it and to please write out the parts and labor first on the invoice so I can sign it. He gave me some weird excuse that the parts have to come in first before he can do that which was a very bad answer I guess I should have left there and then because I gave him a chance to prove himself so he fixes it tunes it up then next day gives me invoice for $1,500. I asked him you said $1,200 to $1,500 he replied well it was turned out to be $1,500! With tax it was like $1,600. Then he tells me oh by the way your ignition wires are very frail needs to be replaced and is $200. I asked him wasn't that part of the complete tune up? He said no MB parts are expensive and only oil change, spark plugs, etc are part of tune up. I was like what the heck? Is he messing with me? So he says look take the car home you will notice most of the shake is gone in idle but there still a little because of wires so bring the car back tomorrow we will replace it $200 and I won't charge you for labor. I thought hmmm ok so I go home and see most wire sets are around $150 on the Internet. Ok fine he charges me $200 no big deal. So I go back and drop the car off and pick it up in 3 hours and he writes up a $327 invoice bill! I was pissed off I said "Hey you told me it was $200 and no labor charges!" He then looks at me and says "oh no it's $300 and I didn't charge you for labor it's $327 with tax, see?" He points to invoice it says $300 for wire set. WTF??? Did I get raped or what? I just give him my credit card and vow never to go back ever such BS! Do mechanics feel they can scam is because we own MB and we are just so loaded we don't mind being ripped off??? I don't know about everyone else but I work too dam hard to be scammed or to waste money or be tricked with lies! I didn't buy a Mercedes so jerky mechanics can just scam me all they want that's not part if the deal!

Please can SOMEONE recommend a Honest Independent MB Garage/Mechanic in Los Angeles area? Near LAX or Santa Monica would be ideal but open to ANY in Los Angeles that writes down parts costs & labor costs and let's you sign and approve BEFORE starting work and over charging!!!

Last edited by MBFanBryan; 02-02-2013 at 01:55 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! My belt broke and now lost all torque after its "fixed!"