C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

flush/panel mount mic for aftermarket stereo

Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
flush/panel mount mic for aftermarket stereo

I am preparing to install a Pioneer AVIC double-bin GPS, and I would like to mount the microphone directly in the mounting faceplate if possible. Are there any aftermarket car microphones that will mount relatively flush in a panel?

Thanks. John
Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
Just drill a hole that fits the mic.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM

2005 c230SS
That was my original thought -- to just drill a hole and glue the mic into it with clear silicon caulking in the back.

However the Pioneer mic has a pretty big barrel diameter (7/16"?) which makes it not very easy to drill a clean hole, and the mic has louvres on the rear of the barrel which might be needed for acoustic pickup (a common cardioid barrel mic design).

So I thought before wrecking my faceplate and ending up with a mic that sounds terrible, I'd try to find a mic that is designed specifically for surface mounting.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLC300 4Matic
From past experience I am going to say to mount the mic on the steering column, that's where I have mine mounted and it is a pioneer unit as well.

I originally had place the mic in the stock location on the roof using the MB mic - but the MB mic is not the best quality to use in conjunction with the pioneer unit. So I installed the pioneer mic in that location because it is at a level where it captures everything when naturally speaking.

I use the voice recognition a lot when dialing and also searching songs to play.

good luck!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 PM

2005 c230SS
Sounds like it's not worth trying to tap into the stock mic -- although my car has the pre-wiring so it's supposed to be in there somewhere.

In a previous car I had the mic mounted on the steering column and it also worked really well ... that's my fallback position if I cannot come up with something more elegant.

I was hoping to fit it into one of the switch blanks just above the stereo, or even in the top left-hand corner of the faceplate itself, where it's only 7-8 inches away from the steering column position ... but this is only if I can find a flush mount mic that will install with a clean appearance. I'm thinking just about any condensor mic with normal gain characteristics will work on this radio (e.g. there's of lavalier mics with 3.5mm plug ... I just haven't found one that can be flush mounted.)

Thanks. John
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLC300 4Matic
One of the drawbacks of using the OEM mic is that when you open the sunroof I had people complaint that they could not hear me due to background noise.

If you put the mic on the center of the dash you will also have problems when talking. During the test I run, I had my wife on the other end and she could only hear half the sentences when naturally talking - I had to tilt my head towards the center console and when driving this is not a good thing to do everytime a call comes in. Perhaps a better mic..
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
i have mine on the rear view mirror bracket and angled towards me. its kind of hidden
Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 PM

2005 c230SS
Where exactly is the oem mic? It is in the done light assembly? In my car, the little louvered grille panels on the dome light assembly are open on the passenger side and closed on the drivers side. I thought the mic might be in there but why face it towards the passenger?

Can you guys post pics of your mic installs? I would be curious as to appearance.

Also, do you know the sensitivity specs of the stock radio mics? I do theater sound as a side hobby and the body lavalier mics we use in theater (e.g. Countryman B3) should dramatically outshine the Pioneer stock mic, not to mention hide much more easily. I may be up for trying one.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 UFO
You can wire the cable through the dashboard, up the A pillar, along the headliner, and behind the mirror. I believe that's where the OEM mic is.